Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:39:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An Escrow Scam - Do You Recognise Your Transactions In The Queue To The Scammer?  (Read 859 times)
Intermediary (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 12:20:29 AM

I almost fell victim to this scam myself yesterday so I know what I'm talking about.  

Someone is passing this link off as the escrow sales page of OgNasty.  This page has nothing at all to do with OgNasty.

http://bitocintalk-topic303281.eu5.org/

If you click on it, it looks exactly like the bitcoin forum site.  But it is NOT a page on the bitcoin forum site.   For a start, it does not begin with https://   I've done a screen shot as the scammer took this page down two days ago, then reinstated it yesterday.

http://imgur.com/GcwzfNs

http://imgur.com/bhYRTci

The above images are actually from a page on http://www.eu5.org/

Every page on the bitcoin forum site begins with https://

OgNasty will ALWAYS private message you directly if he is in an escrow arrangement with you.  If the only response you get from OgNasty is in a forwarded message (and I'm not even sure it is possible to forward a message via pm, the other person has to copy and paste the code) then you're entering a transaction that has nothing to do with him.

If you have clicked on this page and sent money to it then maybe you'll recognise your bitcoins making their way to the thief.

https://blockchain.info/address/1C9JuiE5PccC9z7U5rEBfzFEGCqGGcQRBX  

You have been warned.  It pays, every so often, to look at the web address in the browser window and make sure you're on the site you think you are.

If you posted in the currency exchange forum that you have bitcoins to sell and have received a pm from a member willing to pay any way you wish, to any terms you ask for, and suggesting OgNasty as the most trusted member for escrow, then take a very careful look at any links this person gives you in a message they claim comes from OgNasty.

This is too late for the 8 transations already sent to that bitcoin address in the fake profile, but maybe it will help someone else.

Be careful guys and gals!

Intermediary

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 01:04:15 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2016, 01:35:07 AM by Lutpin

And the address belongs to....... User:  HumanResources https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=667743
No, it doesn't.
Someone (ADMlN-THEYM0S) tried to scam the user HumanResources and tried to trick them into sending coins to that exact same address/wallet.
Read the post before just dumping it here.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 01:09:57 AM

And the address belongs to....... User:  HumanResources https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=667743
No, it doesn't.
Someone (ADMlN-THEYM0S) tried to scam the user HumanResources and tried to trick them into sending coins to that exact same address/wallet.
I was PM'd by HumanResources offering me a programming job. Have not checked his response to my cover letter/application. Escrow scams are really becomingcommon on this forum. The new forum software should implement it's own built in escrow service.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
SlidingHorn

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 01:12:30 AM

No, it doesn't.

In my defense, it's not like that post is readable as such:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1253630.msg13121844#msg13121844

SlidingHorn

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 01:22:47 AM

I agree. Still, your above statement is wrong.

Deleted the post

rezilient

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 01:59:50 AM

This is the reason, why I have stopped transacting in the forum cos most pm's you are getting are 90% from scammers.

You don't pay enough.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 10:39:45 AM

This is the reason, why I have stopped transacting in the forum cos most pm's you are getting are 90% from scammers.

In fact, if you await an answer from an escrow you trust, you simply would need to click on the userlink and check out the profile.

All legit escrows will either confirm themselves via gpg or a bitcoin signature that the traders can check of validity.

And of course never ever send coins to a quoted address. Only to the real address mentioned in the pm from the escrow.

I had a lot of newbies trying to scam others with using a similar username like mine and some even copied the text I normally user.

Though with a little checking it can be ensured that you deal with the real escrow.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 10:55:21 AM

And of course never ever send coins to a quoted address. Only to the real address mentioned in the pm from the escrow.
Its easier in OgNasty's case, as he uses only one address as the escrow address: 168WXhArv7Fasqvi2xm5MQMfLhG18jifMe . Do not send to any other address, unless OgNasty himself can confirm in his thread(do see if its still bitcointalk you're on) publicly.

Also, if it gains enough support from the community, theymos can probably insert an admin note saying so(Example: Send only to x address)

Edit: If you notice an impersonator, PM either me , shorena , Lutpin or EcuaMobi or better yet a group PM.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 11:26:49 AM

Its easier in OgNasty's case, as he uses only one address as the escrow address: 168WXhArv7Fasqvi2xm5MQMfLhG18jifMe . Do not send to any other address, unless OgNasty himself can confirm in his thread(do see if its still bitcointalk you're on) publicly.

Also, if it gains enough support from the community, theymos can probably insert an admin note saying so(Example: Send only to x address)

Edit: If you notice an impersonator, PM either me , shorena , Lutpin or EcuaMobi or better yet a group PM.

Didn't know that but it still would not help when a user first is using OgNasty. Or when he does not know about that fact. He still could fall for a quoted address the seller claims coming from escrow. I had alot of these scam attempts. Luckily no buyer fell for such scam yet.

Though I think OgNasty might overthink that. It might give a bit insurance, though that can be given through other ways too. But it is not really great for anonymity of his users. And I believe it might be a nightmare to keep track of everything you hold in escrow if you don't have different addresses for each case.

When I get a notification of something like that I mark them red. I believe I'm back on default trust now. Or am I not? I understood it that way.

mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 11:29:38 AM

When I get a notification of something like that I mark them red. I believe I'm back on default trust now. Or am I not? I understood it that way.
I meant that for the public as a whole, and yes you are on DT
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 11:30:47 AM

You're DT2 courtesy of Blazed.
Leaving negative feedbacks according to those tries is the right thing, but those only can happen afterwards,
we also need to think about what we can do to prevent fake escrow scam attempts from happening inbefore.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 11:38:42 AM

You're DT2 courtesy of Blazed.
Leaving negative feedbacks according to those tries is the right thing, but those only can happen afterwards,
we also need to think about what we can do to prevent fake escrow scam attempts from happening inbefore.

Well, staff implemented a good thing with "Warning, this user is a newbie" on top of pm's coming from newbies. It became a bit harder to fake now. Especially because they would need to make posts with it and there is the chance they get noticed with their strange username.

I'm not sure what else could be done.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: