Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:17:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Tor NZB Index Site Accepting Bitcoins  (Read 4110 times)
TorNZBs (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 01:31:09 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2013, 02:51:51 PM by TorNZBs

TorNZBs: http://nzbsindex6x6o3pt.onion/

With the recent closings of several Usenet NZB index sites and the closed registration status of many others, myself and several friends have found it necessary to run our own Newznab server. In order to maintain some resemblance of privacy the website has been established as a Tor hidden service and is ONLY accessible via the Tor network. To facilitate this I have created a small Tor proxy in python which allows most of the popular Usenet tools (SABnzbd, Sick Beard, CouchPotato, etc) to query the index via Tor, but still download from Usenet over your primary internet connection. This might also be possible using one of the official Tor proxies, but I couldn't find a cross-platform solution which was as easy for the end user to set up.

From the conversations I've had and overheard lately I believe there might be others in the community who would like to join us. Currently we are running on the hardware we can afford out of pocket, but the addition of new users would give us the funds to acquire better hardware, increase the number of groups being indexed, continue adding to our days of backfill, and add some redundancy to avoid service outages. As of the date of this post we have completed 6 months of indexing on a dozen groups with additional days being added every hour. Our goal is to continue indexing these groups throughout the last 4 years and begin adding new groups based on user requests.

In order to do this we are, as of today, opening registration to the public. To begin with, all new users will be provided a 7-day trial period with limited download and API request restrictions. This is provided to let you test our Tor connected index and verify everything is working correctly. To activate a full subscription, payments can be made in Bitcoins for month-to-month, three months, half year, or full year increments. It is our hope that, if the community interest is great enough, we can substantially lower these prices in the future once we can afford better hardware.

1 Month: 0.15 BTC
3 Months: 0.4 BTC
6 Months: 0.6 BTC
12 Months: 1 BTC

All Bitcoins are stored in an offline wallet and subscriptions will be activated after two confirmations.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TorNZBs (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 02:57:24 PM

With the number of subscriptions we've picked up in the last few days we are reducing our fees. Everyone who had subscribed at the previous prices has already been credited based on the new prices retroactively.
alex_fun

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 01:10:48 AM

BTC seems to enable alot of interesting services Cheesy

TorNZBs (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 08:02:58 PM

Topic moved to Service Announcements.