Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:38:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you guys realize that the first coin WITHOUT A BLOCKCHAIN is about to launch?  (Read 4930 times)
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 08:40:54 PM

1. But it may not always be unambiguous or other reasons that they can't do what you think they are incentivized to do. MUST is not the same as incentive. Be very careful in analyzing the details of consensus designs.

2. The transactions that follow the double-spend must be because they include the double-spend by referencing it. You need to study more closely the concept of the DAG. The transactions reference prior transactions. I thought you know that. So if there is a double-spend, but isn't known to be a double-spend until later, then all the transactions that referenced it will be potentially reversed. But again which set? It is ambiguous.

1. Maybe, I'm no expert on Iota, I just see parallels between the LCR and longest stream of POW.

2. I know transactions reference prior transactions, I'm just trying to understand why you must invalidate transactions which chain from a double spend, when you could also just not apply the double spend and carry on?
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 08:46:43 PM

1. But it may not always be unambiguous or other reasons that they can't do what you think they are incentivized to do. MUST is not the same as incentive. Be very careful in analyzing the details of consensus designs.

2. The transactions that follow the double-spend must be because they include the double-spend by referencing it. You need to study more closely the concept of the DAG. The transactions reference prior transactions. I thought you know that. So if there is a double-spend, but isn't known to be a double-spend until later, then all the transactions that referenced it will be potentially reversed. But again which set? It is ambiguous.

1. Maybe, I'm no expert on Iota, I just see parallels between the LCR and longest stream of POW.

2. I know transactions reference prior transactions, I'm just trying to understand why you must invalidate transactions which chain from a double spend, when you could also just not apply the double spend and carry on?

2. DSPEND <- GOODA <- GOODB. How do you modify GOODA or GOODB to not point to DSPEND when you do not have the private key. And if you allow anyone to change the references, then you have chaos.

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 08:52:52 PM

2. DSPEND <- GOODA <- GOODB. How do you modify GOODA or GOODB to not point to DSPEND when you do not have the private key. And if you allow anyone to change the references, then you have chaos.

I might be missing something very obvious here, but why do you need to do that? Nodes won't apply a transaction that is invalid, so the double spend just doesn't get applied - the other transactions which are chained can still get applied without issue as long as they are unrelated to the double spend?
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 08:55:23 PM

I might be missing something very obvious here, but why do you need to do that? Nodes won't apply a transaction that is invalid, so the double spend just doesn't get applied - the other transactions which are chained can still get applied without issue as long as they are unrelated to the double spend?

You continue to do this mistake.

Double-spends are not unambiguous. Who decides which double-spend is reversed? That is why we have LCR.

If nodes can ignore the cumulative work, then you have chaos. You are forgetting the most fundamental point of LCR which is that only it gets to decide. Otherwise anyone can Sybil.

This is also why eMunie can't work without blocks. Period.

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:04:34 PM

Double-spends are not unambiguous. Who decides? That is why we have LCR.

If nodes can ignore the cumulative work, then you have chaos. You are forgetting the most fundamental point of LCR which is that only it gets to decide. Otherwise anyone can Sybil.

Why can't the LCR just change the order the transactions get applied in, rather than discarding entire branches?
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:06:15 PM

Why can't the LCR just change the order the transactions get applied in, rather than discarding entire branches?

Who decides that. Why is it unambiguous. Wink

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:12:16 PM

The LCR decides. So:

Code:
Chain 1:    A<-B-<C
Chain 2: D<-A<-E<-F<-G

Order:

D,A (chain 1), A (chain 2, invalid so not applied), E, B, F, C, G

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:13:59 PM

The LCR decides. So:

Code:

Order:

D,A (chain 1), E, A (chain 2, invalid so not applied), F, B, G, C

Keep thinking until you realize there are ambiguities. You'll eventually figure it out.

Which A is valid. Duh.

Okay so you change the rule that all double-spends are invalid. But there is still an ambiguity.

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:15:16 PM

The LCR decides. So:

Code:

Order:

Keep thinking until you realize there are ambiguities. You'll eventually figure it out.

Which A is valid. Duh.

The one in the longest chain.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:17:03 PM

The LCR decides. So:

Code:

Order:

Which A is valid. Duh.

Which isn't a static event. Did you completely forget  your error when analyzing that failed design of mine yesterday.

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:20:43 PM

The LCR decides. So:

Code:

Order:

Which A is valid. Duh.

Which isn't a static event. Did you completely forget  your error when analyzing that failed design of mine yesterday.

Ok, so you're saying that the incentive to have transactions confirmed in a timely manor is not sufficient to ensure users extend the longest chain?
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:23:35 PM

The LCR decides. So:

Code:

Order:

Which A is valid. Duh.

Ok, so you're saying that the incentive to have transactions confirmed in a timely manor is not sufficient to ensure users extend the longest chain?

I am exasperated. Can't you see that when there is ambiguity then there is conflict. Conflict resolution is why needed LCR and blocks.

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:39:23 PM

I am exasperated. Can't you see that when there is ambiguity then there is conflict. Conflict resolution is why needed LCR and blocks.

Here is an example of a deterministic LCR transaction ordering for a forked chain:

The numbers denote the order they get processed in, and the time axis shows when they actually arrive.
monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 10:37:16 PM

The LCR decides. So:

Code:

Order:

D,A (chain 1), A (chain 2, invalid so not applied), E, B, F, C, G

I just realised I've made a horrible typo here which is not helping at all, this should read:

Code:
Chain 1:    A<-B<-C

Order of application:

D,A (chain 2), A (chain 1, invalid so not applied), E, B, F, C, G

A is the transaction which is spent twice.
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 07:14:35 AM

I will not comment because I been threatened with a lawsuit by David if I comment.

Lolsuit

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 07:18:22 PM

1In fact, the author's feeling is that the tip approval strategy is the most important ingredient for constructing a tangle-based cryptocurrency. It is there that many attack vectors are hiding. Also, since there is usually no way to enforce a particular tip approval strategy, it must be such that the nodes would voluntarily choose to follow it knowing that at least a good proportion of other nodes does so.

cryptomite (OP)

Activity: 304
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 06:46:59 AM

We will know soon enough.

It made me a little less worried when I seen that jl777 bought tokens.

andulolika
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 04:45:19 PM

For how long is that gonna last? It would be interesting but blockchain is the nice thing about bitcoin.

🔥 🔥 🔥  Satochip - Secure the future  🔥 🔥 🔥
⭐️ Hardware wallet on a smartcard | Affordable and easy to use | Open source and community driven | BTC, LTC, BCH (SLP tokens), ETH (ERC-20 tokens)... ⭐️
──WebsiteShop  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Telegram  |  Github──
hashtag101

Activity: 419
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 05:15:44 AM

I don't think there will be a problem at all.

I appreciate TPTB observations, but I think CFB has got this.

Microsoft seems to agree as well.
stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 01:04:05 PM

First "coin" without a blockchain...linden dollars?

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: