Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:05:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EU Plans To End Anonymity For Bitcoin And Prepaid Card Users  (Read 1057 times)
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 12:21:33 PM

There’s a plan of the European Commission, which will be proposed in June, which will try to end the anonymity of virtual currencies, such as Bitcoin, and prepaid cards. The reason the European Union wants this new policy is that they need to fight terrorism more efficiently. However, the Europol just released a report, which says that terrorists are not using virtual currencies, especially Bitcoins, for funding their operations. They are not even using the dark net, they mostly use social media websites to spread their messages. ....

https://www.deepdotweb.com/2016/02/27/eu-plans-to-end-anonymity-for-bitcoin-and-prepaid-card-users/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4461

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 12:28:16 PM

its not about bitcoin directly.

they are not going to require KYC per bitcoin public key.
its only about the FIAT gateways into bitcoin, such as exchanges.

basically if the exchange offers euros, expect to be required to register as a euro money transmission business

infact expect the same for any fiat currency no matter what it is, to register with the country that fiat is native to

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3417

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 12:29:20 PM

I strongly believe their using this excuse (criminal activities) as their main reason for doing this, even though it has been proven already that criminal don't use these types of payments. What their trying to do is to take control and it has been like this forever.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 12:43:43 PM

Well this certainly was not proposed by someone smart. There is nothing really that they can do about it. This is a very foolish act when in fact only a small percentage of illicit actions are tied to digital currencies. I'd like to see how exactly they plan on doing this.

What their trying to do is to take control and it has been like this forever.
Indeed. Just another attempt to take more of our privacy and control over more aspects of our lives.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 12:56:44 PM

Why are they targeting pre-paid cards too? I haven't heard of anyone laundering money through such cards and there are far better, more inconspicuous ways to transfer money than through pre-paid cards. So now I need to give out my ID card to the kiosk guy I am buying a pre-paid card form?

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:14:29 PM

Why are they targeting pre-paid cards too? I haven't heard of anyone laundering money through such cards and there are far better, more inconspicuous ways to transfer money than through pre-paid cards. So now I need to give out my ID card to the kiosk guy I am buying a pre-paid card form?

whats next... giftcards?

imagine getting a giftcard for someone, but being told you need to fill in a form, name, D.O.B, social security number, address. and then when you gift it to someone they too need to register their details.

and then bam.. arrested for laundering money because the recipient is not the same person as the gifter.

it makes me laugh but its all possible

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:18:06 PM

They want to control everything guys, because people through bitcoin will not pay taxes and other duties to the government. Will the mixers help people avoiding these taxes?
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:18:19 PM

So now I need to give out my ID card to the kiosk guy I am buying a pre-paid card form?

Well in the US what they make you do is register your pre-paid card with the bank online before you can fully unlock it. You can still buy reloads from the kiosk anonymously but you usually can't use them to refill an unregistered card. It wasn't like this just a couple of years ago.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:20:00 PM

They want to control everything guys, because people through bitcoin will not pay taxes and other duties to the government. Will the mixers help people avoiding these taxes?

you can mix coins all you like. but if your going to convert it back to FIAT.. you need to expect to be taxed

n691309
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:23:28 PM

you can mix coins all you like. but if your going to convert it back to FIAT.. you need to expect to be taxed
I understand now, at the end point we need to expect to be taxed, maybe selling privately person to person would avoid taxes? I don't think we need to pay taxed for private deals.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:26:31 PM

If you're making profit then you're gonna be taxed. Avoid if you like but if you have a lot then take the hit and keep smiling. Sounds like a lot of work hiding big amounts of money.
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:32:21 PM

I understand now, at the end point we need to expect to be taxed, maybe selling privately person to person would avoid taxes? I don't think we need to pay taxed for private deals.

Or you can use bitcoin directly to buy whatever you want Wink without convert BTC to fiat.
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:35:15 PM

Its a bad news, i am using bitcoin because of the anonymous factor, if this really happen, i think i will try to look for other coin that can provides anonymity

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:36:45 PM

Its a bad news, i am using bitcoin because of the anonymous factor, if this really happen, i think i will try to look for other coin that can provides anonymity

bitcoin has never been so anonymous...it is/was rather pseudo-anonymous.
n691309
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:39:39 PM

Or you can use bitcoin directly to buy whatever you want Wink without convert BTC to fiat.

Yes, this is the best case buying directly through bitcoins as some deals here in the Goods board.

If you're making profit then you're gonna be taxed. Avoid if you like but if you have a lot then take the hit and keep smiling. Sounds like a lot of work hiding big amounts of money.

What if i didn't made any profit, let's say that i lost 1% trading on exchanges and want to get out of the 'game', why should i pay taxes?
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:42:10 PM

It is typical, they find that bitcoin isn't being used for terrorism, but they need to control it anyway.
I don't mind having a KYC for a reputable exchange, but when I spend my bitcoin at a bitcoin accepting establishment, there should be anonymity.

We don't have to show ID when we pay in cash, it should be the same for bitcoin
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 01:45:08 PM

Tax something they deem illegal and also supports "terrorism". Beautiful.

Yeah, all mixing is going to do is possibly taint your coins even more with other coins that are there used for "criminal activities"... That's mainly why people mix Bitcoin's anyways. Then you could run into the problem of exchange sites not accepting your Bitcoin's if the amount of taint is too high. I know it's not so likely right now, but if all this government regulation comes about, they might force exchange sites to do this.

This is one example of why fungibility is important.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16587

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 02:05:22 PM

Central governments are desperately trying to maintain their power. This FIAT-exchange is just a temporary thing, the moment you can just pay with bitcoin, it won't be needed anymore.
Who needs a prepaid card if you can just pay by scanning a QR-code?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 02:40:59 PM

Yeah, all mixing is going to do is possibly taint your coins even more with other coins that are there used for "criminal activities"... That's mainly why people mix Bitcoin's anyways. Then you could run into the problem of exchange sites not accepting your Bitcoin's if the amount of taint is too high. I know it's not so likely right now, but if all this government regulation comes about, they might force exchange sites to do this.
Unfortunately this is what a lot of people don't realize. The chances of getting 'tainted' coins when using a mixer are quite high IMO. This is why I avoid these methods and there are better ways of getting a different set of coins.

This is one example of why fungibility is important.
Indeed.

Exactly. A lot of people seem to misunderstand this anonymity. There are better variants if you need more anonymity (e.g. Monero). I doubt that they'd legalize a completely anonymous coin though.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 02:47:12 PM

well it depend, there is a common mixconception here

bitcoin is actually fully anon if you only move your bitcoin from one place to another, unless you can telling me what was my lost coins that was moved from one address to another on the chain

instead if you associated a shipping address or you do it on a exchange with a bank account, i can agree that it's not anonymous anymore
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: