Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:31:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to borrow various assets BTCT.co/Bitfunder/LTC-Global  (Read 1419 times)
Namworld (OP)

Activity: 745
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 10:17:46 PM

Looking to borrow various assets on BTCT.co/Bitfunder/ltc-globale/etc to short them.

Please PM me what you would be interested in lending and I'll give you a proposal.

Regards.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 08:20:20 AM

Markets emerge!

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 01:43:43 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2013, 07:23:55 PM by EskimoBob

Borrow shares listed in young and developing markets? What for?
Are you planning to dump those shares at those thin markets and see, if you can cause a panic and buy them back at lower price?
If I recall, slimy muppet popescu keeps yapping in IRC, how he will short this and that and make a billion. Is he bankrolling this little adventure of yours to make you look like a ass and same time promote his "one stock wonder" bazaar?

When you answer this, please don't lie Wink

PS! If you like, I can sell you few virtual shares of ART at slightly above IPO (and with some additional restrictions) but only, if you buy 10K or more.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Namworld (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 07:49:18 PM

As I said, short them.

It would be assets I believe have no or a poor future and would decline in value. So I would indeed "dump" them, but at the current market price or close to it, not dump them until I reach abysmal prices.
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 03:57:16 PM

As I said, short them.

It would be assets I believe have no or a poor future and would decline in value. So I would indeed "dump" them, but at the current market price or close to it, not dump them until I reach abysmal prices.

So, you are looking for a volunteer, who likes to bend over and get it up the arse?

Use that as a logo for promo.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Namworld (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 05:34:41 PM

If the asset indeed fail/scam/etc., the lender gets a bonus for lending he would not have otherwise. If it doesn't and remains the same or rise in price, the user is owed shares back + also gets a fee for lending.

If the holder's intent was to keep the shares long-term, lending them is a winning situation in any case.
Peter Lambert

Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

If the asset indeed fail/scam/etc., the lender gets a bonus for lending he would not have otherwise. If it doesn't and remains the same or rise in price, the user is owed shares back + also gets a fee for lending.

If the holder's intent was to keep the shares long-term, lending them is a winning situation in any case.

Unless you go under and can't give back the shares. There is always a risk somewhere.

I wonder if you would be able to buy back shares, the volumes on most of these are really low? What volume of shares are you looking to short?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Namworld (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 05:58:14 PM

Probably around 25-100 BTC worth at current prices, depending on asset.
Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 10:58:10 PM

I agree.  Not sure why the idea of shorting gets so much hate - at root it's a bet on whether or not a security will do well, with the person betting on it doing well getting paid for taking the bet.

If you want to short my asset (LTC-ATF - listed on LTC-Global) you're welcome to.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=112876.0

It doesn't pay dividends so whatever fee you paid would need to be determined in some other fashion than a markup to dividends.  Some percentage of NAV/U each month (paid in advance) would be ideal.

Current NAV/U is just under 30 (was just over until LTC started recovering).  You'd be able to sell any reasonable quantity at 35-40 no problem (I know of a few people looking to buy).

Could lend you up to 200 of my own (I own about 240).  Long-term is no problem (obviously you can return them any time you want after, say, a month).  As I've zero intention of selling my holdings blow 200 it's a good deal for me provided the fee you pay covers the risk to me of you being unable to hold up your end of the deal.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 12:41:28 AM

Not sure why the idea of shorting gets so much hate - at root it's a bet on whether or not a security will do well, with the person betting on it doing well getting paid for taking the bet.

In the actual market, I'm all for shorting...however here it's a bit different, and that's because there aren't any regulations.

For example, if Namworld decided to short the Notes in my fund I could artificially inflate the price..either by buying up a bunch of my own Notes personally or modifying the dividend rates / Buyback price to increase demand, ultimately driving up the price. The same could happen to other companies...it's not exactly ethical, but it could still happen. Though it could hurt your overall reputation, there really aren't any other downsides...it's not we're regulated here Roll Eyes

The idea that fund managers can have this sort of control is what makes me uneasy about shorting.

gabbynot

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 01:05:02 AM

I have some BTC-BOND I'll let you borrow. 

Smiley
nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 01:18:32 AM

Are there assets you are not particularly interested in?

usagi
VIP

Activity: 812

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 05:01:32 AM

Not sure why the idea of shorting gets so much hate - at root it's a bet on whether or not a security will do well, with the person betting on it doing well getting paid for taking the bet.

In the actual market, I'm all for shorting...however here it's a bit different, and that's because there aren't any regulations.

For example, if Namworld decided to short the Notes in my fund I could artificially inflate the price..either by buying up a bunch of my own Notes personally or modifying the dividend rates / Buyback price to increase demand, ultimately driving up the price. The same could happen to other companies...it's not exactly ethical, but it could still happen. Though it could hurt your overall reputation, there really aren't any other downsides...it's not we're regulated here Roll Eyes

The idea that fund managers can have this sort of control is what makes me uneasy about shorting.

I see your point and I'll raise you a theory. In my view, it's about liquidity. Let's say I gave Nammie a short contract for TU.SILVER on BitFunder. Say a paper contract at 0.192 per share. If I then tried to raise the price by not selling shares at .192 but 0.25 (trying to force him to re-buy at 0.25) what's to stop other shareholders from stepping in and making money selling at demand price? Working the bid is even more dangerous IMO. If I set a high bid and try to buy back shares above NAV price, all I do is lower the NAV. Long term I would just be lowering the value of my company and this would play right into the shorter's hands.

But in an illiquid market things are different, as you said. So I wouldn't want to short (or buy) a position that couldn't turn over in a week or less.
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 08:34:59 AM

I agree.  Not sure why the idea of shorting gets so much hate - at root it's a bet on whether or not a security will do well, with the person betting on it doing well getting paid for taking the bet.

It doesn't get hate in general, it gets hate from the people who are peddling shit and know it (both in BTC and in fiat, for that matter). Otherwise shorting has been wide open on MPEx for a year by now. Not that many have dared.

Arguably a company where you can alter the dividends/income at will has no point in existing in the first place, as it's simply a Ponzi waiting to happen. You don't need someone shorting to start doing all that.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Namworld (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:44:44 AM

@gabbynot
I'm not shorting my own stuff that has a fixed face value.  Tongue

@Deprived
I'll pass on that one

Are there assets you are not particularly interested in?
Anything, I'll just check the asset in details and decide if I'm interested.
Namworld (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:21:17 AM

Bump.

Would be interested in mining related assets, ASIC or not (if not upgrading to ASIC, I'd suggest you short these yourself ASAP)
wisard

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 11:31:41 AM

PM sent.

Buy me a beer or 2 if you enjoy my posts. BTC address: 1976Nb5u1T2haoxSZnJgHaemHYYtgKmTsU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: