Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:38:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: secure offline wallet alternative method?  (Read 894 times)
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:05:07 AM

There are some guides on the net for how to set up a perfectly secure (baring crazy things like top secret cia robot mosquito cameras) wallet to use as a bitcoin "savings account". example: (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_set_up_a_secure_offline_savings_wallet) But they all seem overly complex. Can anyone think of any flaws in this simpler alternative method?

1) navigate to bitaddress.org and "save page as" to a usb drive.
2) boot ubuntu from live cd.
3) make sure the computer is physically disconnected from the internet
4) run bitaddress.org.htm and generate a private key
6) physically write the private key down on a piece of paper and save a text file with a copy of the private key to the usb drive
7) lock the piece of paper and the usb drive away in a fire proof safe

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2013, 05:42:13 AM

6) physically write the private key down on a piece of paper and save a text file with a copy of the private key to the usb drive

If you are going to do that it might be best if you then later typed back in (by reading from your written down version) that private key into say an offline version of brainwallet.org (just to be certain that you didn't write it down incorrectly as that could be a disastor).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2013, 07:27:45 AM

If you are going to do that it might be best if you then later typed back in (by reading from your written down version) that private key into say an offline version of brainwallet.org (just to be certain that you didn't write it down incorrectly as that could be a disastor).

Obviously you should be careful, but it isn't a disaster to have to check all possible typos after you realize it isn't right.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2013, 07:46:28 AM

Obviously you should be careful, but it isn't a disaster to have to check all possible typos after you realize it isn't right.

True - although the stress of thinking that you even *might* have lost your bitcoins could itself be. Smiley

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 07:50:48 PM

thanks guys. if that is my biggest worry than this method sounds pretty secure =)

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 07:32:51 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2013, 10:49:19 PM by etotheipi

How about you use Armory offline wallets?  That's precisely why I built Armory, was to make this feature dead simple.  Create a full wallet on an offline computer, make a one-time-ever backup.  Make a watching-only copy for your online computer.  Generate millions of addresses without fear.  Send coins using a USB key to get transactions signed.  It's mostly described in the program itself.

(unfortunately, I would link you to the tutorial on the website, but I just got notification that the website is down for the day.  gah!  you can download the latest version from here:  https://code.google.com/p/bitcoinarmory/downloads/list)

EDIT:  Website backup.  Checkout the Armory Quick-Start Guide and the Offline wallet tutorial.  

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
AsymmetricInformation

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 08:20:23 PM

How about you use Armory offline wallets?  That's precisely why I built Armory, was to make this feature dead simple.  Create a full wallet on an offline computer, make a backup.  Make a watching-only copy for your online computer.  Generate addresses without fear.  Send coins using a USB key.  It's mostly described in the program itself.

(unfortunately, I would link you to the tutorial on the website, but I just got notification that the website is down for the day.  gah!  you can download the latest version from here:  https://code.google.com/p/bitcoinarmory/downloads/list)

I freaking love Armory. Always people on the forums asking about features that Armory already has...why aren't people aware?

I love offline transactions!

Support Decentralized Bitcoin Prediction Markets: 1M5tVTtynuqiS7Goq8hbh5UBcxLaa5XQb8
https://github.com/psztorc/Truthcoin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: