Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:19:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: devthedev trying to scam ???  (Read 2987 times)
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:48:43 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2016, 03:17:28 PM by devthedev

I can only speculate, however it is possible that uchi saw that the domain was about to expire and saved the script and/or uchi used an archive of the website.
Ok so here's the story.

I originally created passphrase.io.

I sold the domain and license to use my script to devthedev.  

A few weeks before the domain expired, I warned dev on two separate occasions that he needed to renew. Once via email and once via PM. I even offered to buy it back from him, but he ignored.

He allowed the domain to expire, and I bought it back.

Also, I think devthdev mentioned somewhere that he did buy the domain+hosting from someone else
Well there you go. Devthedev probably didn't even realize that the domain was (about to) expire.  

This is what happened. I was sold the script/domain last July and recently just didn't have time to continue development, so I listed the script for sale and just realized the domain didn't renew. Looks like unchi, the user who sold it to me snagged the domain as soon as it expired and rehosted the script in an attempt to sell it again. Extremely shady.

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
A73841

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 03:17:10 PM

I can only speculate, however it is possible that uchi saw that the domain was about to expire and saved the script and/or uchi used an archive of the website.
Ok so here's the story.

A few weeks before the domain expired, I warned dev on two separate occasions that he needed to renew. Once via email and once via PM. I even offered to buy it back from him, but he ignored.

Also, I think devthdev mentioned somewhere that he did buy the domain+hosting from someone else
Well there you go. Devthedev probably didn't even realize that the domain was (about to) expire.  

This is what happened. I was sold the script/domain last July and recently just didn't have time to continue development, so I listed the script for sale and just realized the domain didn't renew. Looks like the guy who sold it to me snagged the domain as soon as it expired and rehosted the script in an attempt to sell it again. Extremely shady.

Reselling the script is not ok and yes shady, but regrab the expired domain is not shady in my opinion
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8908

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 04:59:33 PM

Ok so here's the story.

This is what happened. I was sold the script/domain last July and recently just didn't have time to continue development, so I listed the script for sale and just realized the domain didn't renew. Looks like unchi, the user who sold it to me snagged the domain as soon as it expired and rehosted the script in an attempt to sell it again. Extremely shady.

The only way this could be shady if somehow unchi abused their position as the original owner... otherwise anybody could have grabbed an expired domain.

Did unchi retain control of domain registration or was it entirely in your control? I'm not sure I understand how you missed the expiration especially since you appeared to be trying to sell it before expiration - coincidence? Did you get e-mails from the registrar? Did you get e-mails from unchi?

On the other hand, I don't get why did unchi even try to warn you if the domain had been sold long ago (not leased etc) and fully in your possession.
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 07:06:09 PM

I think dev should reply here and let us know what all this is going on.
I think there is some misunderstanding between dev and original owner of site.
devthedev has replied here already... devthedev still owns the source code of the website, but unchi purchased the passphrase.io domain after it expired. devthedev originally owned the domain, but let it expire and didn't bother renewing it.
devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:16:50 PM

devthedev has replied here already... devthedev still owns the source code of the website, but unchi purchased the passphrase.io domain after it expired. devthedev originally owned the domain, but let it expire and didn't bother renewing it.

Exactly. Unchi may now own the domain but he doesn't have rights to sell the source.

xetsr
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:17:46 PM

Exactly. Unchi may now own the domain but he doesn't have rights to sell the source.

What was the original sales agreement between you two?
sase007

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:20:38 PM

Maybe, devthedev sold his account for a larger price.
He has recently stopped escrowing is there any reason we got for that?
Could possibly be one of the users just lying (as devthedev responded?)
xetsr
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:22:45 PM

Could it be possible you failed to read any of the posts above?

I sold him a license to use and modify the software. Not ownership of code.  

I see nothing shady here then.
sase007

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:26:26 PM

Did he definitely know this or does he think he purchased the site.

Could it be possible you failed to read any of the posts above?

I see nothing shady here then.

It could be possible that I only read the first and last 10 psts, rather than reading the almost entire 60.

It is most likely that both parties may have got confused about this sale.
devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:31:23 PM

What was the original sales agreement between you two?

It was a complete sale and transfer of the domain and everything related to Passphrase.io. There was no discussion of licensing.

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8908

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 07:34:10 PM

It was a complete sale and transfer of the domain and everything related to Passphrase.io. There was no discussion of licensing.

You guys are not quite on the same page I think.
sase007

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:52:34 PM

Even more confusing...
Seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere that has lead to tis?
Lets hope that it can be resolved, I am unsure wat the license was for can someone fill me in?
Shield (OP)

Activity: 333

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 08:24:14 PM

Both devthedev and unchi should discuss and reach to a final agreement that is good for both of you
rezilient

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 10:52:29 PM

Even more confusing...
Seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere that has lead to tis?
Lets hope that it can be resolved, I am unsure wat the license was for can someone fill me in?

Please stop with your useless sig spamming, you nor your posts are even helping this thread.

You don't pay enough.
devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 02:18:34 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2016, 02:30:08 AM by devthedev

That's for sure.  US copyright law states that transfer of copyright ownership is not valid unless explicitly stated in a written and signed contract.  This never took place, and I neither discussed nor had any intentions of handing over copyright ownership.  I sold a license to use a copy of the software, plus the domain and user base that came along with the domain.  Dev still owns the license to use and modify the code, and he is free to use it on another domain.  In fact, I will now give him my permission to sell and distribute the version of code that he has (which is different from what is running on my server since I went through and completely changed the back end).   However, that doesn't mean that I have to give up my right to sell my own copyrighted intellectual property.

The bigger issue, in my opinion, is that he tried to sell a domain that he doesn't own.  He claims he didn't know that it expired, so as far as I'm concerned, this case is closed and I will remove myself from the conversation.

You retroactively converted the sale into a lease, I thought I was dealing in ethical business like a reasonable person, not signing up for a contest in copyright wankery.

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 07:25:34 AM

This is really fucked up. I'm sorry that this happened to you devthedev.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 02:45:49 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2016, 03:09:36 PM by devthedev

Here's the official scam accusation thread against Unchi, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1383945.msg14072696#msg14072696

This is really fucked up. I'm sorry that this happened to you devthedev.

Yup. This is a snippet of our last communication. (July 7th, 2015)

That's for sure.  US copyright law states that transfer of copyright ownership is not valid unless explicitly stated in a written and signed contract.  This never took place, and I neither discussed nor had any intentions of handing over copyright ownership.  I sold a license to use a copy of the software, plus the domain and user base that came along with the domain.  Dev still owns the license to use and modify the code, and he is free to use it on another domain.  In fact, I will now give him my permission to sell and distribute the version of code that he has (which is different from what is running on my server since I went through and completely changed the back end).   However, that doesn't mean that I have to give up my right to sell my own copyrighted intellectual property.

The bigger issue, in my opinion, is that he tried to sell a domain that he doesn't own.  He claims he didn't know that it expired, so as far as I'm concerned, this case is closed and I will remove myself from the conversation.

You retroactively converted the sale into a lease, I thought I was dealing in ethical business like a reasonable person, not signing up for a contest in copyright wankery.

Quoted for reference.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: