Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:31:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help get bitcoins accepted at Freelancer  (Read 1679 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 04:43:55 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2013, 05:01:47 PM by Elwar

I have sent an e-mail to Freelancer.com requesting that they accept bitcoins considering they serve nations all over the world and have to convert currencies all the time in order to pay people. Being able to pay someone or get paid in bitcoins would be a great step forward for people to be able to get off of their government currencies.

Please contact them and let them know how useful it would be to be able to get paid in bitcoins or to pay people in bitcoins.

http://www.freelancer.com/info/contact-us.php

I do realize that there have been bitcoin services similar to freelancer in the past but the amount of projects or developers is fairly sparse.

And if freelancer accepted bitcoins, you could point anyone who wanted to make a few BTC to that site with so many ways to make money.

Edit:
The canned response I received was:
We would like to thank you for taking the time to submit your ideas and suggestions to improve our features and services. Rest assured that this will be received by the proper department.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:16:30 PM

And if freelancer accepted bitcoins, you could point anyone who wanted to make a few BTC to that site with so many ways to make money.

You are assuming that if they accept bitcoins as payment that they then pay out bitcoins to the freelancer/contractor.   That would be nice but each side of it is independent -- they could accept Bitcoin payment and then pay out fiat,  or hey could accept fiat and then pay out bitcoin as well.     I know these sites have two problem areas ..., one being payment card/bank transfer fraud where the payment gets reversed (or claimed that it was not authorized).    The other is with abuse where the "gig" was fake -- and was instead a front for money laundering.

I don't know that a Freelancer will want Bitcoin to be used.   Payment fraud (reversals/chargebacks) is one reason freelancer/contractors aren't working directly for others.  But with Bitcoin payment there's no chargebacks.  Thus there's no risk to dealing directly with an unknown party as long as services are pre-paid by the hiring party.

So Freelancer, oDesk, etc. all rather enjoy the current necessity to use an intermediary.

They are certainly aware of Bitcoin.  This is from more than two years ago:

Incidentally, here's a talk by Michael Levinson, VP of Product, oDesk, which has a lot of freelancers from developing nations.  He describes the challenges to (and importance of) paying those contract workers.  Notice that the bitcoin topic just keeps coming up over and over by those in the audience.  (Which is interesting, because this video is [from May, 2011].)

- http://vimeo.com/29287295

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 05:26:45 PM

Payment fraud (reversals/chargebacks) is one reason freelancer/contractors aren't working directly for others.  But with Bitcoin payment there's no chargebacks.  Thus there's no risk to dealing directly with an unknown party as long as services are pre-paid by the hiring party.

When I set up a project I get bids on the project. Once the project begins I am required to pass the correct amount of funds to Freelancer. I set up milestones for the developer with amounts of money to be released each milestone. And I have full control over releasing those funds. It is not until the project is completed that I release the final funds.  I assume that if the project is completed and the developer proves to Freelancer that the project is complete, then Freelancer would release the funds if sufficient evidence proves it. Kinda like e-bay.

So there is not much risk of someone scamming you out of your money.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
atomium
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:55:45 PM

this will be great if they accept bitcoins, it will be huge, we can also get odesk to take btc
lukyforvar

Activity: 804
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 09:39:56 PM

Hello I am a user of freelancer.com and completed jobs.

I've sent the suggestion in Spanish.

Bitcoin, the weapon of freedom massive.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 09:43:08 PM

There are so many scam artists on these kind of sites it isn't even worth it to sign up, the people hosting the site are doing what they can clearly, but you need honest people for freelance work.
XBTFreelancer

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2016, 08:06:18 AM

Until they do accept bitcoin, Post your projects for bitcoin and work for bitcoin at:

https://www.XBTFreelancer.com/projects

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: