Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:19:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D-Printed Semi-Automatic Gun Is Simply Terrifying  (Read 991 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 10:32:34 PM

3D-Printed Semi-Automatic Gun Is Simply Terrifying
Even if his plans did leak he doesn’t think untraceable semiautomatic weapons will be flooding the streets and flowing into the hands of criminals. “If you keep shooting, it’s going to fail,” he hold Wired. “That makes it not such a desired weapon for a criminal.”

So all you have to do is dodge bullets until the gun fails. Phew.

http://gizmodo.com/3d-printed-semi-automatic-gun-is-simply-terrifying-1756820431

This is not terrifying.

It is only an early stage in the adaptation of weapon technology to 3d printing.

3d printing requires re examination of basic concepts such as "what is a cartridge?"  "what is a barrel?"  "What is a firing mechanism?"

Bullets, for example, may be made with short integral barrels.  All barrels may be one use throwaway.  Etc.

The duplication of an existing firearm on a 3d printer is a waste of time.

Well said.  Very true wouldn't cost much to make a barrel every time depending on what use you were using the gun for.  1 shot barrels would be great for certain situations while say target practicing it would get pretty expensive and not much fun after the few shots.

As for safety that would depend on what you are trying to accomplish.

I would think that all rifle rounds would be out of the question.  as the high pressures  that they excert when fired.   But for smaller general round this could be easily accomplished.  I would fire a .22 threw a plastic barrel (maybe)   lol.  As for say a 50cal that would be obvious that it wouldn't work.  You would need a barrel with much greater strength.

If you are constructing a handgun styled gun.  you could essentially drill your own as long as you had a way to drill it.

But until printers are cheaper ill still to my BP guns with a replaced cylinder.  they come in all different sizes.  .22 9mm 40 45 45colt and just about everything in between.

I wouldn't touch a BP gun with a "replaced cylinder" without doing some engineering analysis on the metals and the powder.  Although as you not a 22 is trivial.  Generally, though, the BP guns are rather interesting.  BP is quite dangerous but the modern replacements are safer. 

Until you've loaded up a black powder gun like a 1847 Colt Walker, tamped the charge down, squeezed the balls in, covered them with wax, set the primers, and pointed that thing downrange, you simply can't appreciate what those guys in the 19th century went through to keep their families safe and put food on the table.

As for 3d printers, they are here now and their abilities are here now...

I actually have several BP guns.  All steel frames.   You do not want to put the replaced cylinders in a brass framed BP revolver.  Repeated pressures can damage the frame.  The others that are an all steel frame are completely safe.  I have shot thousands of rounds threw them.

I do like to pack my own rounds in from time to time.  44 cal round balls. 

BP is pretty safe.  As long as you know what it is.  Main difference in powders is flash rate.

BP when reloaded in a cartridge has to be packed.  While the newer powders can sit lose.  You can pack 20 grains compared to say like 3 grains for the same boom factor.  give or take.  Newer powder is more stable but  can have a bigger boom is contained and ignited compared to BP.  I myself make my own black powder.  Its fun and works well.  i like to reload my 45 colt rounds with conicals for the BP revolvers.

Biggest thing about BP guns are to keep them clean.  BP gets pretty dirty pretty fast compared to newer smokeless powders.

its a fun hobby and yet they can still be used for hunting and target practicing.  And is way cheaper then buying ammo all the time just for tagret practicing.
Are you referring to actual black powder or the synthetics, Permadex (Huh not sure I recall the names.)  Most likely it would be true that practically anything steel would withstand the black powders.

Gunsmith here locally has a whole display of guns that blew up on reloads, some killing their owners.  I think all the reloads were modern powder, though.  I'm a believer in "reloading to save money" but no way a believer in "reloading for more power."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
galdur (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:50:11 AM

It was in 1909 when Henry Ford, master of efficiency and standardization, famously said that a “customer can have a car painted any color…so long as it is black.” While the First Industrial Revolution introduced machines to replace hand labor, Ford helped usher in what was ultimately the principle of mass production; using those machines to produce large quantities of standardized products — an era that came to be known as the Second Industrial Revolution.

Today, more than one hundred years since Ford made his industry-defining statement, 3D printing is making its way forward in the mainstream and is allowing anyone to create customized products on demand at affordable prices. No longer do products need to be the same; we can now tailor products to meet our individual needs at little or no extra cost.

Are today’s digital manufacturing capabilities making standardization obsolete? Could we possibly be on the verge of replacing mass production altogether? Are we sitting on the edge of the Third Industrial Revolution?....more

http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/26/is-3d-printing-the-next-industrial-revolution/

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: