Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:43:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU suggestions?  (Read 1663 times)
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 11:48:17 PM

Wow! Newegg is fast, the PSU is already here.
They are quite good with sending you stuff, not so good when you need to send something back.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 12:35:25 PM

the 5770/6770s run really hot and die pretty fast mining, mine lasted only 4 months!

I'd rather have the 5830, very overclockable, and stays cool and quiet.

In fact it out guns my 6850 Double D in every way except power usage.
warbdan (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 11:50:51 PM

I got the PSU installed no problem, but the GPU ran into some clearance issues with the SATA connections on my MOBO. Angled SATA cables are on the way, but I haven't been able to mine for a few days now  Angry Hopefully, the card will play catch up for me  Grin
warbdan (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 11:46:46 PM

I need some help here guys. I got my angled sata cables in today, got the card installed, but when I boot up.... no display at all. I uninstalled all the old NVidia drivers. I even downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the 5830. When I put it back in and booted again.. no display at all, but the fan is spinning. Am I missing something here? Is the card junk? Is the Raidmax 530w PSU not enough? I'm about to go apeshit crazy here.
noncecents

Activity: 74

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 12:52:28 AM

I need some help here guys. I got my angled sata cables in today, got the card installed, but when I boot up.... no display at all. I uninstalled all the old NVidia drivers. I even downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the 5830. When I put it back in and booted again.. no display at all, but the fan is spinning. Am I missing something here? Is the card junk? Is the Raidmax 530w PSU not enough? I'm about to go apeshit crazy here.

Newer video cards require separate power cables to be plugged into them.

Check the manual for the card to see what your power cable options are and plug those cables in.

Also check the power requirements for your card.

A quick google search shows that your card uses about 350W which means you have about 200W overhead for all your PC's other components.
hjr29

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 01:23:36 AM

Only high-end GPUs require power cables. For Bitcoin mining those are probably what you want, anyway. However, is it still worth using GPUs at all? FPGAs are more power efficient, and ASICs are just around the corner. The only real advantage that I can think of, is that at least you can still use the GPU for games and general computer usage, which cannot be said for FPGAs and ASICs.
warbdan (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 01:25:40 AM

Check the manual for the card to see what your power cable options are and plug those cables in.

Also check the power requirements for your card.

A quick google search shows that your card uses about 350W which means you have about 200W overhead for all your PC's other components.

The raidmax has 2 6-pin connectors for the PCI-E. That's why I ordered it. I'm thinking the card is a dud.
kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 02:00:40 AM

So, I would need the PSU with 2 connectors. Thanks for clearing that up, or are you saying it will work with 1 connector using an adapter to split? I'm still unsure. I'd prefer the PSU with 2 connectors, but it's a little on the big side for my HP case. I could probably still make it work, but the one another member suggested would fit better even though it's a 1 - 6 pin connector PSU. LOL, this shouldn't be this confusing.
The Raidmax PSU should work, but it is known to be a bad brand of PSU. I wouldn't trust my hardware running on a raidmax PSU. Coolermaster is about as low as I'll go in terms of overall build quality on PSU's. The 500w model I linked you would've worked; just convert molex connector into another 6-pin PCI-E. It has 2 seperate 18amp 12v rails, either of which a 5830 will happily run off of. Ideally you want Seasonic/Corsair 80+ gold rated PSU's. While it's entirely possible that the 5830 you got is no good, it's also possible that the PSU you received is also no good. PSU's with a single 12V rail are typically preferred, and of higher build quality.
warbdan (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 03:49:16 PM

The ebay seller says the card was working in his PC. It seems the raidmax doesn't have enough power. When I turn on the pc, the GPU fan spins, but the HDD doesn't boot. Nothing happens on the display at all, no HDD light flickering, nothing. I got an RMA from Newegg, which is simple BTW, and I've got a Corsair 650w unit picked out. If that doesn't work, the ebay seller is gonna have to take this card back.
warbdan (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 08:35:14 PM

I returned the raidmax and got a corsair tx650. Still no boot. WTF? I unplugged everything but the 5830 from the new psu and plugged everything else into the old psu to see if the corsair would run just the gpu, but the pc is not even recognizing the 5830 as being plugged in. I've got an old monitor running from the onboard video to be able to post. Any suggestions? Is the card shit or did I get a bad PSU? I'm stumped. Oh, and FWIW, I did uninstall the nvidia drivers and installed the latest ati drivers.

PC is an hp elite 9000 if that makes any difference.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: