Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:07:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Development update  (Read 1299 times)
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2013, 11:19:39 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2013, 03:20:56 PM by jim618

I just wanted to give an update on MultiBit (and related) development.
There are a few things in the works that should will hopefully get rolled into MultiBit over the next few weeks/ month or so.

A bit of background: Typically work is done in test code first and then once it becomes more solid, gets released. Test code is typically called 'snapshot' code. I don't mind the test MultiBit code using snapshots but avoid it for the production code. (Snapshots tend to have younger, buggier code and change more frequently).

Encrypted wallet work.
This week I have reworked the MultiBit/ bitcoinj encrypted wallet code and it is now on review:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/bitcoinj/4JdNtFFtBEM

There have been a couple of backwards compatible changes to the wallet format but most of the work has been in making it cleaner with more tests. After review (and I encorporate any feedback) hopefully it will get into the bitcoinj SNAPSHOT code.
I will then produce another test MultiBit for people to try out.
Once a version of bitcoinj with this code in is released then I will produce a release candidate of MultiBit using it. This can go on general test for a week.   Assuming that is ok then the code will get issued as the production code on the website. The 0.4.x MultiBits can then be retired and go to bit-heaven.

The review is open to anyone but previously Mike, Miron Cuperman (bitcoinj) and Andreas Schildbach (Android Bitcoin Wallet) were the commenters. Mike is a bit snowed under at the moment with updates relating to the zero-confirmation vulnerability described by Retep a couple of weeks ago so realistically there will probably be a delay in getting this into bitcoinj.

XChange 1.4.0 - More currency exchanges
Tim Molter is close to releasing XChange 1.4.0. I use XChange for the currency ticker. The new version has support for half a dozen+ exchanges and I plan to work on incorporating this into MultiBit next week.
This will give a LOT more currencies to choose from as your fiat currency.   The XChange thread is here.

Signing and verifying messages is now in bitcoinj 0.7-SNAPSHOT
I noticed this week that signing and verifying of messages has gone into the bitcoinj 0.7-SNAPSHOT code. Ben (blockchain.info) offered a bounty for it and Mike picked it up.
This means I will be able to create 'Sign Message' and 'Verify Message' tabs in MultiBit. I'll probably just clone the bitcoin-QT UIs (more or less). This is on my TODO list rather than planned to be done soon.

Bloom filters now being tested
Bloom filters are a technique that speed up network sync by reducing the amount of data coming back from the bitcoinds. This is currently being tested in real life by Andreas, Mike and Matt Corralo. It requires changes to both bitcoinj and the bitcoind server. I am hoping the bitcoind changes will get into bitcoind v0.8, then the bitcoinj changes can make use of it. Then I can start using it in MultiBit.
This will be a little while yet but should give a good boost to sync speed.

TL;DR Lots of useful stuff going on at the moment.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: