Bitcoin Forum
July 17, 2018, 04:50:23 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S5 in a hot Texas garage?  (Read 1679 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 05:31:30 AM

I ran about 7KW of gear in my garage last summer.  Temps hit 115 degrees or so regularly in the peak of the summer.  I did have to downclock the couple S5s I had to around 275-300mhz if I remember right to keep them cool enough with the fan at full fan speed (stock fan).  Afterwards when it got cold again one S5 was never able to OC very well without going xxx on one blade.  Oh well!

S1/S3 were never as temp sensitive, and the SP20 could be downvolted/downclocked to survive just fine.

What did you do for cooling?  I know some push some gear pretty hard but ambient of 115 degrees is getting up there.   Yes some miners can run in much hotter environment's then they advertise. 

But I sure would not risk it.   S3's were tanks I have heard of very hot temps.  Even still a S3 and S5 are two completely different beats.
The World's Betting Exchange

Bet with play money. Win real Bitcoin. 5BTC Prize Fund for World Cup 2018.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
randomuser543

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 05:41:51 AM

I looked up the old thread from the guy who made 3D print models for fan ducts and upper/lower case covers for the S5.  I downloaded his files and will probably, at the very least, have the top and bottom plates printed up (about $40-$50 total).  Makes a lot of sense to me to confine the airflow to the inside of the unit rather than letting it escape out the top and bottom.  I'm not sold on his fan ducts, though, mostly because all the printing places I've looked at want $60-$80 just for printing that one part!  There's also a guy selling acrylic side panels and includes a bottom panel on ebay, definitely less expensive than ordering the custom 3D printed parts, but probably not as effective.

Thought I would chime in as I printed off these ducts/covers many months ago, using our office printer  Grin

I have done some testing with a combination of the stock fan, and 2 Scythe fans. I have tried with and without the Ducts also.

Long story short, the best set-up is to only use the stock fan in Push. Adding 1 Scythe to Pull, actually made things worse. And using the 2 Scythes in Push/Pull wasn't anywhere near as effective as the stock! Atleast 5 degrees in the difference if I can remember right.

The Top/Bottom covers are great, and will probably make a noticeable difference.
As for the Ducts, because I'm only using the Stock fan to push, I only have the front Duct mounted. It does improve cooling quite a bit!

If the noise of the stock fan really is a killer, then you can get away with the 2 Scythes in Push/Pull, and also use both front and rear ducts.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 07:35:11 PM

Thought I would chime in as I printed off these ducts/covers many months ago, using our office printer  Grin
I have a friend with a 3D printer and he's making the ducts for me.

I got the S5 over the weekend and hooked it up in my laundry room.  It's loud, but it's not as loud as I expected from everything I read.  I used some tin foil to cover the bottom of the unit and then some more tin foil at the back to duct most of the hot air out my dryer vent.  The laundry room did get a few degrees warmer, but I think once I get the ducts on and get all the hot air to leave through the vent it will be better.  I'll try a couple different fans to see what it does for noise, but stock fan is something I can live with and the box runs around 50*C which is great.
SamHa1n

Activity: 53
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:36:24 PM

High heat, high humidity... fun times were had, but it worked.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.