Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:17:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins are lost?  (Read 2301 times)
epeenor (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 10:22:11 AM

I bought bitcoins for the first time and I put them into my bitcoin wallet (bitcoin.org, software on computer).

I didnt know the synchronizing network takes forever....so i cant access my bitcoins.

So this it what i did> i searched how to find the private key > i made account on blockchain.info and imported private key. I also synchronized the account with the "desktop sync".

I now have 2 same addresses 1 on bitcoin software and 1 on blockchain.info but i dont see my bitcoins?

What went wrong? the site i bought bitcoins is trusted finnish page and it says 0-1 days for transfer.

Are my bitcoins still stuck in the synchronizing or what? o_O
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:27:16 AM

Browse to http://blockchain.info and type the Bitcoin address (*not* the private key) into its Search and check what it says about the balance.

Assuming it is there then you just have to either wait for you client to "catch up" or change to a "lightweight" alternative client (such as "Electrum") that doesn't need the blockchain.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
epeenor (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 10:32:22 AM

it still says 0. How long it takes to transfer the account from bitcoin software to blockchain.info? Because i did it about 30mins ago.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:34:22 AM

Okay - when you look at the address in blockchain.info does it have any tx's below it or does it say that it's probably a "new address"?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

poblico

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 10:36:31 AM

I had exactly the same problem (slow client) so I did the same and it worked fine for me.
blockchain.info on import I was asked if I wanted to swap (I think it means send the money from the address on my client to the blockchain address instead of importing the private key, that was the recommended option) so I did that and my money was sent immediately.

Hope you sort it out.
epeenor (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 10:37:24 AM

theres 2 addresses in the blockchain.info. I believe the first address is the default address from blockchain and the second address is exactly same as my bitcoin software address.

Did you mean these ? I clicked the address

Address (address here)

Hash 160 (dont know what this is)

Tools Taint Analysis - Related Tags

Transactions (Newest First)  
No transactions found for this address, it has probably not been used on the network yet.
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 10:39:22 AM

Welp, that will teach you to read the manual first.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:40:25 AM

No transactions found for this address, it has probably not been used on the network yet.

Yes - this is the relevant part - no tx has been detected - it would seem fairly likely that if after 30 minutes it does not even see an "unconfirmed" tx that the tx didn't actually occur (you did check "both" addresses?).

ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 10:42:50 AM

I don't understand the hesitation in posting here the address.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 10:43:11 AM

Yes - this is the relevant part - no tx has been detected - it would seem fairly likely that if after 30 minutes it does not even see an "unconfirmed" tx that the tx didn't actually occur (you did check "both" addresses?).

Tl;dr: your bitcoins are not sent by the seller yet. Try contacting the seller.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:44:56 AM

I don't understand the hesitation in posting here the address.

I didn't ask for that as it is up to the OP if he wants to do that (am assuming he was able to paste it into blockchain.info himself per his reply to my question).

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:45:53 AM

Tl;dr: your bitcoins are not sent by the seller yet. Try contacting the seller.

John is almost certainly correct with this reply (I tend to take things slowly and to be overly thorough).

epeenor (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 10:50:58 AM

theres nothing else in the addresses. i still have 22k blocks to go and its really slow now...like 1 block every 3-5seconds...i guess its my only chance to see my bitcoins to wait it to synch to the end--
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:53:05 AM

heres nothing else in the addresses. i still have 22k blocks to go and its really slow now...like 1 block every 3-5seconds...i guess its my only chance to see my bitcoins to wait it to synch to the end--

Just leave blockchain.info open on the address - if/when the BTC is sent you'll here a "beeping noise" telling you so.

As John suggested you might want to check with the sender that they actually have sent them (as it doesn't appear so).

ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 10:53:29 AM

theres nothing else in the addresses. i still have 22k blocks to go and its really slow now...like 1 block every 3-5seconds...i guess its my only chance to see my bitcoins to wait it to synch to the end--

If it doesn't shown in blockchain.info (considering address is really the same), it won't show in your desktop client.
Contact the seller - like John said - and ask if they have sent the Bitcoins already.
0dayatciyam.org

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 02:01:58 PM

Just leave blockchain.info open on the address - if/when the BTC is sent you'll here a "beeping noise" telling you so.

i wuld wonder who op really is? it seems you also lost a lot of bitcoin and should not be give advice,maybe keep working on your broken system. add some "beep" to that.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 07:47:09 PM

i wuld wonder who op really is? it seems you also lost a lot of bitcoin and should not be give advice,maybe keep working on your broken system. add some "beep" to that.
What the heck are you talking about? I couldn't understand a thing you just said.
URGENT

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 09:43:11 PM

I am having a similar problem, including an anxiety attack.

My Bitcoins have been sent, but not recieved.  My Bitcoin desktop wallet/client is not only OUT OF SYNC but displaying a message that says WARNING: Displayed transactions may not be correct! You may need to upgrade, or other nodes may need to upgrade! In the lower right hand corner the symbol indicates & is stuck on like 97% and has not budged or downloaded a single block for hours & hours Huh

Is there a support department for the Bitcoin Desktop Wallet or can someone please assist. Please be clear and I will be very grateful.

Thnks
URGENT
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 10:01:09 PM

What the heck are you talking about? I couldn't understand a thing you just said.

His username is very telling...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 10:24:43 PM

I am having a similar problem, including an anxiety attack.
First, you'll need to calm down.  Trying to address the situation while in the midst of an anxiety attack is a sure way to make a mistake, make things worse, and lose your bitcoins permanently.

Right now, assuming you haven't started messing around with deleting, re-installing, or moving your wallet yet, your bitcoins are almost certainly safe.  You can't see them because the wallet youa re using hasn't caught up with the blockchain yet, but they are probably still accessible.

If you know the bitcoin address that you expect to receive the bitcoins at, you can use the following link to see that they are fine.  Just replace the YOUR_BITCOIN_ADDRESS_HERE with the bitcoin address where you expect to receive the bitcoins:

https://blockchain.info/address/YOUR_BITCOIN_ADDRESS_HERE

If the bitcoin address that you expect to receive the bitcoins at is displayed in the "Receive Coins" tab of your wallet, then you almost certainly have the private key necessary to access those bitcoins.

Depending on how far behind your client is, it can take a long time to catch up with the synchronizing.  If this is a problem for you, you may want to consider accessing your bitcoins from a "lightweight" client such as Electrum or MultiBit, or even consider a web hosted wallet such as https://blockchain.info/wallet

It would be a good idea to make at least one backup of your wallet.dat file, just in case you mess things up accidentally while trying to solve your current issue.  The more recent versions of Bitcoin-Qt all have a menu option to "Backup Wallet".  That is probably the safest way to do it if you aren't comfortable moving files around by hand.

If you are sure you know what you are doing, you can also find the wallet.dat file on your computer and make a copy of it.  This is the only file you need to be able to recover your bitcoins.

If you want to use one of the lightweight wallets or the web hosted wallet, just say so, and I'll provide you instructions on how to get your bitcoins imported into the wallet you choose.

If you only want to use the Bitcoin-Qt reference client, and you are certain that it isn't downloading any blocks any longer, then just say so, and we'll see if we can get it restarted for you.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: