Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:53:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 91 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Batch #1 Ships  (Read 238867 times)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 05:25:33 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2013, 07:16:55 AM by organofcorti

Disclaimer: I am a complete bullshit artist and have no evidence to back my somewhat racist claims.
Here is a story.... In OZ it is common that IT company's run/owned by people of ASIAN heritage have a habit of getting large CREDIT accounts owed to suppliers such as INGRAM MICRO & others  (i.e 1 mil hear 700k there ) the company's may have been trading for 5+ years and for whatever reasons  they jump on a plane and disappear into mainland china

Never to heard from again and totally untraceable due to china's Fu*k Y*u policy

FTFY.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kaerf

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 07:10:08 AM

where's the tracking information?
Micon
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 07:26:50 AM

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 07:45:01 AM

Since the thread in your sig is locked it probably would make sense to change your sig ...

Good call, to your answer your question: the source code will be uploaded to github soon as we remove a bunch of debug related stuff.
/sarcasrm

kanoi waits for the next post about the hard drive that failed and they didn't have a backup ...

Edit: I will point out the obvious - you are breaking the license doing that.
The software you have already shipped with the devices is the source code you must supply to anyone who rightfully requests it.
Not some modified version of it ... so you already have the code (unless the devices have been shipped but not working?)

hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 08:01:16 AM

I may have missed in the previous 70 posts but

Has anybody got a bonified Tracking NO from UPS,FEDEX or any other shipping company ??

If people have tracking nums read belong story as INFO only

Here is a story.... In OZ it is common that IT company's run/owned by people of ASIAN heritage have a habit of getting large CREDIT accounts owed to suppliers such as INGRAM MICRO & others  (i.e 1 mil hear 700k there ) the company's may have been trading for 5+ years and for whatever reasons  they jump on a plane and disappear into mainland china

Never to heard from again and totally untraceable due to china's Fu*k Y*u policy

Is there tracking Numbers somewhere Huh

Is the OZ you are talking about involve a wicked witch and a yellow brick lane?

look around Numbnuts.......

http://www.caterpillar.com/cda/components/fullArticleNoNav?m=393518&x=7&id=4326216
http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listconews/SEHK/2013/0117/LTN20130117604.pdf
http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?art_id=129933&con_type=1
http://webb-site.com/codocs/ICAC130104b.pdf
http://webb-site.com/pages/ICACwatch.asp
http://webb-site.com/pages/HKICPAwatch.asp

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 08:04:34 AM

where's the tracking information?

you might want to wait at least until march.
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 09:02:45 AM

The software you have already shipped with the devices is the source code you must supply to anyone who rightfully requests it.
Not some modified version of it ... so you already have the code (unless the devices have been shipped but not working?)

This is not correct.

They have NO obligation to give you the source code. They have an obligation to give the source code (indeed, the actual code and not a 'cleaned up' version) to parties that they gave the binaries to, if they request it. That's it. Go read the license.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 09:21:25 AM

This is not correct.

They have NO obligation to give you the source code. They have an obligation to give the source code (indeed, the actual code and not a 'cleaned up' version) to parties that they gave the binaries to, if they request it. That's it. Go read the license.
In other words, Kano, become a paying customer.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 09:57:50 AM

Jeff Garzik was the original author of minerd which evolved into cgminer which I now maintain. There are most definitely still remnants of his original code still in cgminer today which is GPL licensed. Given that fact, I think it highly likely he will have an interest in making sure the code for a customised cgminer for avalon hardware is made available. I very much doubt given Jeff's history with free software that he will just ask for the code and just look at it himself without making it available for everyone else.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 10:13:14 AM

Where in Australia? I've had a look at a map and can't find it.  Huh
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 10:15:32 AM

Shouldn't you pay for it or return it once the coding process is done?

Do you sort of understand where I am coming from?
No I don't - because you are not comparing similar environments.

If they were to employ someone to write the software from scratch the cost would certainly be well above handing out some boards to developers. Then of course there is the support of that software for eternity until the Avalon boards are considered no longer worth supporting.

By having developers support their hardware they gain more sales.

Why should developers do the development and support for them for free when they are purely profit driven themselves?
In the larger world of linux kernel development for example, when developing original novel code for new hardware all we need to do is ask the manufacturers nicely for some sample hardware and provided the developer is a known developer for code in the past they are often given samples of hardware that isn't even available for sale yet. This is always going on with the manufacturing from Intel, AMD, IBM etc. They are aware that having software available for their hardware is only beneficial to their hardware sales and the cost of sponsoring the software development directly versus giving away a few hardware samples is a simple equation that works in their favour. Indeed the developers are often invited to pre-release talks from the manufacturers regarding the hardware development and their input valued and can often change hardware development direction before release because these are the people who know what they're talking about and the manufacturers realised this long ago. Great hardware is only ever made when the software developers are involved in the development process and the software that goes with it is shipped at the same time.

Thinking us software developers just want "freebies" is just a short sighted view of the world. It's only on this round of bitcoin hardware development (with ASICs) that the manufacturers have even begun to embrace what the massive manufacturers have been doing for years, and not remotely on the scale that Intel and AMD would since we're largely in the dark about the hardware and communication protocols until virtually the release date. Of course the scale, timelines and profit margins are completely different, but the variables remain the same.

EDIT: Trust me, you don't want to actually contract me to do software work. It's prohibitively expensive - just ask coinlab who did contract me. Or, you can rely on me coding free software instead.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
tripper22

Activity: 188

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 10:19:54 AM

I am a current paid customer and I purchased one of the first 50 units. I am getting a little nervous. I have been very happy with the Avalon team up to this point and I understand that they could be very busy. But some things aren't making sense.

-the lack of details about hardware and power consumption
-no software or source code released
-unresolved problems (Dust paid but can't get a response regarding his order)
-a lack of communication with current paid customers
-no tracking numbers have been provided
-recent communication in this forum with BitSyncom is vague and ambiguous
-didn't do what they said they were going to do (video)
-shipping and customs details are vague
-no form has been made available to us to select DHL or EMS

I had orders with all 3 asic "companies". I got refunds from the other two as soon as I smelled bullshit. There will be be no refund here if there is a problem. I thought I was pretty smart playing all 3 companies, but now I'm starting to wonder...

Come on Avalon team, make us BELIEVE. I continue to wait as patiently as I can. Tongue
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 10:53:52 AM

I am a current paid customer and I purchased one of the first 50 units. I am getting a little nervous. I have been very happy with the Avalon team up to this point and I understand that they could be very busy. But some things aren't making sense.

I had orders with all 3 asic "companies". I got refunds from the other two as soon as I smelled bullshit. There will be be no refund here if there is a problem. I thought I was pretty smart playing all 3 companies, but now I'm starting to wonder...

Come on Avalon team, make us BELIEVE. I continue to wait as patiently as I can. Tongue

Pretty good moves considering the situation. I hope you are rewarded.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 11:35:54 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2013, 12:22:07 PM by kano

This is not correct.

Fool - read what I said - I worded it VERY SPECIFICALLY Edit: IT IS CORRECT

The words are "you must supply to anyone who rightfully requests it."
Those who rightfully request it will be those who have the right to request it - those who get the hardware and software - others cannot rightfully request it.

Yet again gmaxwell you have misread what I wrote - but in this case it is VERY specific what I wrote.
Read it again - it is not what you are implying I wrote.

There is no requirement yet for them to give it to me.

Meanwhile ...

They have however stated that they would, here in this thread, twice, and on their web site.
I will also point out that they promote themselves as open source even on their own web site.

I do find the fact that they would promote that yet hide the source, that is already complete according to them, quite hypocritical.

However, as I also stated, there is one possibility I can think of that would cover the fact that they MUST already have the source for the device and not show it ... and that is that they indeed DO NOT have the source for the device and are shipping devices that don't in fact work properly yet.

Seriously there is nothing to 'clean up'.
If there was something to 'clean up' then they have shipped devices with this non-'cleaned up' code used to generate the binaries.

I'll be blunt, I find this whole 'we will not demonstrate a device like we promised to' rather suspect.

Without doubt they can piss people off and hide details as much as they like, since they have already sold all 300 devices in this batch - but I don't see how pissing off many people can possibly be good for them ... unless they have no choice but to do it ...
When someone does finally get a device ... I will be interested indeed to see firstly how long that takes for them to get it, and secondly their response to anyone who rightfully can request the source.

To put it in the simplest terms, either there is a package on it's way to Jeff Garzik and when he gets it everyone will know what they want to know ... or there is something suspect going on.
The issue IMO will be how long until that package gets to Jeff Garzik ... and then how long until they supply the source code to anyone who rightfully can request it.

I will also point out that from my discussion with Xiangfu, they have used serial-USB to code it.
I have been removing the serial-USB code from cgminer for a while now, specifically due to what I believe ASIC requirements will be ... based on FPGA software design and performance ... I guess we'll see who can in fact write the best software for it ... and if I don't have a device to test it on, obviously it wont be me ... and these games with source code would suggest to me to ignore Avalon altogether, with regards to writing code, until they make it worth our while.

However, since they have indeed claimed to put GPL3 cgminer code into their device, I will continue to monitor that they do indeed adhere to the license ...

I will, however, be doing code for BFL and asicminer when they do supply the hardware - so if they are both close to doing that, I'll certainly be busy working on that as soon as I get the chance.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 11:43:53 AM

I guess that no one will have the balls to order from the second batch if no tangible proof appears before that.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
greyhawk

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 11:50:45 AM

I guess that no one will have the balls to order from the second batch if no tangible proof appears before that.

Seeing as how you can't order from the second batch, that doesn't seem like a very big problem.
Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 11:51:19 AM

TRUE. I have asked some questions from this list, but no response at all. It piss me off. No response here, via PM, QQ...BitSyncom, come to us mortals and make us happy with your answers.
greyhawk

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 12:21:28 PM

Seeing as how you can't order from the second batch, that doesn't seem like a very big problem.
Pre order thread should be available in one week.

Is that coming from any official statement?

I seriously doubt they'll accept pre-orders for batch two before/during CNY.
greyhawk

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 12:32:57 PM

Well, that was an.... interesting... deletion.  Cheesy
Frequency

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

COINDER

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 12:36:31 PM

I really don,t hope that after Jeff G. opens the "shipped" box ..all he gets are a new pair of running shoes..  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

COINDER
COINDER
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 91 »
  Print  

Jump to: