Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:00:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anonymous coins  (Read 3657 times)
CryptocurrencyNetwork

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 09:09:29 AM

Want true anonymity? VERGE $XVG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ruhtilg

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:39:15 AM

Of the existing coins, XMR is the most developed.

Could you break down how its more developed over other cryptonote coins?

There are new features coming out of the Monero constantly. The developers are known to the community.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 09:55:49 AM

Of the existing coins, XMR is the most developed.

Could you break down how its more developed over other cryptonote coins?

There are new features coming out of the Monero constantly. The developers are known to the community.

Confidential transactions will be added to Monero soon, which is a major privacy upgrade, and so far is unique among cryptonote coins--as is developing openalias, having a research team, and having a videogame that uses Monero as its "legal tender" currency. I'm sure all the cryptonote coins are working on a DB and other upgrades, but AFAIK the other coins don't have as many Devs or cryptographers working on their coin as yet.

Aeon and Boolberry are both fine coins, and many (if not all) of the upgrades in each coin will be shared as they are developed--though, over time, this will become less and less so as the code for each coin "hardens." As we've seen in BTC,  politics and code limitations have the effect of limiting how much a coin can change over time.

arbitrage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:19:07 AM

As i can see you are trying to tell us MONERO is best and will stay on the top?  Cheesy
I like all anon coins whole idea is pretty good. But i don't like antagonism between members of different communities.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 10:32:41 AM

As i can see you are trying to tell us MONERO is best and will stay on the top?  Cheesy
I like all anon coins whole idea is pretty good. But i don't like antagonism between members of different communities.

A question was asked, and I answered it. Not sure anyone could evaluate the factors more rationally than I have. If we're talking about cryptonote coins, I think the ones I listed are good and deserve to be in the conversation. I didn't include non-cryptonote coins as that wasn't what was asked--though I believe only zerocash has as good a privacy method (perhaps better if perfected) as the ring signatures used in cryptonote coins, but it has the drawbacks that it doesn't exist yet, its cryptography is new, and you can't validate the blockchain to see if it is  being attacked--though it may well succeed at fixing those issues someday.

?chooseusername

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:34:19 AM

What about VPNcoin, can it be considered an AnonCoin? I really like Monero too but I still wonder what would be the top 5... There are so many

Rank
1)Monero
2)?
3)?
4)?
5)?

Verge, Aeon, BitcoinDark, Etc...
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 06:15:07 AM

What about VPNcoin, can it be considered an AnonCoin? I really like Monero too but I still wonder what would be the top 5... There are so many

Rank
1)Monero
2)?
3)?
4)?
5)?

Verge, Aeon, BitcoinDark, Etc...

I would rank the cryptonote coins without a premine/ninjamine in the first tier (substantial centralization breaks ring-signiture's untraceability--one of the few cases where technology checks greed without being programmed to), then probably Bitcoin with coinjoin in the second tier and then coins that copied coinjoin (or even less), but oftentimes have weird or complicated schemes, which oftentimes decrease the privacy features they were intended to improve.

I get the feeling that most reading this thread aren't actually using the technology and are trying rather to predict the market--in which case I say, "good luck." Those who are trying to find the best way to remain private can research the facts for themselves and use the best alternative based on their need and availability--these people are most likely not in a rush and will use the best method based on rational research, rather than lists or charts or whichever coin has the best infographic.  Wink

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 06:33:20 AM

I would rank the cryptonote coins without a premine/ninjamine in the first tier (substantial centralization breaks ring-signiture's untraceability--one of the few cases where technology checks greed without being programmed to), then probably Bitcoin with coinjoin in the second tier and then coins that copied coinjoin (or even less), but oftentimes have weird or complicated schemes, which oftentimes decrease the privacy features they were intended to improve.

I get the feeling that most reading this thread aren't actually using the technology and are trying rather to predict the market--in which case I say, "good luck." Those who are trying to find the best way to remain private can research the facts for themselves and use the best alternative based on their need and availability--these people are most likely not in a rush and will use the best method based on rational research, rather than lists or charts or whichever coin has the best infographic.  Wink

The only Cryptonote coins I can rank in the first tier must in addition to no premine/ninjamine have a tail emission.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 06:46:41 AM

The only Cryptonote coins I can rank in the first tier must in addition to no premine/ninjamine have a tail emission.

That's a long-term argument. If you wanted to use a coin for privacy tomorrow (or even a year from now), it doesn't matter if it can sustain its network ten years from now. As a long-term investor this argument matters, but as a user or trader, it seems much ado about nothing.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 07:05:54 AM

That's a long-term argument. If you wanted to use a coin for privacy tomorrow (or even a year from now), it doesn't matter if it can sustain its network ten years from now. As a long-term investor this argument matters, but as a user or trader, it seems much ado about nothing.

A user needs a high market capitalization (provided by long term investors) and a high liquidity (provided by traders) relative to the size of the transaction. Market capitalization and liquidity has to be higher for an anonymous coin when compared to a  non anonymous coin in order to provide the mixing needed. Traders on the other hand can lessen their risk by looking for fundamentals that align with the direction of their trades, even though the trades themselves may be driven by short term market considerations. The long term is still be applicable to both users and traders though not as directly and for investors.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 07:38:31 AM

A user needs a high market capitalization (provided by long term investors) and a high liquidity (provided by traders) relative to the size of the transaction. Market capitalization and liquidity has to be higher for an anonymous coin when compared to a  non anonymous coin in order to provide the mixing needed. Traders on the other hand can lessen their risk by looking for fundamentals that align with the direction of their trades, even though the trades themselves may be driven by short term market considerations. The long term is still be applicable to both users and traders though not as directly and for investors.

Agreed, but I was asked to rank coins by their anonymity functions, so I did. Market considerations change and aren't a rational way to evaluate why you would use a coin for privacy at any given second--the exception being for a very large transactions that require liquidity (though there isn't enough liquidity with any coin for the types of transactions that occur between corporations or countries).

arbitrage

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 09:46:28 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2016, 01:41:11 PM by arbitrage

And far as i know Monero is POW coin , are those POW coins safer than POS?
If price goes more up,  MONERO could be dumped by miners?
Edwardard

Activity: 1050
Merit: 681

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 10:05:52 AM

And far as i know Monero is POW coin , are those POW coins safer than POS?
If price goes more up, are you afraid, MONERO could be dumped by miners?

Monero is always dumped by the miners, in fact the bot net operators. That is the reason the price is low.
arbitrage

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:53:22 PM

Monero is always dumped by the miners, in fact the bot net operators. That is the reason the price is low.
So in fact there is a lot more miners than actually investors, i can get only this conclusion.
If there is block halving maybe this can help in future to reduce mining dump?
mikewillda

Activity: 219

CTO/Spokesman

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 01:04:29 PM

So in fact there is a lot more miners than actually investors, i can get only this conclusion.
If there is block halving maybe this can help in future to reduce mining dump?

There is no block halving. The block reward decreases day after day. It is quite a smooth process.

Never invest more than you can afford to loose.
bakedrice

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 07:09:57 AM

what about dogecoindark, or verge?

mikewillda

Activity: 219

CTO/Spokesman

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 11:19:19 AM

what about dogecoindark, or verge?

I think these are not very popular coins. They are not as famous as the Dash or Monero. These two are the biggest.

Never invest more than you can afford to loose.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: