Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:46:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the community forgive Matthew N. Wright?
yes
no
not sure
who is Matthew N. Wright?
forgive but never forget
I dont care

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Matthew N. Wright friend or foe  (Read 3083 times)
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:50:54 AM

Maybe if all victims could agree on a punishment/fine, it could work (like a 1000 BTC donation to a charity, or developing a specific project). Of course it needs to be a consensus, so either everone must agree or debt to those left out need to be settled individually.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 01:36:05 PM

Maybe if all victims could agree on a punishment/fine, it could work (like a 1000 BTC donation to a charity, or developing a specific project). Of course it needs to be a consensus, so either everone must agree or debt to those left out need to be settled individually.
I would agree to this. I vote for a 1000 btc donation to torservers.net.

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 02:11:12 PM

I would agree to this. I vote for a 1000 btc donation to torservers.net.
nice idea Tongue

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 03:59:12 PM

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I will consider making a donation to torservers both financially and by contributing work as well in the future, but for now I believe the individual settling of this debt is the proper way to go. I have an idea for how to curb my trolling attitude, and it does in fact involve helping others with their project for no profit, so that is kind of in line with what you guys are thinking. I think.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2013, 04:27:27 PM

OP add option for "FAG"

So friend, foe, or fag  Cheesy
+1

Yeah... Fuck you both.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 04:35:15 PM

I am going to say this, I believe Matthew made a bad taste in a "joke" with the pirate bet.

Matthew indicated in the "I need help" thread" that he believed Pirate would pay and the profits from him winning the bet would help him with some real world financial problems.    It doesn't sound like a "joke".  If he had won he would have sought losers to pay.   He just never had the ability or intent to pay if he lost.  Then again he didn't think he would lose so it was a no consequence method to make money.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 04:38:41 PM

I am going to say this, I believe Matthew made a bad taste in a "joke" with the pirate bet.

Matthew indicated in the "I need help" thread" that he believed Pirate would pay and the profits from him winning the bet would help him with some real world financial problems.    It doesn't sound like a "joke".  If he had won he would have sought losers to pay.   He just never had the ability or intent to pay if he lost.  Then again he didn't think he would lose.  

He was just joking about paying off if he lost.  If he won, he was serious about taking the money.  The morality of a thief.  He somehow doesn't seem to realize he just digs himself deeper any time he posts shit like that.  The scammer tag is quite appropriate.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 04:40:41 PM

Matthew indicated in the "I need help" thread" that he believed Pirate would pay and the profits from him winning the bet would help him with some real world financial problems.    It doesn't sound like a "joke".  If he had won he would have sought losers to pay.   He just never had the ability or intent to pay if he lost.  Then again he didn't think he would lose.  

I initially intended to teach the community a lesson about trust, I did not expect anyone to really take the bets and thus I did not expect to keep any profits. As the bets grew though, I was tempted with greed and I fell into a trap. I flipped back and forth between playing a prank (as it was intended) and actually trying to solve my financial situation (which was becoming dire). I did truly believe that Pirate was going to pay back and I fell for it. I also believe that I intended to pay anyone I lost when it was around 1000 BTC, but as I flip-flopped on my own reasoning and was enjoying the entertainment/trolling so much, I lost control and couldn't stop myself. The attention was just too entertaining and now I will go down in history as the retard who went full retard on the forums-- but I will not go down in history as the guy who ran away from his responsibilities. During the betting process, I hadn't considered people would actually lose money (I seldom plan ahead) and it hadn't occurred to me until shortly after the bet was over that I had actually cost people money/opportunity in large amounts.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 04:45:35 PM

and?

"I will not go down in history as the guy who ran away from his responsibilities."

Yes you will.  You owe over $1M and have indicated you have no ability or intent to repay it.  The only outcomes that isn't "ran away from responsibilities" is repayment of the money you owe.  Period.  Your long rationalization on how/why the theft occurred is meaningless.  A guy on trial for raping someone can hardly use as a defense that when the date started it wasn't his intent to rape anyone and he didn't realize until after the attack that he might have hurt someone. 

You did intend to steal.
You did believe Pirate would pay and thus profit handsomely (even if only a small % of bets actually paid) despite having no intent to pay if you lost.
You did cause others to suffer a loss.
You do not have any intention on repaying those you owe in full.

What part of that seems like responsible?  Are you delusional enough to think merely posting on a forum with no intent to repay, somehow makes you responsible?  
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 04:57:06 PM

and?

"I will not go down in history as the guy who ran away from his responsibilities."

Yes you will.  You owe over $1M and have indicated you have no ability or intent to repay it.  The only outcomes that isn't "ran away from responsibilities" is repayment of the money you owe.  Period.  Your long rationalization on how/why the theft occurred is meaningless.

You did intend to steal.
You did believe Pirate would pay and thus profit handsomly (even if only a small % of bets actually paid).
You did cause others to suffer a loss.
You do not have any intention on repaying those you owe in full.

What part of that seems like responsible?  Are you delusional enough to think coming back to the forum with no intent to repay is somehow responsible? 

In all honestly, your entire post hinges around a misunderstanding so it is actually difficult to give a response to. That said, I have always watched your posts with great admiration at their depth and knowledge and that also pains me that I could not have given a better impression to the people, like you, that I actually admired.

I understand that you are aggravated with me. Thank you for helping to address the issues with what I did and why it was wrong. I do agree with you that it was horrible taste, awful behavior, and completely unacceptable. This and no other is the reason for asking "What should I do?". I see now you perceived this as meaning "can I come back without paying anything?". This is far from the case though. As for my actions, I will keep adjusting my attitude and personality and see what happens in life from there.

Thank you for your continued concern, I know it is in everyone's best interest including mine.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2013, 07:11:00 PM

What I would find interesting is: Did you really think pirate would pay?

Because, if you did making the bet would be a worse offense than otherwise.
Making an unjust claim/bet/whatever on purpose would just be clownish.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2013, 11:07:49 PM

Maybe if all victims could agree...

Lol! That's funny  Cheesy
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 12:33:15 AM

What I would find interesting is: Did you really think pirate would pay?

Indeed, it raises the question of what the "lesson in trust" was supposed to be.  Was it supposed to be that the community shouldn't doubt people or that they shouldn't blindly trust high profile members? 

If there was an honest belief that pirate would pay, then the only intended lesson which makes any sense is that people shouldn't be so cynical.

If the intended lesson was "trust no-one", then I don't see how an honest belief that pirate would pay could have existed - rather the "lesson" seems to be about how greed encourages unwarranted trust (first in pirate and then in Matthew).

I'm still confused about nature of the intended "lesson".

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:08:49 AM

Indeed, it raises the question of what the "lesson in trust" was supposed to be.  Was it supposed to be that the community shouldn't doubt people or that they shouldn't blindly trust high profile members? 
I think I can help clarify this just a bit. At the time the bet was made, the forum was full of people left and right arguing about things they didn't know the real answer to (a troll's paradise), one side claiming that payback would be impossible and another side claiming that Pirate was a saint. The original lesson was intended for people who threw trust at pirate and other "funds" so easily, hence the comical nature of a bet that size without escrow. In my mind at the time, I was hurting no one except for people who needed to be reminded to stop trusting people so easily. That logic was obviously flawed and I was soon to realize that when it cost people money in the process.

The major mistake I made was not sticking with the prank. I fell to temptation and flip-flopped on my original reasoning. I started to believe it would be possible for pirate to pay back (perhaps) and I got out of control. Once I realized that there was no turning back, that's when everyone noticed a bizarre change in my attitude. I'm not proud of it, I've had to do some serious thinking about my life, my personality, my attitude and what I'm even doing here, but I came to the conclusion that I was overworked, in a position of trust disproportionate to my level of maturity and responsibilities, and I quickly screwed it up. The whole "not keeping my word" part was because I honestly had no idea how to go about it. No one is sitting on that amount of money and I didn't stick to one side, as I said, I flip flipped in my own mind and I believe that that is the most serious part of my mistake. As others have mentioned, if I would have kept just being a dick it might have been openly accepted as a prank, but I didn't have the sense to do that and as people have noted, I was tempted to try and make that situation into something that would also help my then poor financial situation. It was stupid of me, it was dishonest, it was something I'm not proud of, and it's a situation I won't let myself get into again.

I was raised a Christian and still have many of those same values in my life. I believe in sharing, I believe in forgiveness and I believe in making right on things you have done wrong. In my heart I knew I had to make things right once I learned of the magnitude of my mistake, but I was embarrassed and scared and didn't know how to clean up the large mess I made, as it was then something I could no longer control. This doesn't mean I'm a scammer, that I spend my nights and days looking for ways to cheat people for easy money, or that I am unfit for society. I work hard and always have, and I my anxiousness to be a part of something and lead (overzealousness?) is also misinterpreted as a sign of a scammer by some. It most certainly does mean that I did not put enough thought into my actions, that I was tempted with greed, and that I failed that temptation along with failing to understand the consequences of my actions beforehand. Looking back it seems so simple what I did and how it was so wrong. I just wish I would have had the sense to have steered clear when everyone was warning me at the time. I feel so stupid.

In short, the "lesson" was originally that people shouldn't trust others when they make outrageous claims and put nothing behind it. I let it go to far and changed the nature of the bet by flip-flopping and that is where I ruined myself. I understand that, I'm sorry for that, and now I am trying to make amends for that.

payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:39:11 AM

scammer tag doesn't seem to mean much.

even after the tag was applied matt is still trustworthy... made good on a few BTC/KRW trades.

+1
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:22:40 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2013, 02:41:45 AM by DeathAndTaxes

even before the tag was applied matt was still untrustworthy...

FYPFY
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:40:49 AM

even before the tag was applied matt is still untrustworthy...

FYPFY

I'd have to agree. The situation grossly mismatched my maturity and professionalism and I feel bad about it. You could argue that for this level of involvement I was untrustworthy and although I intended on being exactly that in a comical way, it turned into a reality. That said, I am here now to make amends for my bad behavior and I know it's a bit soon, but as hard is it is to tackle this, I hope that that my efforts to make amends will help paint a more detailed picture of my character and not just the mistakes I made.

stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 06:08:46 AM

He was just joking about paying off if he lost.  If he won, he was serious about taking the money.  The morality of a thief.  He somehow doesn't seem to realize he just digs himself deeper any time he posts shit like that.  The scammer tag is quite appropriate.

I agree, I have no doubt that if Pirate paid up that the debt would have been due and that the counter parties had intention to pay if their bet was lost. 

He has some real attention seeking psychological problems.  He has left the forums a few months because of his trolling before just to crawl back later with all these apologizes.    It is like an abusive spouse that beats his wife and comes back later all sorry just to beat her again.  The best way to confront a person like this is called tactical ignoring.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 08:56:13 AM

I agree, I have no doubt that if Pirate paid up that the debt would have been due and that the counter parties had intention to pay if their bet was lost.
I have received dozens of emails to a different tone actually. "I assumed you were just trolling", "Why are you bothering to pay anyone back? They deserve to have lost something", and other emails to that nature. The fact that I'm here to resolve things despite the repeated advice (read: Rassah) I've received to do the contrary should read in to my true intentions here. I do feel bad for what happened and I hope I can make things right again in time.

bbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330

Bitcoin

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 05:55:05 AM

OP add option for "FAG"

So friend, foe, or fag  Cheesy
+1

Yeah... Fuck you both.

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

█████████████████     ████████
       ████████              ████████
     ████████     ███████  ████████     ████████
    ████████     █████████████████     ████████
████████     ████████  ███████     ████████
          ████████     █████████████████
▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
▬▬ THE LARGEST & MOST TRUSTED ▬▬
      BITCOIN SPORTSBOOK     
   ▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
             ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀        ▀▄▄▄▄           
▄▀▀▀▀                 █   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
█                    ▀▄          █
 █   ▀▌     ██▄        █          █               
 ▀▄        ▐████▄       █        █
  █        ███████▄     ▀▄       █
   █      ▐████▄█████████████████████▄
   ▀▄     ███████▀                  ▀██
    █      ▀█████    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
     █       ▀███   ████      ████   ██
     ▀▄        ██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
      █        ██        ▄██▄        ██
       █       ██        ▀██▀        ██
       ▀▄      ██    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
        █      ██   ████      ████   ██
         █▄▄▄▄▀██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
               ██▄                  ▄██
                ▀████████████████████▀

CASINO  ●  DICE  ●  POKER   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   24 hour Customer Support   

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: