Bitcoin Forum
October 22, 2016, 11:41:09 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.0  [Torrent].
   Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New to Bitcoins and getting strange CUDA error.  (Read 1618 times)

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:10:00 AM

Hey everyone, I am new to bitcoin and have been trying to set up pooled mining so that I can at least get some bitcoins to start with.

What I have already done:

-Installed Bitcoin
-Installed m0mchil's miner -
-Installed the Gui miner -
-Registered an account for pooled mining with Slush. -

Now where my troubles start:

-Attempted To follow this guide ( ) Although a lot of it seemed very ambiguous.

for instance:

3. Next, you want to start bitcoin.exe with the '-server' argument specified. This tells bitcoin that there will be external programs running and allows bitcoin to communicate with them. To do so, bring your command prompt back into focus and type:

bitcoin.exe -server

(alternatively you can just launch bitcoind.exe from the \daemon directory, which is the GUI-less client, but I prefer to use the GUI client. Using bitcoind.exe is equivalent to launching bitcoin.exe with the arguments -server -daemon specified)

Now you will see bitcoin start up for the first time. Your client must first download the block chain before you will be able to start generating coins, and this is done automatically on first startup. You will see the number of blocks begin to increase over time, and at the time of writing there are 111,449 blocks (you can view the current block count here). This can take several hours so be patient and let it do its thing. This process can be sped up if you forward port 8333 TCP on your router, but this is not required.

So I did this and started up bitcoin...nothing special happened and it just started normally and looked exactly the same when I first started the program just to see what it looked like. Was I supposed to see something happen? Is there some sort of confirmation that shows up when this "block chain" is automatically downloaded?  Huh Huh How would I know if it downloaded it or not? I guess this may be partially my fault since I got ahead of myself and downloaded/opened all the programs first before reading any large guide so now much of the guide may or may not ( I am not sure ? ) apply to me. Very confused.  Huh

Problem #2:

I am using a simple system just to test everything out to see how it goes. It is a win7/ with a Nvidia 9500GT GPU. On loadup it tells me the system didn't find any OpenCL devices so I decided to use CUDA because I heard the support for CUDA is better with my Nvidia card anyways. However when I try to use the guiminer to file->new other miner->rpcminer-cuda.exe and then try to Start the mining process in Guiminer, rpcminer-cuda.exe crashes. I get the windows error message that pops up whenever a program crashes / "rpcminer-cuda.exe has stopped working etc. etc." and then Guiminer just hangs on "Starting" forever and will not progress further.

Any ideas on where I may have gone wrong? I figure either my video card is having issues or I missed a step somewhere ( I will admit a lot of the Newlobster guide made zero sense to me and seemed to be tailored to a specific way of doing things that may or may not apply to me ) Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.