Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:08:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More profitable alternative cryptocurrencies  (Read 2859 times)
Walter Rothbard (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2013, 09:48:35 PM

I was surprised to see a comment on one thread here that it was more profitable to mine litecoin that bitcoin.  I didn't realize any of the alternative currencies had enough uptake to make them that profitable yet.  What currencies are more profitable to mine that bitcoin right now, and what is making them more profitable?

Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:33:44 AM

LTC "can" be more profitable than BTC. The LTC difficulty keeps swinging up and down as people jump on the bandwagon when the diff is low, and then jump off when the diff adjusts and it's not profitable anymore.

If the price of alt-coins like LTC would go up, then obv more people would stick with it, even thru a higher difficulty. The problem is that the LTC price isn't going up. It's staying the same. I read that as follows: No one wants LTC. If price drives difficulty (as it has been proven), and the price of LTC is remaining constant, then the LTC market can't handle hundreds of users switching their GPUs. People have been thinking for months that when ASICs hit, they'll switch to LTC, but they don't realize just how unprofitable that will be when everyone switches, and the price remains the same. Pumping the difficulty 10x won't increase the price any.

Sorry for my ramblings. Does that make any sense to you?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 03:49:21 AM

Here go, stick your numbers in and have fun!

http://allchains.info/calc.html

^This doesn't include TerraCoin or PPCoin, so it really should be called somechains.info.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Walter Rothbard (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 04:28:52 PM

Yes, it does!  Thank you for the explanation.

MJGrae

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

Sold.

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 07:21:11 PM

LTC "can" be more profitable than BTC. The LTC difficulty keeps swinging up and down as people jump on the bandwagon when the diff is low, and then jump off when the diff adjusts and it's not profitable anymore.

If the price of alt-coins like LTC would go up, then obv more people would stick with it, even thru a higher difficulty. The problem is that the LTC price isn't going up. It's staying the same. I read that as follows: No one wants LTC. If price drives difficulty (as it has been proven), and the price of LTC is remaining constant, then the LTC market can't handle hundreds of users switching their GPUs. People have been thinking for months that when ASICs hit, they'll switch to LTC, but they don't realize just how unprofitable that will be when everyone switches, and the price remains the same. Pumping the difficulty 10x won't increase the price any.

Totally makes sense. Would you happen to have any links on hand to threads showing the statistical significance/correlation of price:difficulty? Not that I'm doubting you, I'd just like some of the better threads from someone who would know.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 08:00:30 PM

Totally makes sense. Would you happen to have any links on hand to threads showing the statistical significance/correlation of price:difficulty? Not that I'm doubting you, I'd just like some of the better threads from someone who would know.
Sure.

Excellent writeup of why Price drives Difficulty. Originally written for BTC, the applies to LTC.
3 Month chart of LTC price, in USD & BTC. The BTC reward half happened right at the slight bump you see in the middle, but it quickly corrected itself.
Litecoinpool has a Litecoin Difficulty Chart, but only goes back 2 weeks. You can still see the up-down-up-down in the difficulty. It's been like this since the reward half almost 2 months ago, but has leveled out some.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
MJGrae

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

Sold.

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 10:06:46 PM

Sure.

Excellent writeup of why Price drives Difficulty. Originally written for BTC, the applies to LTC.
3 Month chart of LTC price, in USD & BTC. The BTC reward half happened right at the slight bump you see in the middle, but it quickly corrected itself.
Litecoinpool has a Litecoin Difficulty Chart, but only goes back 2 weeks. You can still see the up-down-up-down in the difficulty. It's been like this since the reward half almost 2 months ago, but has leveled out some.

These are immensely helpful resources. Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: