Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:13:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could deals like this be real and if yes explain the recent big buys and sells?  (Read 2958 times)
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 04:48:38 AM

is it really awful? first of all, most probably what people here said, f.a.k.e. second, these particular rhinos, even if it's real, are already dead long ago. and third, if not for bitcoins, they would have been traded for cash (with more precautions but still).

so I say not awful, we should be prepared, being proponents of pseudo-anonymous internet cash, to witness much worse cases of it being used for illegal activity. much much worse than some dead rhino parts.

i am satoshi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 01:43:56 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2013, 02:15:29 PM by Vandroiy

is it really awful? first of all, most probably what people here said, f.a.k.e. second, these particular rhinos, even if it's real, are already dead long ago. and third, if not for bitcoins, they would have been traded for cash (with more precautions but still).

so I say not awful, we should be prepared, being proponents of pseudo-anonymous internet cash, to witness much worse cases of it being used for illegal activity. much much worse than some dead rhino parts.

I don't think it's safe to just assume it's fake. And rhino horn is more often taken from living rhinos by killing them than just rhino corpses, so someone trading these should feel obliged to provide solid proof he is not connected to such things.

With an approach of "wrong, but not so bad", things become muddy very quickly. A line has to be drawn somewhere. I personally like the approach to draw such a line very clearly, tolerate everything up to it and rigorously fight anything behind it. People deal drugs on a simple open market? Whatever. Employ poor children in their factory? Sounds bad, but I don't know whether they'd be off worse otherwise. But people who break into a national park to kill the beings in it for profit? Those should be stopped, by whatever means necessary. I would recommend a method that ascertains the "loot" is destroyed, so that nobody wins in this game. A drone strike on their vehicles would fulfill these criteria; short-term confinement would not, unless one is certain to catch the offenders in virtually all cases. (The profit margin is just too large. People would continue doing it even with the risk of a little prison time.)

Admittedly, someone "just" trading is not technically proven to be involved. It could be horn from a rhino that died of natural causes or whatever, even if that's very unlikely. I'd still avoid such people -- and anyone who deals with them -- like the plague, and demand more information on WTF is going on.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 02:48:36 PM

Resolving the Tragedy of the Commons by Creating Private Property Rights in Wildlife
http://cei.org/studies-other-studies/resolving-tragedy-commons-creating-private-property-rights-wildlife

This. I would farm so many rhinos there would be more of them than cows.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:15:56 PM

Absolutely repulsive.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:36:18 PM

I'm going to show black rhinos how to hire a hit man on BMR!  Angry

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 09:07:22 PM

Resolving the Tragedy of the Commons by Creating Private Property Rights in Wildlife
http://cei.org/studies-other-studies/resolving-tragedy-commons-creating-private-property-rights-wildlife

This. I would farm so many rhinos there would be more of them than cows.

It's somewhat counterintuitive, but Texas is actually a better home for endangered species than Africa. Plus, it doesn't costs the state a dime. Unlike Africa that can't afford to protect their "sanctuaries." Unfortunately, the "environmentalists" would rather see species go extinct than allow them to be bred and hunted.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57448441/can-hunting-endangered-animals-save-the-species/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: