Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:33:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alexis Tsipras: "Greece will adopt Bitcoin as its currency for the medium-term"  (Read 1122 times)
b1007 (OP)

Activity: 404
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 09:07:49 PM

You think a headline such as this is realistic? I think it's the only/best option they have left after leaving the Eurozone.

I like to speculate

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vvic

Activity: 144
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 09:18:22 PM

hah! I was dreaming about the same thing. Probably not going to happen, but it would be cool if Greece adopted BTC/LTC. Useful too. If they get dropped out of eurozone, they would need money to start printing own currency. Which might be dropping in value quite fast. Economy is bad, budget is empty, industry is near zero... No real reasons for own greek money to stay high. So, if they did adopt crypto for at least  cashless transactions, it would be way cheaper for them although might not be most convenient, unless they will adopt physical bitcoins too (paper or coins). This would be awesome:D These are just dreams
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 10:06:15 PM

Adopting crypto would mean austerity for the Greeks beyond recognition. All fraud would immediately be forced out with the biggest economic reset conceivable. I wouldn't recommend this to the Greeks unless they cut down all government regulation except for the 10 commandments as well.

badam

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 10:24:30 PM

I don't think this is realistic, greek investors are saving now their money in bitcoin since it is at almost at it's bottom, and their banks can give them even less stability than bitcoin. An extreme Left party would never give out the control of their currency to third party investors, probably they will have a new currency that can be manipulated as Greece needs it
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 11:03:31 PM

I don't think this is realistic, greek investors are saving now their money in bitcoin since it is at almost at it's bottom, and their banks can give them even less stability than bitcoin. An extreme Left party would never give out the control of their currency to third party investors, probably they will have a new currency that can be manipulated as Greece needs it

it's not realistic at all. btw... how do you know greek investors are saving their money in bitcoin? you just don't know what you're talking about.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 11:04:39 PM

The possibility of that happening is several billion times less than zero. No country will ever adopt it. It's an alternative not a replacement.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 12:43:46 AM

You think a headline such as this is realistic? I think it's the only/best option they have left after leaving the Eurozone.

This is only an option if you answer the following question: where will Greece find any money to buy BTC before using it as its official currency? Money doesn't grow on trees, BTC neither. The only realistic option is to start from scratch. Starting a new altcoin or printing new banknotes of a new currency.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
qiwoman2
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 05:42:44 AM

Greeks are not ready for Bitcoin because then there would be even more tax evasion..The country needs to be re educated and good fiscal management should be taught in all schools so the next generation doesn't get to think like the generations that ruined the country..Mainly corrupt politicians and their elite cronies that is.

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 05:58:34 AM

The possibility of that happening is several billion times less than zero. No country will ever adopt it. It's an alternative not a replacement.

A country called Liberian has already adopted bitcoin as their national currency. However, Liverian is a micro country with only 7 people residing in it so yes, its a long way for bitcoin to be adopted by other countries Tongue However, often an alternative have turned out to be a replacement, and I feel that there might be chances of that happening in the future. Maybe not now, but maybe some day Smiley
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 06:10:28 AM

No, not realistic at all.

No country will ever relinquish their own control of their currency or their own control of their economy. It'll never happen AND it should never happen for Bitcoin. As soon as a country calls bitcoin their currency that country will work to control it, and that day will be the downfall of Bitcoin.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 06:12:09 AM

no country with a centralized governments, can adopt it, you need something like liberland(which someone may find as a joke, but at least they do not have a shitty gov that control them...), and it's not a matter if greece people want it or not, it is their governments

so basically their citizens can go ahead and buy bitcoin, but this would not mean that they have adopted it...
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 06:29:04 AM

A country called Liberian has already adopted bitcoin as their national currency. However, Liverian is a micro country with only 7 people residing in it so yes, its a long way for bitcoin to be adopted by other countries Tongue However, often an alternative have turned out to be a replacement, and I feel that there might be chances of that happening in the future. Maybe not now, but maybe some day Smiley

The name is Liberland, not Liberia. Liberia is a country in the Western coast of Africa, which was founded by the freed slaves from the Southern United States. And the Liberland adoption doesn't matter much. They are not recognized by any other country, and they don't have membership in the United Nations.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 06:32:11 AM

Adopting crypto would mean austerity for the Greeks beyond recognition. All fraud would immediately be forced out with the biggest economic reset conceivable. I wouldn't recommend this to the Greeks unless they cut down all government regulation except for the 10 commandments as well.

The government would not adopt crypto because just like you said that immediately gets rid of everyone's pensions and other entitlements.

HOWEVER, if they Grexit and entitlements get lost anyways, the people themselves may choose to adopt crypto aside from whatever new currency the Greek's start printing.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
BillyBones

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 07:04:50 AM

No, it wouldn't be a realistic, How about if the Greece started to print and implement their own currency and get the value fixture according to the IMF, let them forget about past and start as a new and concentrate to work on to improve their economy, in this way they can be an independent to take any decision and plan accordingly.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 12:51:15 PM

They can't print Bitcoins to fund all the gov jobs they have created so this will not happen.

Bitcoin is honest money, countries do not like that as they can't buy shit on their childrens dime.
MGMT

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 01:05:12 PM

Nah, they wont adopt it in any significant amount but some of their citizens will surely use it as an alternative. They'll probably go back to their old currency soon enough.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 01:06:46 PM

Another clickbait thread Smiley
No, this will not happen. Governments will not use a coin that they cannot control. They will probably go back to drachma, print their own money, and end up the same way they started. Governments will never learn, you can only hope individuals learn and start using the objectively superior form of money that Bitcoin is.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 02:14:34 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2015, 04:32:01 PM by n2004al

You surprised me a lot. And make me smiled. It is a charming idea your conception of this thread. When I have read the title of the thread immediately I thought: How is possible that this news is new for me? How is possible that had not read it before? But then when I opened the thread and read your main post I smiled. You ask if it is possible this phrase from Tsipras? I can tell yes if needed that this expression serve its purposes of the moment. Tsipras is a inveterate demagogue. So nothing is impossible with him. It is another thing if it is will be possible that this his "yes" can be verified. You have the example of Varoufakis. A similar idea near this is told by him. You believe that it will be verified in the reality?

As about your thought "if bitcoin can be currency of Greece it will be the best choice if Greece will go out of EU" (even for the moment Greece is within EU and has no immediate risks to go out) I can tell you that this is not possible. Bitcoin cannot be currency of one single country. Bitcoin is currency of the world and it is not possible that can be the currency of one country because is not owned by the country. But is possible create a clone of bitcoin that can be own by the Greeks and that coin (with banknotes) be the currency of Greece. This really, I think, it will be the best choice for them. Even I think it is not possible for to many factors that this option to be verified (even Greece go out of EU).
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 04:08:19 PM

Not this thing again lol. Can you guys stop bumping it? Everytime I see it I get all excited but then I see it's just some guy being hypothetical and imagining things.

Well to sum it up: No it's not going to happen. The people of Greece is not ready for Bitcoin (they are clueless and wouldn't know how to adapt) and Bitcoin isn't ready for Greece (the network still needs improvements to deal with bigger transactions per second). But give it time, and the next time something like this happens, we may see ready, and we may see the price go higher than ever. Then the naysayers will learn.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: