Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:42:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin for transatlantic flights - safe?  (Read 993 times)
xhomerx10 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7992

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 12:17:16 AM

I've looked at btctrip.com and cheapair.com for flights from North America to Europe but I don't get a good feeling about using them.
I mean btctrip.com has a testimonial from Satoshi - now this may be tongue in cheek but it doesn't do much for my confidence transacting with them; it reeks of scam when I see "testimonials".  Also, I have read some bad reviews about customer service from cheapair.com but their "testimonial" page oozes unicorns and rainbows.  I would really like to use bitcoin for airfare and not be left in limbo when I get to the airport.  Does anyone have any experience/recommendations in this regard?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Game_Seller

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 02:08:06 AM

I've looked at btctrip.com and cheapair.com for flights from North America to Europe but I don't get a good feeling about using them.
I mean btctrip.com has a testimonial from Satoshi - now this may be tongue in cheek but it doesn't do much for my confidence transacting with them; it reeks of scam when I see "testimonials".  Also, I have read some bad reviews about customer service from cheapair.com but their "testimonial" page oozes unicorns and rainbows.  I would really like to use bitcoin for airfare and not be left in limbo when I get to the airport.  Does anyone have any experience/recommendations in this regard?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Probably best to keep researching and with flights they should have some kind of phone customer service number to call. Often a voice call can help with legitimacy concerns.
xhomerx10 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 02:30:19 AM

Thanks for the reply.  From what I have already read, cheapair.com has customer service via telephone but there are extremely long waits and people are getting cut off.
What I'm really interested in is hearing from people who have actually used bitcoin to purchase flights to Europe from North America, what company they used and if they were satisfied.
Air LOT (Polish airline) accepts bitcoin now and I will use this if I get no other information as with them I have no worries about getting my tickets.  I prefer to use KLM, Lufthansa, Air France and British Airways(only because Heathrow is a pain-in-the ass airport w.r.t to security delays); in that order but I need a reliable agent that accepts bitcoin.
Zeke2345

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 02:49:43 AM

I like the concept of paying with bitcoin but two things pop up for me. One being that you are connecting a address to you physically. Not a issue for some but defeats the Anon factor.
Second would be explaining bitcoin in a secondary search. "How did you pay for this ticket?"
"Did you purchase this yourself?"..."Whats this bitcoin"!

Less I need to potentially explain the better. If you think its not a big deal, would argue you have never had the arm of the law twisting words.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2016, 03:01:38 AM

https://www.expedia.com/Flights try them.

A guy was telling about some days back that he booked his vacation through them and they use coinbase to accept Bitcoins and with them you can at-least book with confidence.

xhomerx10 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 04:08:12 AM

I like the concept of paying with bitcoin but two things pop up for me. One being that you are connecting a address to you physically. Not a issue for some but defeats the Anon factor.
Second would be explaining bitcoin in a secondary search. "How did you pay for this ticket?"
"Did you purchase this yourself?"..."Whats this bitcoin"!

Less I need to potentially explain the better. If you think its not a big deal, would argue you have never had the arm of the law twisting words.

Thanks.  You bring up some interesting points.  Anonymity isn't a major concern of mine; I'm of the opinion that few really care who I am anyway (although I have avoided using Facebook, Twitter etc. since I do enjoy a modicum of privacy).  I haven't had to go through a secondary search or even deal with the arm of the law other than a for a couple of minor traffic infractions so I'm inexperienced on that front. 
xhomerx10 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 04:10:32 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2016, 04:29:40 AM by xhomerx10

https://www.expedia.com/Flights try them.

A guy was telling about some days back that he booked his vacation through them and they use coinbase to accept Bitcoins and with them you can at-least book with confidence.

Thank you!  I thought expedia only allowed you to pay for hotels with bitcoin; I will have another look at them.  They certainly seem to be trustworthy enough.

Edit:  In terms of airline ticket purchases, Expedia acts as an agency, passing on payment information to the majority of airliners. Similarly to 'pay-later' hotels, in these cases, Expedia can only accept the payment types accepted by the airline.  So I have to cross Expedia off the list ;(
xhomerx10 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 10:13:17 PM

The topic doesn't really say what I wanted it to say...

What I'm really interested in is hearing from people who have actually used bitcoin to purchase flights to Europe from North America, what company they used and if they were satisfied.  Has anyone here used bitcoins to purchase plane tickets?!
vendetahome

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 12:07:24 PM

i would like to buy plane tickets for bitcoin too, but i wouldn't trust those site,s if they have atleast 1 bad review, i wouldn't buy anything from them

better sell your bitcoins and buy tickets then, atleast you will be 100% safe with that

also i heard that some airports sells tickets for bitcoins now, in future there might be more of airports like this
makingwin1

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 05:23:24 PM

well i wouldn't risk to buy tickets there and would sell bitcoins and buy tickets then, then i would be 100% safe that i will fly where i need to

i heard that some countries airports allready accepts bitcoin, so soon we should buy tickets for bitcoins instantly
xhomerx10 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 06:15:04 PM

Well thanks for the input guys. I really wanted to use Bitcoin but after an exhaustive search, I concluded that I would only be able to use Air Lot.  Once I looked at flight times on our travel dates, I realized that Air Lot flight times were less than ideal (at least for this trip). I ended up purchasing 3 tickets with my American Express card. 
 I guess I'll have to try again next time I'm flying.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: