Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:38:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fing Car wont start  (Read 1647 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 02:40:48 AM

I think my battery is totally dead,I called a cab to get a boost, it didn't work, he also tried hooking up a battery pack, we could see that the battery was "very low" 10 mins with the battery pack on and it seemed as if the car had more life, but still didn't want to turn the engine.

Angry damn this crazy cold weather!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MooC Tals

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 02:49:04 AM

After battery replacements
check for parasitic loads.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 02:55:01 AM

Normally in this situation one would purchase another battery!

Also, if you don't drive for extended periods of time, I highly recommend this product to keep your battery healthy.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358995387&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+tender

It died on me a few weeks ago, but a boost worked so i just forgot about it... not smart!
and I can't change this battery myself. its very well hidden and would need to lift the car to change it, so i'll have to call a towing and go to the garage tomorrow.

I work from home, so often I wont drive it for a day or 2, (I didn't drive it all day yesterday and today)
"Battery-Tender" this seems like a good product, but once i have a barn new battery i should be ok no?

Thursday

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 02:56:29 AM

A battery is the best place to start troubleshooting especially when it's cold, but don't get fixated on it.  If it's just a dead battery you should be able to jump it with another car. Make sure all your connections are clean and tight.  Do you have access to a multi-meter?

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 03:08:51 AM

A battery is the best place to start troubleshooting especially when it's cold, but don't get fixated on it.  If it's just a dead battery you should be able to jump it with another car. Make sure all your connections are clean and tight.  Do you have access to a multi-meter?

I guess my gas line could be frozen?

but this battery has been acting up, and the booster pack the taxi had showed the status of my battery was "very week", keeping it on for 10mins seemed to help but still was unable to turn the engine.

i turn the key and all i hear is "click click click"

i asked a neighbor to boost me b4 i called the taxi, and it got as far as "click click half a turn click click click", and after that it was "click click... click click", i figured a taxi's battery and heavy duty cables would do it...

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 03:10:26 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2013, 03:23:00 AM by adamstgBit

Also, if you don't drive for extended periods of time, I highly recommend this product to keep your battery healthy.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358995387&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+tender

It died on me a few weeks ago, but a boost worked so i just forgot about it... not smart!
and I can't change this battery myself. its very well hidden and would need to lift the car to change it, so i'll have to call a towing and go to the garage tomorrow.

I work from home, so often I wont drive it for a day or 2, (I didn't drive it all day yesterday)
"Battery-Tender" this seems like a good product, but once i have a barn new battery i should be ok no?

Yeah you should have replaced it ASAP! What kind of car do you drive that requires a garage to replace the battery?

You won't need a battery tender if you drive it every couple days, this is for vehicles that sit for a month or more. You'll be fine with a new battery.

Chrysler PT Cruiser

goggling!
Unlike most vehicles, the PT cruiser battery is hidden underneath the air intake cover. However, a dead battery in a PT cruiser must be replaced. In order to remove the battery, the air filter case must be removed. The process is simple and can be done within 10 to 15 minutes.

seems i could do it my self! gr8, it looked very well hidden ( and it is ) but looks like i can change it myself.

should be a fun project for tomorrow  Tongue

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 03:15:08 AM

Happened to me once and it was due to loose battery pole. It was making click click ... Make sure they are rust free and very tight.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 03:20:17 AM

Adam,

Is your car a manual or automatic? And yes, batteries don't do well in the winter time.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 03:22:40 AM

Adam,

Is your car a manual or automatic? And yes, batteries don't do well in the winter time.

automatic

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 03:23:39 AM

I work from home, so often I wont drive it for a day or 2, (I didn't drive it all day yesterday)

Yeah you should have replaced it ASAP! What kind of car do you drive that requires a garage to replace the battery?

You won't need a battery tender if you drive it every couple days, this is for vehicles that sit for a month or more. You'll be fine with a new battery.

Chrysler PT Cruiser

Dude, save your money and do it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPB4Rlik1UE

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2007_Chrysler_PT_Cruiser_Limited_2.4L_4_Cyl./battery/replace_battery

youtube why didn't i think of that

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 03:35:58 AM

Adam,

automatic

Pop starting would have been a temporary fix anyway. Although it might have been useful to get to the auto parts store!

damn that's right eh... next time I'll buy a manual, more control!

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 03:39:43 AM

Adam,

automatic

Pop starting would have been a temporary fix anyway. Although it might have been useful to get to the auto parts store!

It might not work anyway. I tried "pop starting" my bike last month when the battery died in the cold and the bike would just slide on the ice.  Wink

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 03:54:29 AM

D&T troubleshooting guide.

The battery turns the starter.  If there was an issue with gas line, or fuel injectors, or flux capacitor the battery would still turn the starter.  It would turn the starter quickly and promptly but the car wouldn't start.

"click click click" or "wrug, wrug, wrug" or hearing starter turn but slower than you normally remember it, or gauges doing "weird crap" when trying to start, or "nothing" = electrical most likely battery but it could be any component in the electrical system (to include starter motor)  Make sense?  Frozen gas line or other problems wouldn't prevent the battery from powering the starter motor.   See you narrowed it down from the "entire car" down to the electrical system (80%+ potential problems eliminated).

Most likely (90%) you have one or more dead cells in the battery.  It isn't just drained it is "BROKE".  Replace the battery.  The auto parts store will be able to get you the exact size you need.  If you plan on keeping the car more than three years pay a little more for a better battery (store will give you two or three options).  Get a brush to clean the terminals and some corrosion resistant pads (auto parts store will know).  Even if you had to buy a cheap socket set it will still be $50-$100 cheaper than a garage.  Note: save your reciept and bring the dead battery to the store.  There will be a "core charge" which is refundable when you turn in  the "broke" battery.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 04:10:19 AM

D&T troubleshooting guide.

The battery turns the starter.  If there was an issue with gas line, or fuel injectors, or flux capacitor the battery would still turn the starter.  It would turn the starter quickly and promptly but the car wouldn't start.

"click click click" or "wrug, wrug, wrug" or hearing starter turn but slower than you normally remember it, or gauges doing "weird crap" when trying to start, or "nothing" = electrical most likely battery but it could be any component in the electrical system (to include starter motor)  Make sense?  Frozen gas line or other problems wouldn't prevent the battery from powering the starter motor.   See you narrowed it down from the "entire car" down to the electrical system (80%+ potential problems eliminated).

Most likely (90%) you have one or more dead cells in the battery.  It isn't just drained it is "BROKE".  Replace the battery.  The auto parts store will be able to get you the exact size you need.  If you plan on keeping the car more than three years pay a little more for a better battery (store will give you two or three options).  Get a brush to clean the terminals and some corrosion resistant pads (auto parts store will know).  Even if you had to buy a cheap socket set it will still be $50-$100 cheaper than a garage.  Note: save your reciept and bring the dead battery to the store.  There will be a "core charge" which is refundable when you turn in  the "broke" battery.

when i put in the new battery it wont be charged?

well that sucks... so i will need a towing no matter what?

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Mining hardware dev and reviewer.

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 04:48:08 AM

It's good that you have only one battery to take care of. I have to service 2 batteries in my hybrid car.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/other-honda-hybrids-discussion/21974-grid-charging-balancing-honda-accord-hybrid-2.html

Looking to review Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 06:59:58 AM

I think my battery is totally dead,I called a cab to get a boost, it didn't work, he also tried hooking up a battery pack, we could see that the battery was "very low" 10 mins with the battery pack on and it seemed as if the car had more life, but still didn't want to turn the engine.

Angry damn this crazy cold weather!

Going through withdraws of no longer hitting little children, Adam resorts to beating up defenseless cars. Film at 11.  Grin
Thursday

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 07:24:37 AM

Does your car need to be moved immediately or can you take the battery in to an auto store and have it tested for free?   You should have your battery tested to find out if it's ruined or not, no sense in buying a new battery if it just needs a charge.  I think it's 50/50 on the problem being either your battery being ruined or just a poor connection.  Don't under estimate a bad connection.  Just because you have two cables coming of your battery doesn't mean everything is fine, they need to be tight!  Grab your cables (your car battery can't shock you) and try to firmly wiggle them.  You shouldn't be able to wiggle them around on the terminal posts of the battery at all.  Also any obvious signs of corrosion will loosen your connection.  

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 12:46:51 PM

Adam,

automatic

damn that's right eh... next time I'll buy a manual, more control!

Manuals are for single guys with sports cars. You better stick with the auto family man. The kind of control you need is an extra hand to block projectiles flung from the back seat!  Grin

At least wait until the kids are out of the house and you are in a mid life crisis to buy the manual. Maybe your bitcoins will allow you to buy something really nice by then!
Lol americans and their automatics
If you come in europe it's a tragedy then, every car here is manual  Smiley And no, i am not joking.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 06:00:16 PM

Its working again, I did it!   Grin
remove air intake thing, replace battery, put all back together.
wasn't to difficult, but i it was a bitch cuz it was so cold outside.
I must of saved 150$, doing it myself.
Thanks for the youtube video link!

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 06:25:05 PM

Its working again, I did it!   Grin
remove air intake thing, replace battery, put all back together.
wasn't to difficult, but i it was a bitch cuz it was so cold outside.
I must of saved 150$, doing it myself.
Thanks for the youtube video link!

Good job. I was a bit shocked that you though you needed a lift or even a garage to replace a battery. I though you might be driving some exotic Canadian car that I didn't know about!

Ya i couldn't see the battery, they hid it well... i figured they did this to force people to go see a mechanic when the battery dies... In your face Chrysler! Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: