Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:05:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: timestamps in red for necromanced threads  (Read 726 times)
niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 01:55:22 AM

I've got nothing against revived old threads, as long as I am aware of their age. I know there is a warning when posting in an old topic, but there is no (obvious) warning when viewing it.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 02:01:19 AM

I think it would be easy to switch the color of the "new" icon that appears next to new posts from blue to red (like you suggested) for new posts that have been submitted in threads that haven't been posted in over a certain period of time (say, a month or two). Was that the kind of idea you had in mind? I think it would help a lot.
niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 06:46:19 AM

I think it would be easy to switch the color of the "new" icon that appears next to new posts from blue to red (like you suggested) for new posts that have been submitted in threads that haven't been posted in over a certain period of time (say, a month or two). Was that the kind of idea you had in mind? I think it would help a lot.

That would work too, except it might be perceived as a "CLICK ME, I'M RED!!"... I was thinking old timestamps displayed in red when viewing the thread - not clickable, but screams "PAY ATTENTION TO THIS DATE".

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 10:11:36 AM

I don't think that's a bad idea, I can't remember where this was but I think someone had a similar idea etc. or something where if the thread was extremely old they'd put a skull next to it after a thread hadn't been posted for a certain amount of time, so I think that would be a good way of letting you know how old it is. You know, aside from just checking the date the person posted last >_>
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 10:33:54 AM

i have never understood the fear for old threads as it adds value to a forum as a knowledge database. Out of habit I always check the date before I Post, who is to judge a thread irrellevant because of age?

A speculation thread, which fast get out of date, is still relevant as a measure of sentiment, active posters etc. even after years.

Alternatively we will end up multiple threads on the same subject, and searching will become more difficult.

Colouring of the headline after a set time is a good suggestion, but no locking of old threads please!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: