Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:22:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I forgot my identifier on BlockChain and can't access my bitcoins.  (Read 3569 times)
blackbetty (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 03:48:08 AM

I was a dum-dum and forgot to record my identifier to get access to my recently created BlockChain account.

I transferred a substantial amount of bitcoins to the account, so that's why I'm desperate. I tried contacting support but haven't received a reply. I have the password, the bitcoin address, but that's it; no identifier, email, or alias.

Does anyone know anything I can do? Any help much appreciated, thanks.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 03:57:33 AM

Did you make a backup of your wallet and have it emailed to you? 
Did you make an alias for looking up the identifier? 

If the answer is no then your coins are likely lost.  There is no mechanism to prove the wallet is yours so (hopefully) blockchain.info will not release that information.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 04:12:13 AM

Just wait for a response.

But your coins are probably lost.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 04:17:17 AM

Depending on how nice the blockchain.info owner is, he might be able to help you.

They have server logs at their server, and based on timestamps and ip's in logs, it should be reasonably possible to determine whether you're telling the truth or not, then, in good faith they may reinstate your account.

For example, if your ip + timestamps matches based on your explanations, as an admin it would be possible to release them. It would also be possible to extract all hashed passwords from the database and run your passwords against all of them to see what is your account. If you have the password, and it's a non-trivial one and there's only one match, then there shouldn't be much doubt that you're the legal owner of the account. Also if the only one that's ever done anything with your account is from the same ip, and this is your ip, then there should be little reason to not believe what you says.

If you also can prove that you sent the coins, for instance from mtGox, or got them from someone else, for instance an otc-trade, this information is in the blockchain itself, and you could point to that along with all the other evidence, and frankly, if I was the admin, I would be willing to work with you in this case.

Personally if I were the admin of the site, I would ask for your identification papers, and perhaps also keep the funds for 30 days just in case, but if you present your case reasonably and the admin is willing to do some work, it should be possible to restore your balance. It depends solely on the goodwill of the admin though.

If you offer the admin 10% of the balance or another reasonable amount, they may be more willing to work with you (unless of course they think it's a better option to keep it all...).

Keep us updated, and best of luck!
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2013, 04:16:13 PM

Please PM me. 95% of the time we are able to find forgotten identifiers.

blackbetty (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 09:01:19 PM

piuk,

I sent you a pm with all the information,

Thanks.
blackbetty (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 02:20:49 AM

thank you so much for helping me
Timer

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:02:19 PM

You guys should make a warning or a note that tells you to save your identifier somewhere after registering.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:10:12 PM

You guys should make a warning or a note that tells you to save your identifier somewhere after registering.

you mean like this:

Quote from: blockchain.info
Don't Forget Your Password!
WARNING: Forgotten passwords are UNRECOVERABLE and will results in LOSS of ALL of your bitcoins!

i guess that note could be updated to include FORGOTTEN IDENTIFIERS as well as passwords.
Herodes

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:15:23 PM

blackbetty:

Sincerely glad you managed to have this case solved. Sometimes errors are made, and having upstanding community members that stand up to the task and solve the issue at hand, that's great.
polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 08:25:07 PM

Now that is awesome!

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
pwrgeek

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 11:31:25 PM

Now that is awesome!

Or not if you are into anonymity.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 01:16:59 AM

Now that is awesome!
The fact that a random string of letters and numbers that someone chooses to call a "Wallet Identifier" can be tied to another random string of letters and numbers that someone chooses to call a "Bitcoin Address", in no way indicates that any of that can be connected to your identity.
Herodes

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:45:16 AM

Now that is awesome!

Could you please elaborate on this ? You never made a mistake in your life, and never needed the help of others to sort out the mistake ?
polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 01:31:01 PM

Now that is awesome!
The fact that a random string of letters and numbers that someone chooses to call a "Wallet Identifier" can be tied to another random string of letters and numbers that someone chooses to call a "Bitcoin Address", in no way indicates that any of that can be connected to your identity.

^^ what they said.. I'm not sure how anyone's identity was compromised...

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
malanee

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:01:42 PM

[/quote

I'm PMing you too
Modo

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 10:53:23 PM

Hey piuk I have this same issue. I can;t pm you.. i added you on skype.
imdodtupid

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:57:34 AM

Hi I also have the same issue. I recently made a wallet and forgot to write down the identifier because im so stupid!

I have the bitcoin adress and password and time when I made the wallet, I also have the ip adress but am unsure if its the correct one because I was using tor browser and may have changed ip from when I made the wallet.

This account is new and I cant pm you Piuk, but will add you on skype and if you want I can write the info I have in this thread. Just reply here if you want me to do that.

I sent about 0.0.1745 bitcoins to the wallet just after I made it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: