Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:37:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BitPay Surpasses 10,000 Bitcoin Merchant Transactions, Zero Cases of Fraud  (Read 999 times)
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 02:52:40 PM

http://blog.bitpay.com/2013/01/bitpay-surpasses-10000-bitcoin-merchant.html

“We have a good grasp of all the edge conditions and scaleability issues that a typical company would face integrating bitcoin payments, since we’ve done this over 10,000 times,” says Anthony Gallippi, co-founder and CEO of BitPay.  “We have some tremendous expertise in this area.  This expertise puts our business solutions well ahead of all others in the marketplace.”

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 03:43:11 PM

Congratulations! A great milestone.

I think somewhat regular though rare double-spends are inevitable, eventually, but it's great to enjoy the benefits whilst it lasts.
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 03:47:53 PM

Congratulations! A great milestone.

I think somewhat regular though rare double-spends are inevitable, eventually, but it's great to enjoy the benefits whilst it lasts.

agreed, just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't happen, but the dramatic difference between fraud rates in bitcoin vs. fraud rates in credit cards is a point that needs to be beaten home time and time again.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 03:54:07 PM

Absolutely. I can't see any scenario in which Bitcoin merchants will ever be defrauded at the same rate as with credit cards.

Of course, irreversible transactions to some extent push the pain around - ensuring users have secure wallets (hardware or software), and integrating 2-of-3 dispute mediation, will be necessary to truly deliver on the dream of a payment system that is fair to everyone.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 07:14:14 PM

All bigger businesses will experience fraud sooner or later. So it's just a matter of time.

I haven't looked by detail into all what you do, but if you only receive bitcoins on behalf of merchants, then the risk of chargeback is non-existant, esp. if you wait for some confirmations.

That being said, I appreciate greatly what you do for the bitcoin community.

On a side note, it's hard to believe what a company says, but I give you the benefit of the doubt since you're using 'bullet proof' technology! Smiley

It's also a matter of how you define fraud. If you use multiple exchanges or sources to pay out fiat money, and one of these decide not to pay money, would you consider that fraud ?

Take for instance this:
https://www.payment-network.com/deb_com_en/customerarea/security

Since launching SOFORT Banking / SOFORT Überweisung many million transactions have been securly processed. There has been not one online banking information fraud case. In fact, SOFORT Banking belongs to the safest payment systems on the internet.

This is a complete and outright lie. Something that I've experienced first hand. If anyone would need more extensive information, please pm me.

If you only process bitcoin payments, that's of course a great way to reduce or avoid the fraud. I was thinking of possible scenarios for how fraud could occur.

I am thinking that someone that has control of someones computer could manipulate the infected computer into sending btc payment to a BitPay address, but if that level of access was achived, why not steal the BTC outright ?

Another possible scenario could be that a web site is infected, and it's trying to mimic the BitPay checkout, thus leading the customer to send BTC to an adress belonging to someone else ?  Perhaps there could even be an attack in the browser ? Ie, a wrong address is shown.

Then an upset customer would claim he went to the check out process and sent the BTC, but never received the merchandise, how would you solve a case like that ? From your side, all you could see was that the BTC was never received. How can you combat cases like that ?
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 10:45:24 PM

Congrats on reaching this threshold!
And thank you for keeping us updated. It helps to form an image of the bitcoin economy (I have to say I had thought that the number of transactions would be bigger with 2000 merchants --> still, I am guessing the growth rate is and will be good for a long time to come).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: