Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:29:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins are lost?  (Read 2301 times)
URGENT

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 12:48:00 AM

Yes, DannyHamilton, thank you.

#1) "Receive Coins" has the 2 bitcoin addresses I used to have the bitcoins sent to (receive coins)..

#2) I believe I successfully made 2 backups of the wallet.dat file, to usb flash drives..as when I tryed to do it twice it asked if I wanted to replace the other...so that looks good..

#3) The client seems to be getting further behind as more blocks are stacking up but none being downloaded, it's like 92% now..

#4) I have not been able to get blockchain.info's wallet to work on this pc...so it appears I need to select one of the "lightweight" clients..

#5) I will select from one of your suggestions:  Electrum or MultiBit?  I havent looked at the yet?

#6) as far as the Bitcoin-Qt reference client not working, I can reinstall it later and move coins back to that app in the future? yes?

#7) I choose Electrum

OK, anything else?  Thanks again, DannyHamilton.

URGENT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4576

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 01:43:51 AM

#2) I believe I successfully made 2 backups of the wallet.dat file, to usb flash drives..as when I tryed to do it twice it asked if I wanted to replace the other...so that looks good..
This is good.  With this file, you should eventually gain access to your bitcoins even if you accidentally mess something up on your computer.

#6) as far as the Bitcoin-Qt reference client not working, I can reinstall it later and move coins back to that app in the future? yes?
Yes.  If you can ever get Bitcoin-Qt working on a computer, you can always send the bitcoins to that wallet.

#7) I choose Electrum

If you are using Windows you may not be able to import he private keys into Electrum.  It might still be a great choice for the future. You might want to consider setting up a temporary wallet at https://blockchain.info/wallet import the private key there and then send the bitcoins from there to your new Electrum wallet. You can download Electrum here:

http://electrum.org/download.html

If you are using some other operating system such as Linux or Apple's Lion, once you have it installed you can import your private keys using the instructions you'll find here:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum#Export_and_import_addresses

To get the private keys for your addresses from your Bitcoin-Qt wallet:

• Choose the "Help" menu
  • Choose "Debug window"
  • Choose "Console" in the Debug window

If you have encrypted your wallet, you'll need to enter the following into the console:

Code:
walletpassphrase YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE 600

Replacing YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE with your actual password.  This will unlock your wallet for 10 minutes (600 seconds).

To get your private keys, you'll need to enter the following into the console:

Code:
dumpprivkey BITCOIN_ADDRESS

Replacing BITCOIN_ADDRESS with the bitcoin address from your Receive Coins tab.  This will respond with your private key (it will start with either a 5, K, or L).  Do not give this private key to anyone.  With it they can take or spend your bitcoins.  This is the private key that you'll need to import into another wallet. If you want to access these bitcoins from some other wallet.
URGENT

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 02:02:41 AM

Thank you, DannyHamilton..

Ok, I thought I covered it all..but I am using Windows XP..so I should have chosen the other lightweight client MultiBit? Correct? and the directions must be different ??  Can you send the procedure for that application please..Thanks again.

URGENT

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 02:11:19 AM

Thank you, DannyHamilton..

Ok, I thought I covered it all..but I am using Windows XP..so I should have chosen the other lightweight client MultiBit? Correct? and the directions must be different ??  Can you send the procedure for that application please..Thanks again.

URGENT
Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge about MultiBit.  Perhaps someone else will stop by with more expertise on MultiBit who can explain how to import private keys.

As I mentioned, if you are using Windows, you might want to consider setting up a wallet at https://blockchain.info/wallet  It takes about 90 seconds to do.  Then you can import the private key there.  If you still want to use a lightweight wallet instead of a web hosted wallet, you can send your bitcoins from the blockchain.info wallet to your new Electrum wallet.

URGENT

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 02:29:12 AM

What is the difference between using   https://blockchain.info/wallet   &   http://blockchain.info/wallet  ?

Thnks

URGENT
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 02:34:01 AM

What is the difference between using   https://blockchain.info/wallet   &   http://blockchain.info/wallet  ?

Basically nothing as you'll find that you when you click on Login Now or pretty much any other button you end up in HTTPS anyway.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
URGENT

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:18:33 AM

Thanks for the assistance all. I'll give it a go..& let ya know, how I did.

URGENT
URGENT

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:35:56 AM

ONE MORE CLARIFICATION:  If I choose to import the Private Keys to the BlockChain Wallet do I use this string and replace Electrum with blockchain or BlockChain (does the caps matter ?)

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum#Export_and_import_addresses

/blockchain#

or

/BlockChain#

Thnks

URGENT
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:46:45 AM

ONE MORE CLARIFICATION:  If I choose to import the Private Keys to the BlockChain Wallet do I use this string and replace Electrum with blockchain . . .
No those instructions are only for importing a private key into Electrum.

To import private keys into a blockchain.info wallet, first create a wallet at the website, and then log into the wallet.

It should look like this:

Click on "Import/Export"

You should see the following:

Click on "I Understand"

You should see the following:

Enter your private key in the text entry box under "Import Private Key" and click the "Add Private Key" button
0dayatciyam.org

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 11:17:23 AM

Basically nothing as you'll find that you when you click on Login Now or pretty much any other button you end up in HTTPS anyway.

are you sure you know what is this https? seeing your screen is easy for me,but inside head not so much.
LoveSosa

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

EFFECT.AI▲Decentralized network for A.I

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 11:51:51 AM

losing bitcoins is like losing real money am i correct?

ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 12:33:12 PM

Losing Bitcoins is like losing Bitcoins. They're unique, and whenever I lose them (not that frequent) it feels like I lost x10 the total worth value in $.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 03:16:08 PM

1 bitcoin is worth 20$

I suppose you already know the answer  Cheesy

URGENT

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 08:45:34 AM

I'm stuck. Trying to retrieve Private Key from Satoshi Bitcoin Client. Can anyone help me with this error code, please? Thanks.

Safe mode: Warning: Displayed transactions may not be correct! You may need to upgrade, or other nodes may need to upgrade. (code -2)
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 01:45:53 PM

I had problems similar to that described (using bitcoin-qt in linux) the client said it was catching up, but after hours nothing had updated at all, not a single block.

What I had to do to fix it was, keeping a copy of the Wallet.dat file first (this is most important, don't want to lose that). I renamed (or delete) the old bitcoin folder. I also upgraded the client to the latest version and ran it. I noticed that a new bitcoin folder was created, stopped the client, and replaced the new wallet.dat file with the one I had copied earlier. I then restarted the client. There were messages saying transactions had not been verified etc, however I could see that there was movment and it was processing blocks.

I left it running for about 3 days and nights before it was up-to-date but eventually it did catch up. I'll stick with this client just now because i think people running that helps the health of the network, however it does seem that eventually everyone will have to move to thin clients as the blockchain just becomes too big..
URGENT

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 11:01:35 PM

I am having a similar problem, including an anxiety attack.
First, you'll need to calm down.  Trying to address the situation while in the midst of an anxiety attack is a sure way to make a mistake, make things worse, and lose your bitcoins permanently.

Right now, assuming you haven't started messing around with deleting, re-installing, or moving your wallet yet, your bitcoins are almost certainly safe.  You can't see them because the wallet youa re using hasn't caught up with the blockchain yet, but they are probably still accessible.

If you know the bitcoin address that you expect to receive the bitcoins at, you can use the following link to see that they are fine.  Just replace the YOUR_BITCOIN_ADDRESS_HERE with the bitcoin address where you expect to receive the bitcoins:

https://blockchain.info/address/YOUR_BITCOIN_ADDRESS_HERE

If the bitcoin address that you expect to receive the bitcoins at is displayed in the "Receive Coins" tab of your wallet, then you almost certainly have the private key necessary to access those bitcoins.

Depending on how far behind your client is, it can take a long time to catch up with the synchronizing.  If this is a problem for you, you may want to consider accessing your bitcoins from a "lightweight" client such as Electrum or MultiBit, or even consider a web hosted wallet such as https://blockchain.info/wallet

It would be a good idea to make at least one backup of your wallet.dat file, just in case you mess things up accidentally while trying to solve your current issue.  The more recent versions of Bitcoin-Qt all have a menu option to "Backup Wallet".  That is probably the safest way to do it if you aren't comfortable moving files around by hand.

If you are sure you know what you are doing, you can also find the wallet.dat file on your computer and make a copy of it.  This is the only file you need to be able to recover your bitcoins.

If you want to use one of the lightweight wallets or the web hosted wallet, just say so, and I'll provide you instructions on how to get your bitcoins imported into the wallet you choose.

If you only want to use the Bitcoin-Qt reference client, and you are certain that it isn't downloading any blocks any longer, then just say so, and we'll see if we can get it restarted for you.

Hello Danny,

Are you still out there?   I cant get the private keys because when I enter:  dumpprivkey (BCAddress) , press enter , gives an error message:  Safe mode: Warning: Displayed transactions may not be correct! You may need to upgrade, or other nodes may need to upgrade. (code -2) ??

Is it still possible to try and get the Bitcoin-Qt reference client restarted ?  per your suggestion? --> ..." ,and you are certain that it isn't downloading any blocks any longer, then just say so, and we'll see if we can get it restarted for you."

Thanks
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 11:08:48 PM

Hello Danny,

Are you still out there?   I cant get the private keys because when I enter:  dumpprivkey (BCAddress) , press enter , gives an error message:  Safe mode: Warning: Displayed transactions may not be correct! You may need to upgrade, or other nodes may need to upgrade. (code -2) ??

Is it still possible to try and get the Bitcoin-Qt reference client restarted ?  per your suggestion? --> ..." ,and you are certain that it isn't downloading any blocks any longer, then just say so, and we'll see if we can get it restarted for you."

Thanks

Can you get a screen capture of the error and send it to me?  I've not seen that error before, and I'm not sure what is occurring.

If you want to try to synchronize your Bitcoin-Qt wallet again...
There is a new version of the client available (version 0.8.0).  This version synchronizes much faster (only took 2 days for my computer).

Keep your backups of your wallet.dat file stored safely somewhere.

Remove your current Bitcoin-Qt from your computer.

Make sure that the %APPDATA%\Bitcoin\  directory in Windows is empty.

Download the new Bitcoin-Qt 0.8.0 from bitcoin.org and install it.

Wait for the synchronization to catch up.

When it is fully synchronized, shut down Bitcoin-Qt (wait for it to shut down completely)

Replace the wallet.dat in the %APPDATA%\Bitcoin\ with one of your wallet.dat backups.

Restart Bitcoin-Qt
URGENT

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 12:58:23 AM

Well, i'm already updating but the error was exactly as I had written it out.  Umm, I did copy the wallet.dat too 2 different flash drives and also saved it to my documents I believe. I opened, the wallet.dat file, that up last night & I couldn't make heads nor tails with what was in it? I just hope that it copied the right thing, because I think the bitcoin-qt was already frozen or possibly corrupted as the one gentleman wrote. I did see that the addresses that were in version7.2 were still there, as it was updating to 8.0. One is named "The first address I sent Coins to"," The second address I sent Coins too", then 3rd address (undeclared), 4th address (undeclared) & 5th address (undeclared). The reindexing of blocks was going very rapidly but looks like it may have slowed down, only 22,000 left. Seeing how the "recieving coins" addresses are still in the bitcoin-qt wont it pull down the two purchases I made that are currently in Limbo (I found them on Blockchain's address look-up) and complete the transactions? Wont the private keys be there as well-like I said cuz the addresses are still there?

sr
URGENT

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 01:06:30 AM

I guess I'll let it catch up and see what is or isn't there.  I may need a little more tutoring on how to swap those files..I will give you a buzz later. Thanks for your help.

sr
URGENT

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 10:31:18 AM

We have Success ! Thanks for the help & ideas !  Since updating the software essentially unlocked it, I stopped the program. Went to the console and dumped the Private Keys, imported them into blockchain, boom ! COINS ! Added some more security features, feel pretty good right now !

sr
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: