Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:29:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The bASIC Refund Tracking Thread  (Read 40955 times)
MonsterZero

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 09:11:09 PM

there is no delay in CC refunds - only short delay in BTC refunds because we need to buy more BTC

So, THAT is why the exchange rate has jumped from $13 to $17. I have seriously suspected this was you the whole time Smiley No jokes!

Exactly what i thought, not that i'm grumbling though, it's meant my fpga's i bought 8 weeks ago have nearly paid for themselves already Smiley

Hey silly question but if Tom only has so much money and he has to refund a certain amount but he has to use bitcoins to do it and they go up in price wont he run out of funds?  Seems like an issue unless he plans to spend more money then what he took in to cover bitcoin ordered gear. 

Maybe I am looking at this in to simple of a manner.   

I do not believe Tom will be refunding the original amount of bitcoins people used to purchase but the same equivalent in USD.  My understanding is that people who preordered with bitcoins will have lost out on the recent gains BTC has made against the USD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 10:01:08 PM

People who have received their refunds still paid a cost, an actual monetary one if they paid with anything other than USD (BTC, Euro etc) due to exchange rates.  In any case they lost due to opportunity cost by placing orders with bASIC in all cases they made a choice to not deal with one of the alternative manufacturers and lost out on earlier delivery.
Just to confirm, my order was 25 units, I requested a refund for the credit card transactions around the 11th Jan from Dave and I got the money back this morning in my online statements, I did loose a few percent on the $USD vs EUR exchange rate. But that could have had gone the other way, it just sucks to see the EUR gain so much in the last few weeks :-) And for 4 months my money was tied up and I could not use it for normal business, which could have gained me a lot more.

But at least they are keeping their word on the refunds.

My personal cost in this unfolding drama (comedy) is that I gave away 6 Avalon reservations (have fun Maurilio!) that in hindsight I should have kept. But the optimistic estimated delivery projected by BFL and bASIC made me place orders at them instead, so now I have the queue again to try and get more Avalon units...
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 10:09:17 PM

there is no delay in CC refunds - only short delay in BTC refunds because we need to buy more BTC

So, THAT is why the exchange rate has jumped from $13 to $17. I have seriously suspected this was you the whole time Smiley No jokes!

Exactly what i thought, not that i'm grumbling though, it's meant my fpga's i bought 8 weeks ago have nearly paid for themselves already Smiley

Hey silly question but if Tom only has so much money and he has to refund a certain amount but he has to use bitcoins to do it and they go up in price wont he run out of funds?  Seems like an issue unless he plans to spend more money then what he took in to cover bitcoin ordered gear. 

I do not believe Tom will be refunding the original amount of bitcoins people used to purchase but the same equivalent in USD.  My understanding is that people who preordered with bitcoins will have lost out on the recent gains BTC has made against the USD

Which is fair...just dont ask becoin his opinion on this matter ... Cheesy

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Grix

Activity: 536

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2013, 10:11:59 PM

Tom, will you at least refund the value in bitcoin at the time of the refund request?

BTC: 1Fahk2aa4NS4Qds4VDAL4mpNArDEdV2K5K
LaserShowGen Laser Show Software
Helios Laser Show Hardware
dmcurser

Activity: 502

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 10:37:13 PM

Tom, will you at least refund the value in bitcoin at the time of the refund request?

yes plz do this as a few ppl reuested refunds over a week ago

1Q7TPBHHVmGCvqffYHpXCCBgbcBQ4NwXdW
YipYip

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 10:43:04 PM

(I have posted in both bASIC threads because I really think this is an opportunity to hold people to account & also clean up BTC world)

I hope so .... the CC chareback in OZ can take 3 months (because the banks are ARseholes)

Also if 1 penny/cent/dracma/ruble is not refunded they all get scammer tags

This perpencity to allow people off the hook in the BTC world is astounding !!!!

The BTC community is creating this enviroment that attracts scams and CON artists.. it is the broken windows theory in action

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

I work @ a bank and as long as the DRUGS\MONEY LAUNDERING \CON MEN tag applies it will be extremely difficult for it to go mainstream

So the first step is to not accept anything but total professionalism & compliance to the law..otherwise we will be stuck with Inaba/BFL/bASIC levels of service forever   Cry

OBJECT NOT FOUND
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 10:58:28 PM

Theymos thinks cablepair's email <edit> might be hosed. Refund announcement and forum wipe could be someone still fucking around.

TNO

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/off-topic/789-writing-style-comparison-cablepair-posts-2.html#post11483

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 11:13:34 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2013, 11:29:52 PM by Mobius

All orders are being refunded, it's over folks.

https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=1048.0

Quoted from the site.

Quote from: cablepair

"First I want everyone to know - that all that nonsense that was posted on the Bitcointalk forum last night was not me. In fact I have not been on that forum in quite a while. My forum account was compromised and some people had some fun with it. I can't even get into the account now - so I am assuming that the admins checked the IP address and realized it was not me posting like a madman and locked my account for me. Either that or the intruder changed the password on me. Either way please DO NOT trust or believe anything that has been or is being posted by my Bitcointalk forum account. I plan to email theymos in a few moments to get my account back - I will update you when I once again have control over the account.

Many people have contacted me about buying these 16,000 chips - God I wished I had them, but I am sorry that post was not made by me and I do not have 16,000 chips to sell. I have to pay the second part of the deposit to receive the chips and I am not sure I will even be able to do that - although I am not giving up on the notion. I decided to not accept the loan that was offered to me to keep this company going. With a 90% refund rate there really is no point.

EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER WILL BE REFUNDED. PERIOD.

I have the list of BTC Refunds and should be making those today.
All other CC orders will automatically be refunded today.

I hope you can please accept my deep apologies, I thought I could pull this off but it was just too much of an undertaking for me, I feel ashamed and embarrassed and I am so sorry that I could not come through for you. Everyone will receive their refunds. As a matter of fact I am starting on them now.

This will take a little time, we are talking thousands of refunds. I wish there was just a "refund all" button but unfortunately there is not one and I have to do this manually.

this forum will be locked from this point forward - if I need to tell you anything else I will post again otherwise you will not hear from me - your refund will come automatically and theres no reason for communication."

I'll believe it when I see people getting their BTC refunds. We have been SHOULD ON enough.
YipYip

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 11:36:15 PM

Theymos thinks cablepair's email <edit> might be hosed. Refund announcement and forum wipe could be someone still fucking around.

TNO

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/off-topic/789-writing-style-comparison-cablepair-posts-2.html#post11483

Honestly this all reeks of 100% CON ARTIST TRADECRAFT

1) Personal breakdown
2) Substance abuse...SO he can blame something other than take responsibility for actions
3) Throw people of the scent of the trail with My Account is hacked and all coms of
3.1) You are all arseholes and the 1's to blame for the failure of the project
3.2) All moneys will be returned
3.3) The project is still going ahead

These coms cover all aspects & bases to both appease & scare creditors all @ the same time.. We are left with nothing that we can say is real or to be held to account

Can somebody just call the police in the USA and get this CON over & done with

OBJECT NOT FOUND
SysRun

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 11:50:38 PM

forum.btcfpga.com is not safe anymore. Where the fuck is "Buzz Dave"?

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 12:33:43 AM

TNO

Honestly this all reeks of 100% CON ARTIST TRADECRAFT

1) Personal breakdown
2) Substance abuse...SO he can blame something other than take responsibility for actions
3) Throw people of the scent of the trail with My Account is hacked and all coms of
3.1) You are all arseholes and the 1's to blame for the failure of the project
3.2) All moneys will be returned
3.3) The project is still going ahead

These coms cover all aspects & bases to both appease & scare creditors all @ the same time.. We are left with nothing that we can say is real or to be held to account

Can somebody just call the police in the USA and get this CON over & done with

While I don't think Tom handled this well at all, it is still a little early to say it's over and done with. I don't know if Tom will pay everyone back, as long as people continue to report new refunds (esp larger ones like the 25 unit order today) it could still end up not being a disaster.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 12:58:27 AM

Can somebody explain the bold text to me? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=135301.msg1441516#msg1441516

[23:08:27] Guest86565 [~cp@cablepair.com] is now known as cp
[23:08:38] ChanServ [ChanServ@services.] has set mode +o cp
[23:08:51] cp [~cp@cablepair.com] has set mode +o buzzdave
[23:09:03] <@cp> seriously
[23:09:08] <@cp> if your not a customer
SysRun

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 01:15:38 AM

Looks like he made buzzdave an operator on that channel. Probably automated upon ID. What's puzzling you about it?

YipYip

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 01:21:21 AM

While I don't think Tom handled this well at all, it is still a little early to say it's over and done with. I don't know if Tom will pay everyone back

Call the police

OBJECT NOT FOUND
dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 01:32:43 AM

if in the future you want or need a 0% interest loan for several thousands just call it a pre-order.  Grin

poop!
Bogart (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 03:42:31 AM

Can somebody explain the bold text to me? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=135301.msg1441516#msg1441516

[23:08:27] Guest86565 [~cp@cablepair.com] is now known as cp
[23:08:38] ChanServ [ChanServ@services.] has set mode +o cp
[23:08:51] cp [~cp@cablepair.com] has set mode +o buzzdave
[23:09:03] <@cp> seriously
[23:09:08] <@cp> if your not a customer

You should try IRC sometime.

I assume the channel being quoted is #BTCFPGA on FreeNode.  A channel made for discussion of MMQ, and now bASIC.  A channel in which cablepair is a channel operator, along with a few other individuals.

Channel operators have the power to kick users, ban users, set the channel topic, and to "op" (or "de-op") other users, etc.

Since buzzdave works for Tom, it makes sense that he would op him in the channel.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Bogart (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 04:12:39 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2013, 04:44:32 AM by Bogart

I believe Tom got a "community save" from his antics last night.. hopefully to finally come to a sense of ending with this whole shit storm..

You know what, I'm OK with that...

This perpencity to allow people off the hook in the BTC world is astounding !!!!

The BTC community is creating this enviroment that attracts scams and CON artists.. it is the broken windows theory in action

So the first step is to not accept anything but total professionalism & compliance to the law..otherwise we will be stuck with Inaba/BFL/bASIC levels of service forever   Cry

I'm kinda torn on this one; It's something of a delicate issue.  But I have to come down on the side of truth and full disclosure.  Anything less makes us all look bad.

I don't think it's right how this is kind of being swept under the carpet here on BCT.  Posts and whole threads being quietly deleted, and this justified by the "hacked account" story.

This is gonna be the real sticking point.  Unless Tom somehow walks into a giant pile of BTC, I think there's gonna be a big shortfall.

http://blockchain.info/address/19Ysizrie7XAGcqSTzhCTsMTuUaFU1hCEa

That's the address all of the BTC from the bASIC orders appear to have been swept into.  I imagine anyone who placed a BTC order can follow their payment address and see the coins ended up there.

We can see the order-sized payments rolling in, with their values usually extending to 4 decimal places.

We can and also a steady stream of roundish integer likely-human-generated denominations of BTC moving out over time.

25-Oct-2012: Some 5-and-change deposits begin appearing.  I think this is when the $60 DHL shipping upgrade was first offered.

29-Nov-2012: There's a big wave of refunds.  That would be after the "January delivery" post on the btcfpga forums.

11-Jan-2013: Again a wave of refunds.  Mine was included in that round.

Today the address is empty.

About 30,000 BTC passed through the address, which would be roughly 300 bASIC01s.  Seems like that could be all of the BTC pre-orders.

I'm not that good at reading blockchain.info, so I could be reading it wrong.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 04:31:19 AM

I should probably clarify.  I'm OK with allowing Tom some dignity if doing so means he'll actually wind down bASIC properly rather than just walking away and leaving this clusterfuck in limbo. 

I'm definitely not OK with ridiculous things like the post which announced that the project had secured new funding and was back on track being deleted.  That post originated on Tom's forum and I'm not going to buy any story that someone hijacked Tom's account over there and was posting untrue shit and Dave was somehow unaware of this.

I'm not OK with the fact that Tom is now basically refusing to communicate with his customers and all communication will now be one way, at his whim.

I remain extremely unimpressed that Tom has repeatedly said that the bASIC project was backed by members of this community and that those people have remained silent throughout this.  Were they all members of the "lenders syndicate" who lost money to pirate - is that why they can't be named and why they won't show their faces now?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 05:18:06 AM

guys - face the truth - its a fucking scam. Deal with it and move on. This has dwindled down to being just like pirateat40, well cept tom apparently did refund some...but as for since then... yeah. Its the end of the day here and I still dont have my btc refund. Hes lying. Its fake, ur btc is gone. Just as I predicted weeks ago, yet been banned nearly everywhere for saying so...

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 06:31:50 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2013, 06:44:48 AM by PuertoLibre

With a 90% refund rate there really is no point.

Uh....

Wait, is it me or isn't that figure exactly what the person behind "the compromised account" also said in their hack attack. How would they know that by gaining access to his account?

That raised my eyebrow a bit....

Edit: Answered by Theymos

Apparently a critical hack may have occurred. Possibly granting the hacker an email locker full of important stuff.

TNO

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: