Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:13:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 559 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XRP] Ripple Speculation  (Read 636325 times)
keepdoing (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 08:13:44 PM

I would like to hear people's opinion on XRP/Ripple.  News, Trends, Concepts, Technical Issues... anything pro or con that might be indicative of it's survival or growth opportunities in actual real world use cases.   Or things that indicate it's failure.

Here is my two cents to start it off, starting with a Disclaimer.
Disclaimer: I have weighted portfolio of Bitcoin (5 - 10%), Ethereum (70 - 80%), XRP/Ripple (10 - 25%). I'm a HODLer, not a Day Trader,a nd reportionments are done rarely based on trends.  My purpose of this post is to try and determine whether a repportionment of Ripple is appropriate.  And I am currently of an equal mind.  33% to lower stake.  33% says stay hte course.  33% says increase shares.  So real certainty here I tell ya!  LOL    Hoping someone will say something here to un-jam my mental logs.

My current facts as "I" see them....

CURRENT PRICE:  Ripple is doing absolutely nothing.  No real motion in any direction except sideways.  Only recent facto that may be contributor is the court case that allowed prior founder (McCaleb) to unload his billions of XRP at a current rate of "0.5% of average daily volume for each day of the week, including weekends and holidays".  So hardly anything of much substance, however, the fact that the price hasn't gone down means that there are at least enough buyers to keep the price even.

NEWS: I keep a very steady eye on Ripple, constantly trolling news, webs, boards for info.  Again - nothing.  Almost a total black hole of current news.  The only recent "news" are name dropping tidbits about SBI Holdings in Asia wanting to use Ripple.  Microsoft Azure being open to Ripple blockchains.  R3CEV hinting at Hyperledger open to Ripple use cases.  Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) running a Ripple Blockchain Trial.  Press Releases about 42% savings to banks using Ripple.   And vague references to Interledger, which is sort of analogous to Hyperledger or Lightening network in a way..... talk, no real world scenarios yet though.  And all of this very hypy-vague.   Just little tidbit trickles of "News", "non-News" actually, that basically says, "Hey, we're alive."

GENERAL THOUGHTS:  I think Ripple/XRP IS still alive, and due to the nature of its business model, is in "secret development" mode.  I mean, you won't see news, until you see news, but whe that news does come - it may be a hard break.  My opinion is that will most likely be up (obviously - I DO own it), but I guess it could be down, or it might even be just a really really slow up if the news is not dramatic enough that other coins (Bitcoin/Ethereum etc) aren't also releasing big news, and thereby suck up all the investment money that might go into Ripple/XRP - thereby blunting the reaction.  However, it could go the other way,a nd we could get good news out of Ripple / bad out of Ethereum/Bitcoin, and the pressure could be exacerbated up.   Also- the whole "premined" aspect doesn't bother me that much.  With all my crypto investments I am looking primarily at actual eventual use case scenarios to determine value.  The 2nd tier money coins (Lite, Dash, Monero etc) are of no interest, and even the Utility coins (Emercoin, Maidsafe, etc) seem a bit too spiky/dodgy and subject to market manipulation/risk to me.

Ripple is obviously a top tier player, but a little lacking in discussion at present.  Thought I'd fire up a topic. 

Peace,
- david
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pimpjuice

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 11:40:42 PM

Ripple is very much alive. I believe XRP will be one of the best crypto investments of 2016.

Just recent news....

@chrislarsensf of @Ripple: 90 banks in the pipeline, 30 in pilots, 10 production. Focused on payments rather than securities. #BISeattle16
https://twitter.com/BankInnovation/status/704430941880524804

Derivatives
https://ripple.com/insights/ripple-partners-with-crypto-facilities-for-xrp-derivatives/

Royal Bank of Canada
http://www.coindesk.com/royal-bank-canada-reveals-blockchain-remittance-trial-ripple/

SBI Holdings invests in, forms joint venture with Ripple
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ripple-strikes-multi-national-deal-060000917.html

btcbug

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 12:32:40 AM

I'm holding XRP as well and believe it's got great potential. My view is that it's useful for banks and allows them to stay relevant against cryptos. It's a bit of a hedge in a persons crypto portfolio. I've noticed a bit more in the news lately regarding Ripple, so that seems pretty positive as it had been pretty quiet for a while. Curious to see what others think.
btcbug

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:55:22 AM

What are people's thoughts on Stellar VS Ripple? Is Stellar getting any traction anywhere?
stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 02:58:34 AM

Ripple is going down the tubes.  Only bag holders and their fairy stories.

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
Pitchblackroom

Activity: 313

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 03:04:58 AM

The thing that surprised me about XRP is that its value always seemed to go up during times when bitcoin was falling and its slow recovery. It's just a value thats gone up

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
keepdoing (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 03:52:01 AM

@chrislarsensf of @Ripple: 90 banks in the pipeline, 30 in pilots, 10 production. Focused on payments rather than securities. #BISeattle16
https://twitter.com/BankInnovation/status/704430941880524804

DIRECT LINK FROM ABOVE STORY: http://www.coindesk.com/how-standard-chartered-is-using-ripple-to-rethink-trade-finance/
EXCERPT:  
"While big global banks are increasing bullish on 'blockchain', it has been less clear what specific technologies these institutions are referring to when they use the term.  To date, major financial institutions are mostly experimenting with the technology in closed-door consortium settings, and even when announcements are made, there is often an emphasis on the use case rather than the underlying technology powering the trial.  However, there seems to be growing acknowledgement among major financial firms that the distributed ledger technology offered by Ripple is gaining appeal..."

The above is interesting.  I think it is what keeps me HODLing and adding.  I'm not foolish enough to think anything is guaranteed, but it does seem like Ripple/XRP has a pretty reasonable possibility of a massive, sudden and untelegraphed move at some point.  I just hope I don't grow too old waiting on it.  It's hard to watch it sit so still, especially when I watch the Ethereum portion of my portfolio acts like it has a rocket up its ass.  Almost as bad as watching Bitcoin trade sideways into eternity.  LOL   Freaking Blockstream idiots.  They are the best thing that ever happened to Eth/XRP.  

Anyway, thanks for that twitter link.  Something I hadn't seen.
cmbartley

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 04:25:10 AM

I'm holding XRP as well and believe it's got great potential. My view is that it's useful for banks and allows them to stay relevant against cryptos. It's a bit of a hedge in a persons crypto portfolio. I've noticed a bit more in the news lately regarding Ripple, so that seems pretty positive as it had been pretty quiet for a while. Curious to see what others think.

Regarding Ripple, altcoin ideologues don't like it because:

-They feel that it's not decentralized
-They think that the network will be permissioned
-They don't want to provide identifying personal information (KYC/AML)
-It was all premined (therefore it's a scam)
-The founders originally allocated 20% of the coins (20 billion) to themselves (therefore it's a scam)
-Ripple is now focused on providing enterprise software to banks (i.e. Ripple is in bed with "the man")
-Ripple and XRP are not one in the same. Ripple can do quite well as a company without XRP appreciating in value. Ripple is a software company that owns lots of XRP that may or may not be used as a store of value within the Ripple network but you need very little XRP to settle funds in fiat on the Ripple network which could reduce the demand for XRP.

Some other people don't like it because it doesn't have as sexy a use case as Ether, MaidSafe, StorJ, or SiaCoin. Ripple basically facilitates cross-border remittances and other payments. It allows for settlement within 3.5s. In contrast, Ether is to be used to enter into smart contracts (business contracts that are instantiated entirely in computer code). People are fantasizing about all the ways in which you can disintermediate middlemen that take a cut of the payment as the contract guarantor. For example, imagine a smart contract was utilized for ride sharing, you could get rid of Uber (theoretically). Some people that are betting on Ethereum believe it will be as revolutionary as bitcoin.

Ripple doesn't feel that revolutionary.

The Ripple enthusiasts have a more sober/less emotional take (and pay attention to the news):

-financial systems have been built on trust since the dawn of time, maybe it's for a reason (i.e. partially centralized/permissioned isn't so bad)
-Ripple is attacking a real use case rather than a theoretical one
-Ripple enthusiasts have come to accept the fact that KYC/AML will be a necessary evil for any enterprise/broadly adopted digital asset
-Ripple is the only enterprise software out of the R&D phase that is being used by real companies to solve real problems
--Who's using Ripple (that we know of?): Standard Chartered, Royal Bank of Canada, CBW, Santander, and many more (http://www.xrpchat.com/topic/38-list-of-ripples-current-partners-and-rumors/#comment-38)
-Regularly Moms and Pops will likely soon be able to buy and trade XRP assets just as easily as they buy and trade stocks (SBI Holdings)
-XRP looks like it will be second truly derivatized and insured digital asset in the world (CryptoFacilities)
-If XRP gains liquidity with all currencies it will be one of the most stable stores of value out there (sheltered from inflationary/deflationary activity)
-Microsoft is on board
-Waiting days to settle funds is frustrating and expensive, it affects every niche of the financial system.

Given the number of banks signing on with Ripple they've got a good head start and network effects may give it a defensible marketshare. Plus, there's so much XRP in circulation with few entry points tot he network, that the price is still pretty low.
keepdoing (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 12:39:35 PM

-The founders originally allocated 20% of the coins (20 billion) to themselves (therefore it's a scam)
-Ripple is now focused on providing enterprise software to banks (i.e. Ripple is in bed with "the man")
-Ripple and XRP are not one in the same. Ripple can do quite well as a company without XRP appreciating in value. Ripple is a software company that owns lots of XRP that may or may not be used as a store of value within the Ripple network but you need very little XRP to settle funds in fiat on the Ripple network which could reduce the demand for XRP.

Some other people don't like it because it doesn't have as sexy a use case as Ether, MaidSafe, StorJ, or SiaCoin. Ripple basically facilitates cross-border remittances and other payments. It allows for settlement within 3.5s. In contrast, Ether is to be used to enter into smart contracts (business contracts that are instantiated entirely in computer code). People are fantasizing about all the ways in which you can disintermediate middlemen that take a cut of the payment as the contract guarantor. For example, imagine a smart contract was utilized for ride sharing, you could get rid of Uber (theoretically). Some people that are betting on Ethereum believe it will be as revolutionary as bitcoin.

The Ripple enthusiasts have a more sober/less emotional take (and pay attention to the news):

-financial systems have been built on trust since the dawn of time, maybe it's for a reason (i.e. partially centralized/permissioned isn't so bad)
-Ripple enthusiasts have come to accept the fact that KYC/AML will be a necessary evil for any enterprise/broadly adopted digital asset
-Ripple is the only enterprise software out of the R&D phase that is being used by real companies to solve real problems
--Who's using Ripple (that we know of?): Standard Chartered, Royal Bank of Canada, CBW, Santander, and many more (http://www.xrpchat.com/topic/38-list-of-ripples-current-partners-and-rumors/#comment-38)
-Regularly Moms and Pops will likely soon be able to buy and trade XRP assets just as easily as they buy and trade stocks (SBI Holdings)
-XRP looks like it will be second truly derivatized and insured digital asset in the world (CryptoFacilities)
-If XRP gains liquidity with all currencies it will be one of the most stable stores of value out there (sheltered from inflationary/deflationary activity)
-Microsoft is on board
-Waiting days to settle funds is frustrating and expensive, it affects every niche of the financial system.

Given the number of banks signing on with Ripple they've got a good head start and network effects may give it a defensible marketshare. Plus, there's so much XRP in circulation with few entry points tot he network, that the price is still pretty low.

Agree that price is low.  Agree that it isn't sexy to traders, partially because it is hard to get and hard to hold (limited exchange / wallet capabilities).  Agree that the main interest is in the top tier bank players.   Still don't understand at what point in time you define XRP/Ripple value as "Stable" store of value, and by what parameters, and under what fluctuation model will it be influenced.

Day Traders are a curse and a bonus.  They can help drive something up to a legitimate level, provide early finance for projects, but they can also kill it out of fanciful whim.  It seems like Ripple doesn't need the project finance because of the premine, but what keeps traders out in the long term.   Or do they simply open it up (exchanges/wallets) at some point at which time they are ready and let it fly?  Or does it get even tighter control in a bank only ecosystem??
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 12:48:59 PM

XRP is a dead coin.   No adoption.  Just bagholders telling fairy stories to each other

<-- Click here!
keepdoing (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:08:12 PM

XRP is a dead coin.   No adoption.  Just bagholders telling fairy stories to each other
Thanks.  I was beginning to wonder if I should keep holding.  But your factual data and such incredible, thought provoking analysis has convinced me to immediately sell this obvious dog.  The amount of time I have wasted, when I could have just asked you is so incredibly embarrassing.

So, what are your thoughts on Ethereum and Bitcoin?  I really must know.
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 01:24:24 PM

I think Ethereum will be at $1 billion market cap sooner rather than later.  And reach market cap parity with bitcoin sooner than people expect.

<-- Click here!
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:10:16 PM

i have been watching Ripple for some time now, but i have only seen the price not move or go a little down. but the daily trade volume is nice.

anyways i am currently holding my XRP, not given up on it yet.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
keepdoing (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:40:28 PM

I think Ethereum will be at $1 billion market cap sooner rather than later.  And reach market cap parity with bitcoin sooner than people expect.

i have been watching Ripple for some time now, but i have only seen the price not move or go a little down. but the daily trade volume is nice.

The above 2 positions, and I agree with both of them, really are at the heart of my personal dilemna recently.  I WANT to hold my XRP, because I do see it making a hard break at some point (AND I honestly think it is going to be a surviving valuable asset in the long run).  And I do think Ethereum is going to make another hard break upwards, and CONTINUE upwards.  To me the Ethereum move is rather predictable.

So WHY am I still stubbornly holding my Ripple/XRP?   I mean, if Ethereum is going to break up soon, and XRP languish in a sideways motion for the next 3 - 6 months, why not move it all ito Ethereum, then take profits and buy back XRP/Ripple in two or three times the volume?

And yet.... something inside me tells me to HODL fast on XRP/Ripple.  So far I keep listening to the "little voice", but again, reason for this thread is I am looking for any tangible clues to back that little voice up.
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 02:44:10 PM

Diversify partly in to ETH. 

XRP is just fairy stories about China.  (China is this mythical land full of willing bagholders for failing cryptocurrencies)

XRP is centralised fake-crypto dogshit.  Ethereum will make crypto real.

You decide

<-- Click here!
keepdoing (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 03:32:30 PM

Diversify partly in to ETH. 

XRP is just fairy stories about China.  (China is this mythical land full of willing bagholders for failing cryptocurrencies)

XRP is centralised fake-crypto dogshit.  Ethereum will make crypto real.

You decide
Well, I am currently 75% Ethereum.  I mean, I'm not stupid.  And I'm 8% Bitcoin.  And about 17% XRP/Ripple. 

Bitcoin will go skyrocketing once Lightening is worked out and the Tech Giants replace the "Money Holding/Spending" of the Bank Giants.  But Baks will still control major aspects of the financial world, mostly loan/derivative/investment - but will lose out to an active/fluid spending network controlled by Tech.   Ethereum will be an economic/technology driver in the "IOT".  It may even be a cash.  And XRP/Ripple I do see as potential Bank Currency.

Or Ethereum may kill then ALL off.  But I think it will be a mix.  But Bitcoin and XRP are NOT the darlings now.  Bitcoin because it is run by retarded monkeys, and has a power / scaling problem.  XRP because it is sheltered/fenced off from users.

I only need a single sideways moving coin to make up maybe 10 - 12%.  Bitcoin or XRP?
sandiman

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 03:43:42 PM

When I read what you said about Ripple news, I don't really agree with you. XRP is present in a lot of market place. Thus, its value should be exponentially moved in one way or another by these "news", that for the actual cryptocurrency situation, are far from being bad (99% of available cryptocurrency owners would cut their balls for this kind of partnership). I have considered buying XRP since I started investing in cryptocurrencies, but I have been waiting for it to fluctuate or respond to any of these positive news, which it hasn't done for the moment. I am still not understanding why it is not responding positively to these news in terms of value, maybe you have got some ideas?
cmbartley

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 04:35:55 PM

I think Ethereum will be at $1 billion market cap sooner rather than later.  And reach market cap parity with bitcoin sooner than people expect.

The above 2 positions, and I agree with both of them, really are at the heart of my personal dilemna recently.  I WANT to hold my XRP, because I do see it making a hard break at some point (AND I honestly think it is going to be a surviving valuable asset in the long run).  And I do think Ethereum is going to make another hard break upwards, and CONTINUE upwards.  To me the Ethereum move is rather predictable.

So WHY am I still stubbornly holding my Ripple/XRP?   I mean, if Ethereum is going to break up soon, and XRP languish in a sideways motion for the next 3 - 6 months, why not move it all ito Ethereum, then take profits and buy back XRP/Ripple in two or three times the volume?

And yet.... something inside me tells me to HODL fast on XRP/Ripple.  So far I keep listening to the "little voice", but again, reason for this thread is I am looking for any tangible clues to back that little voice up.

If Ethereum goes to $1 billion marketcap then you'll double you're current holdings. If XRP --> $1 billion you'll quadruple your current holdings. Ethereum will continue to gain value but remember, they currently have ZERO useful apps addressing real world problems. XRP is so cheap that it make sense to hold on to a small amount. 75% ETH : 17% XRP makes sense.

Personally, I'm more bullish on XRP given that it's clearly addressing a real world problem and is actively being adopted by banks. It's a pain to get XRP but I've never had a problem finding liquidity for it.

Microsoft news today will induce another Ethereum pump but I decided to sit this round out for now.
keepdoing (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:31:08 PM

If Ethereum goes to $1 billion marketcap then you'll double you're current holdings. If XRP --> $1 billion you'll quadruple your current holdings. Ethereum will continue to gain value but remember, they currently have ZERO useful apps addressing real world problems. XRP is so cheap that it make sense to hold on to a small amount. 75% ETH : 17% XRP makes sense.

Personally, I'm more bullish on XRP given that it's clearly addressing a real world problem and is actively being adopted by banks. It's a pain to get XRP but I've never had a problem finding liquidity for it.

Microsoft news today will induce another Ethereum pump but I decided to sit this round out for now.

I'm not actively participating in this one either.  I mean - I am heavily in Ethereum, but I don't intend to try and "time" any trading here.  Too close to Homestead release on March 14.  I sort of think this may be the beginning of what looks like a bubble - but may have a couple of other pumps coming.  In the end it may not be a bubble at all, just a step up.

Thats the problem with "Trading" in the major crypto currencies.  Traditional trading rules get destroyed when you are in a situation that involves an entire industry (financial) changing over.  Yes, you have ups and down along the way - but the overall trend is that you have the old paper/fiat currency of the ENTIRE WORLD, slowly pouring into this new space.  I mean, this is going to be a COMPLETE change in global finances over the next few years, and every day you have more people waking up and realizing this.  And money is flowing in, and flowing in.  And flowing in.

I'm just not smart enough to time this Ethereum move, except to know it will be higher and higher month after month.

And watching this I think I am not smart enough to time XRP either.  I think I am at peace now.  HODL on XRP for now.  I have 75% in Ethereum and it is making money.  I think I HODL and add to XRP, and let Ethereum do what it is doing without my help.

I think then comes the time of XRP, and maybe, just maybe Bitcoin goes up at the end?
btcbug

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:57:08 PM

-Microsoft is on board

Wow. Fantastic assessment and I agree, "ideologues" is a good way to put it. I love what BTC could potentially do for the world and I'm ultra-bullish on that aspect of it, but in the end I try not to be emotionally attached to it and hence why I'm also in XRP.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 559 »
  Print  

Jump to: