Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:57:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the BFL thread be split?
Yes - 37 (27.8%)
No - 46 (34.6%)
LOL DONGS - 50 (37.6%)
Total Voters: 133

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Split BFL thread?  (Read 6256 times)
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 06:25:34 AM

Theymos said he will not ban people for trolling, so a warning is completely meaningless.
He will if it makes up a good portion of a user's posts. Also, trolling is often off-topic, but that really depends on the post.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 06:40:54 AM

Huh... well, I asked him today with regards to an unrelated issue about it and he said he won't do it.  To be fair, though, he said he won't do it for people being "annoying" but I would say trolling falls under the auspices of "annoying" by any definition. 

Good on him if he'll ban for trolling.  Can you define "Good portion?"  Are we talking 51% or 99.9% or what?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 06:51:07 AM

Huh... well, I asked him today with regards to an unrelated issue about it and he said he won't do it.  To be fair, though, he said he won't do it for people being "annoying" but I would say trolling falls under the auspices of "annoying" by any definition.  

Good on him if he'll ban for trolling.  Can you define "Good portion?"  Are we talking 51% or 99.9% or what?

Should people who are associated with businesses that take large sums of money (like BFL) and promise to deliver and keep pushing back delivery dates for more than 4 months now? Any other person/business that operated that way on these forums would be banned and tagged as a scammer.

I think that's fair. Trolling < Being 4 months late in delivering customer goods on a BAN scale.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 08:02:04 AM
Last edit: January 22, 2013, 03:14:05 PM by Frizz23

imho BFL has brought this troll/shitstorm onto themselves.

BFL/Josh has deliberately lied to the community, insults (potential) customers on a daily basis and is one of the biggest trolls himself.

If you treat the community like shit - the community treats you like shit. That's Karma.

imho all (future) postings concerning BFL should be deleted because, ultimately, they result in trolling. Until, one day, BFL actually has a product.

The most profound thread here is ASIC shipping dates by Morblias.

P.S.
I don't think BFL are scammer. imho they are just utterly incompetent and unprofessional. I believe they are cowboys with no clue of semiconductor manufacturing at all. Their business plan might look something like this: "Grab all the pre-order money we can get and then find us some boffins that do all the engineering stuff for us".

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 09:03:09 AM

Huh... well, I asked him today with regards to an unrelated issue about it and he said he won't do it.  To be fair, though, he said he won't do it for people being "annoying" but I would say trolling falls under the auspices of "annoying" by any definition. 

Good on him if he'll ban for trolling.  Can you define "Good portion?"  Are we talking 51% or 99.9% or what?

Are you worried about your account?  Huh
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 12:09:42 PM

BFL has always and will likely continue to always respond, not instigate.
If anyone is inclined to believe Inaba, here's the reminder how trolling was BFL company policy and not just his personal tactic:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88363.0

"The thread in which BFL trolls Enterpoint" was split and later preserved by locking by DiabloD3.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 03:34:54 PM

Even asking to split a thread gives a thread that should be split.
More chance getting to your goal if you split up the user base.

Ignore button yellow: 2 week ban to a new "here goes all" section
Ignore button orange: account will be restricted to the "here goes all" section forever:   both at moderator's judgment after posts checked,
making a second account?: before made account will be deleted, restrictions from former account implied to new account.

that'll teach 'm!

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 03:38:21 PM

BFL ad in sig? Lifetime IP ban.
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 03:40:46 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2013, 04:02:07 PM by Frizz23

Ignore button orange: account will be restricted to the "here goes all" section forever:   both at moderator's judgment after posts checked,
making a second account?: before made account will be deleted, restrictions from former account implied to new account.

that'll teach 'm!

Says the forum Nazi ...

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 04:27:34 PM

Ignore button orange: account will be restricted to the "here goes all" section forever:   both at moderator's judgment after posts checked,

that'll teach 'm!

Says the forum Nazi ...
Coming from the greatest troll Bitcointalk ever knew, I consider that a huge compliment. Thanks Frizz23 Joel Bitsnpieces Xulux Appotomax Supertramp!

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 06:16:37 PM

Seems a bit biased, I think if you split for one, Split for all, But this would be alot of work for mods, I did vote yes, But understand the workload if it came to pass.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 07:17:58 PM

Nothing to split for the others because their reps don't act like angry teenagers.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 09:21:43 PM

No percentages are used. It's a matter of "do the contributions of this person outweigh their negative contributions?" Or rather, "does this person bring value to the forum". It's pretty much a judgement call.

RHA

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 10:27:42 PM

BFL has always and will likely continue to always respond, not instigate.
If anyone is inclined to believe Inaba, here's the reminder how trolling was BFL company policy and not just his personal tactic:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88363.0
"The thread in which BFL trolls Enterpoint" was split and later preserved by locking by DiabloD3.
I have read all that.
Between about 200 polite forum posts of BFL_Engineer happened one post placed at the Enterpoint thread with a single line "I really hope that it will pay itself off by the time you retire..." and a second one with and answer for MrTeal about a timeline, but DiabloD3 immediately made an terrible scandal of it, splitted it and put as a sticky for a long time. Even other moderators believed he overreacted and abused his moderator rights.

Citing this as a proof of "company policy" is dishonest and confusing.

Returning to the topic, I support Maged point of view. The moderators have proper tools, they need to use them more often. The colour of 'Ignore' is one of the factors to take into account.
Smoovious

Activity: 504

Scattering my bits around the net since 1980

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 10:55:49 PM

The current forum culture can still be shaped but no forum can survive the inevitable "Eternal September" that makes every forum worthless.

The quiet, sane comments get shouted down and these users inevitably leave.
I remember when that happened... it was like someone flipped a light switch and all of a sudden, all hell was breaking loose...

The new people didn't have a clue and didn't want one. The kind of people that came through the floodgates ruining our culture made me so glad I had NEVER got involved with AOL...

We tried our best, but it became quickly clear, that this was going to be a losing battle... a great many of us moved to private invitation-only places on the net where we could still associate with each other in peace.

It was a great shame we had to do that, but what can ya do?

It changed the internet culture too, where now the internet is treated as if it is just one big playground no consequences and you can be as much of a loser as you want to be without getting punched in the face.

Only those of us who were around before The September That Never Ended, will have any kind of real appreciation over what was lost when AOL ruined the net...

-- Smoov
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 11:05:37 PM

The current forum culture can still be shaped but no forum can survive the inevitable "Eternal September" that makes every forum worthless.

The quiet, sane comments get shouted down and these users inevitably leave.
I remember when that happened... it was like someone flipped a light switch and all of a sudden, all hell was breaking loose...

The new people didn't have a clue and didn't want one. The kind of people that came through the floodgates ruining our culture made me so glad I had NEVER got involved with AOL...

We tried our best, but it became quickly clear, that this was going to be a losing battle... a great many of us moved to private invitation-only places on the net where we could still associate with each other in peace.

It changed the internet culture too, where now the internet is treated as if it is just one big playground no consequences and you can be as much of a loser as you want to be without getting punched in the face.

Only those of us who were around before The September That Never Ended, will have any kind of real appreciation over what was lost when AOL ruined the net...

-- Smoov

WTF are u talking about...

Its like you are talking about the 1969 SUmmer of Love & Woodstock through misty rimmed classes looking back at time in memorial...!!!

Here I will give it a shot

I remember in the days of BBS where every user had an account and was @ the complete discretion of the SYsop...ah those where the days 4 line dialup chat boards ...we where all so connected with love & harmony...what a load of rubbish ..it was exactly same bullshit that goes on today

EXACTLTY THE SAME

...lol  Cheesy

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Smoovious

Activity: 504

Scattering my bits around the net since 1980

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 11:19:40 PM

Its like you are talking about the 1969 SUmmer of Love & Woodstock through misty rimmed classes looking back at time in memorial...!!!

I remember in the days of BBS where every user had an account and was @ the complete discretion of the SYsop...ah those where the days 4 line dialup chat boards ...we where all so connected with love & harmony...what a load of rubbish ..it was exactly same bullshit that goes on today

EXACTLTY THE SAME

...lol  Cheesy
Go back to AOL where you belong.

-- Smoov
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 11:31:35 PM

-- Smoov

In the case of this forum and the ASIC threads, it's more a case of technology fan-boys being the soccer hoodlums of the internet. 

Bulletin boards and usenet were somewhat gated communities and there's literally nothing stopping anyone from creating gated internet communities now.  I guess the question of why any given online forum feels the need to throw membership open to everyone is an interesting question in itself.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 12:53:25 AM

EXACTLTY THE SAME

...lol  Cheesy
Go back to AOL where you belong.

-- Smoov

As if i was to be so lame like yourself to have been on AOL  ... Cheesy

OBJECT NOT FOUND
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2013, 05:57:57 AM

It's basically impossible to find any actual news about BFL amid the 130 pages of "LOL SCAM!!" "No U!" "I LIK UR DONGS".  Josh asked me to clean it up, but it basically an impossible task at this point. I offered instead to split the thread (e.g. break it at the top post) but he declined.  Well, regardless of what BFL staff thinks, I think it would ultimately be better for everyone to keep the polite, informed, and on-topic discussion in a separate thread from the madcap forum drama.

Here is a radical suggestion to reduce trolling: take the top N users that have the most ignores, and temporarily or permanently ban them from the forum.

N as low as 3-5 will work very well, since most of the trolling involves the handful of the most ignored users.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: