Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:03:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BEST MINING GRAPHIC CARD AT A CURRENT TIME!!!!???  (Read 4551 times)
MystiQla (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 11:48:05 PM

Whats the best mining graphic card at a current time?
Im planning on adding a graphic card to my pc and start mining again...
I cant decide which card to choose...from my research I have done here are the ones I consider choosing from:
5850, 5870, 5770, 5830, 5970, 7970, 6770..and I have found only 6770, 7970 online that are in stock still... Sad
Please help me choose!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Huh Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 12:50:36 AM

None Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 12:53:19 AM

None Smiley

Honestly this.

If you are a hardcore gamer then buy the best AMD GPU for gaming and consider anything you get from mining as a gift.   Buying GPU for mining today is a good way to take a pile of cash and light it on fire.  You have absolutely no hope of breaking even much less showing a profit.
davebodger

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 01:22:19 AM

I can highly recommend a 7970 for gaming and it can crank out over 600MH/s when you are not playing games.
But like the last person said, buy it because it's a good gaming card, not because it can mine bitcoins.
Because in a few months when the ASIC rigs start mining the difficulty will raise so high it won't be worth mining with GPUs anymore.
However, afterwards, Folding@Home, BOINC and several other distributed computing challenges will welcome your GPU with open arms.  Smiley

If you think I deserve it - BTC always welcome - 14GkxT2xcpgvGVBgMjtGeFiXrxnttBSRRF
mesquka

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

"Human equivalent of a typo."

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 01:22:57 AM

If you want to invest in mining, the best thing to do would be to pre-order and ASIC.
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 01:54:29 PM

Go back and read the replies to your question again. Buy the card you want for gaming. The few bitcents a day you get from mining with it are bonus. Do not buy a card specifically for mining.

As for "I have never heard of ASIC....how does that work??"...have you been living under a rock, in a cave, on Mars for the last year? Google is your friend. There is a metric shit-ton of information on bitcoin ASIC miners that are in development. Several vendors claim to have units on the cusp of being shipped.  Butterfly Labs, bASIC, Avalon... This is the Information Age, and rewards come to those who go out and seek knowledge, rather than asking for it to be handed to them.

Go forth, and bitcoinify.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 02:13:35 PM

You want to become rich with mining? Better inform yourself, you don't just mine with your computer and become rich lol

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 02:23:52 PM

I'm glad there are other people saying this now, don't mine for profit you'll just lose money, Bitcoin and mining should be seen as a new currency and as a way of transferring your wealth from paper money.
v3miner

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:17:09 PM

None Smiley

Honestly this.

If you are a hardcore gamer then buy the best AMD GPU for gaming and consider anything you get from mining as a gift.   Buying GPU for mining today is a good way to take a pile of cash and light it on fire.  You have absolutely no hope of breaking even much less showing a profit.

Yeah, to give you an idea, I mined .061 BTC in 3 days with 2 computers LOL. It was just for fun, and it WAS FUN, but I'm not planning on mining any more without ASIC or at least some extremely cheap FPGA's.
I don't pay for electricity at my office so I'm not really losing anything, but I don't like burning out my GPU's for no reason.

Probably just sell stuff for BTC for awhile.
MrKnowITall

Activity: 27

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 01:54:24 AM

The real question is when do the graphics cards for mining look attractive again.  If BTC still proceeds to increase substantially then the cost of the mining rigs become worth it again.  After all the asics have yet to be delivered
v3miner

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 03:30:38 AM

I'd say when ample time has passed with ASICs being a no-show. At this point I wouldn't feel comfortable investing in a new GPU rig solely for mining BTC. I prefer FPGA anyway due to the reduced size and power requirements.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 03:36:32 AM

The real question is when do the graphics cards for mining look attractive again.  If BTC still proceeds to increase substantially then the cost of the mining rigs become worth it again.  After all the asics have yet to be delivered

It seems you have your mind made up so maybe you should just build a rig but the honest answer is never.

There are plenty of idle mining rigs out there.  Rigs run hard so they have little resale value and due to electrical costs are unprofitable at the current (price/difficulty ratio).  That ratio tends to be pretty stable so if price rises some marginal rigs will come online raising difficulty, if price falls then some barely profitable rigs will turn off lowering difficulty.   While price may rise a lot it unlikely that will make it suddenly attractive for new rigs.

An example of this ratio:

You will note that for more than a year despite massive swings in price and difficulty miners have earned (gross) roughly $2 to $4 per GH/s per day. The reality is that the capital cost will takes months (probably 6-9 or more) to recover at this earning rates.  Even if ASICs are delayed say 3 months you would still lose a significant portion of the investment gamble.  

To build a new rig now is essentially just gambling.  I mean if you want to gamble then gamble but you probably will have more fun playing satoshi dice.
DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2013, 04:23:54 PM

maunderingcabal

Activity: 154

Don't dwell in the past, don't dream of the future

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 01:35:18 AM

If you want to invest in mining, the best thing to do would be to pre-order and ASIC.

Watch out! Many of the big ASIC developers may be scams, and you won't get your preorder money back. When ASICs do come out to the general public, if ever, then buy one. Don't preorder, they have pushed back release dates for Butterflylabs like a million times.

You like my post? Buy me a beer for ฿0.01
13KKQYQLmDFaTtcoPDtnt3My1PPUdcc8AL
My website/blog/bitcoin store
sounds

Activity: 140

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 02:00:18 AM

I see bASIC was listed as a choice for an ASIC, so let me echo what everyone else is saying:

Most guys who preordered ASICs got scammed.

bASIC has folded. Not everyone has received their money back. Nobody even has an ASIC, not from any company yet.

If you think BTC is a good choice, look for a bitcoin exchange and convert your USD directly to BTC.
MonkPsycho

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:00:01 AM

Buy 7950 or 7970, best buy atm
anonymous_acc

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 12:06:59 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

BTC: 1HRcwjxG2H5vSnNo5ZbGqMxRPFWJk6dwW9
Midnight Man

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 12:54:00 PM

...Nobody even has an ASIC, not from any company yet...

Forgive me sir, I am new, and literally only discovered Bitcoin a few days ago.

I heard, however, that one distributor, Avalon, have sent out their first 300 units a few days ago?  Has no-one received theirs yet?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 01:11:28 PM

No one.

detro

Activity: 45

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 03:14:58 PM

I haven't really followed the supposed shipping of Test units to Jeff and the Bitcoin foundation in the last week so i am still in speculation mode. I've wanted to get a jump on the ASIC market but sadly adopted Bitcoins too late and cannot afford to lose money on a pre-order for a ASIC unit. But with the way most of the companies say they will be shipping (from what ive seen) is in small batches of 200-300 at a time(one day in the future...maybe), so i feel like if I dont pre-order, by the time I get an ASIC i may barely break even and make enough $ for cigarettes and MAYBE my private VPN bill every month. BFL's site etc looks the most promising info and design wise but seems to have the most negative feedback on their release push backs, Avalon seems iffy as they haven't provided much if any information regarding this boards and I'm too tired this morning to even recall the others I've looked into, BFL was looking the best on my budget.

Can anyone give me a breakdown on who may ACTUALLY be legit with some proof and not just a bunch of FUD? (fear, uncertainty, doubt)

Also, does anyone have a rough idea of how much FPGA boards may have gone down in price since ASIC tech has "supposedly" come closer to being a reality? And if so does anyone have suggestions on a reasonable and economically good choice for a FPGA board? If so that suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

My VPN only takes BTC so i would at least like to have some sort of mining to simply pay those 5 btc a month without having to order a bunch of rely on my old ATI's and setting up a a large-er piece of garbage mining rig that eats more power than it makes btc.

Anywho, Thanks in Advance
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: