Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:20:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peeple: The App From Hell?  (Read 2712 times)
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 12:03:07 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 03:37:42 PM by MakingMoneyHoney

I laughed a bit
All the death threats the app creator decides to launch it a month earlier to spite them or I guess rate them but they backed down.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/06/peeple-ratings-app-removes-contentious-features-boring

Thanks for the link. Smiley

"....But according to a posting on LinkedIn from the app’s developer, a former recruitment executive named Julia Cordray, the app that hit stores might be less controversial than what was previously announced: “You will NOT be on our platform without your explicit permission. There is no 48-hour waiting period to remove negative comments. There is no way to even make negative comments. Simply stated, if you don’t explicitly say ‘approve recommendation’, it will not be visible on our platform.”

The new direction leaves the app having more in common with purely positive ranking apps such as Klout and LinkedIn itself."
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 03:22:48 PM

I laughed a bit
All the death threats the app creator decides to launch it a month earlier to spite them or I guess rate them but they backed down.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/06/peeple-ratings-app-removes-contentious-features-boring

Peeple, the controversial app that promised to let users “review” other people and give them a rating out of five, has softened its offering just weeks before its planned launch.

The company had previously scheduled the launch of the new social app, dubbed “Yelp for people”, for November this year. Revealed in early October, the app promised users the ability to “revolutionise the way we’re seen in the world through our relationships”.

Users could assign a star rating and feedback to anyone they knew, positive or negative, and the ratee could do very little about it. Every negative review would have been live for at least 48 hours, and in order to remove them, an individual would be encouraged to contest a negative review, leading to accusations that the app would become a libellous quagmire and a harasser’s dream.

Following the criticism, Peeple’s website and social media feeds were blanked out, leading to speculation that the app was never going to see the light of day – or even that the whole thing was a hoax. But instead, it looks like it’s still on-track to launch, even earlier than expected: the new website gives a date of 12 October for the app’s release.

But according to a posting on LinkedIn from the app’s developer, a former recruitment executive named Julia Cordray, the app that hit stores might be less controversial than what was previously announced: “You will NOT be on our platform without your explicit permission. There is no 48-hour waiting period to remove negative comments. There is no way to even make negative comments. Simply stated, if you don’t explicitly say ‘approve recommendation’, it will not be visible on our platform.”

The new direction leaves the app having more in common with purely positive ranking apps such as Klout and LinkedIn itself.

---------------------------------
Then this app has lost its uniqueness and became another wannabe...

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 12:12:26 AM

---------------------------------
Then this app has lost its uniqueness and became another wannabe...

In other words it got Trumped  Wink
I had to throw in a Republican jab since Trump just sounds like the ideal name for it, but it would make for good branding.
Rate and review your network and tell people Your Fired because its those Peeple: The app of the 1%

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/canadian-creator-revamping-controversial-human-rating-app-peeple-1.2598989
The only information on the Peeple website, as of Wednesday morning, is an Oct. 12 release date and the option to join a waiting list for the app.
That will be fun.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
traderbit

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2015, 06:54:17 AM

overall this is a terrible idea, huge potential negative it could have on innocent people

Djisamsoe

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 07:44:30 AM

how about microsoft? they will ban too?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 03:15:49 PM

How about Microsoft? Microsoft scandal: maybe having a built in spy network in the OS. Not a built in teenage suicide machine like peeple.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 07:41:11 AM

How about Microsoft? Microsoft scandal: maybe having a built in spy network in the OS. Not a built in teenage suicide machine like peeple.

I can see it now, Microsoft Peeple rate your friends in a variety of social situations leave reviews oh wait msn pages.
That said a spy network OS that reviews people would be an interesting Windows 10 feature.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 01:36:38 PM

That said a spy network OS that reviews people would be an interesting Windows 10 feature.

That's already in progress. The powers that be are the ones who see the information though, not us.
fkvidar

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:36:53 PM

People are getting meaner and dumber, anyone else noticing this? I would never use it
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 08:45:08 PM

Really peeple is just giving form to the voice that's constantly going on in my head when I'm out in public. I walk down the street and look at all the people I pass by
I'm like; "asshat, dweeb, jerkoff, moron... Hang on a sec, she's alright... Loser, homo, idiot "etc
Like that. All day.

These guys just turned it into an app

I'll totally download it for sure
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:14:28 AM

Really peeple is just giving form to the voice that's constantly going on in my head when I'm out in public. I walk down the street and look at all the people I pass by
I'm like; "asshat, dweeb, jerkoff, moron... Hang on a sec, she's alright... Loser, homo, idiot "etc
Like that. All day.

These guys just turned it into an app

I'll totally download it for sure

Peeple, the notorious "Yelp for people" app, arrives

It generated controversy and criticism when word of it first broke back in October, even though Peeple, a people-rating mobile app that's been described as like "Yelp for people," hadn't launched yet. Now, after a number of tweaks to the concept, the people-rating app finally launched today.

Peeple is available to download for free for iPhones or iPads. The app -- which is not affiliated with the popular review site Yelp -- was created by two friends in Calgary, Canada, and allows users to rate other users in three categories: personal, professional, and romantic.

The idea is to provide "a reference check for the people around us," the creators say on their website. "The Peeple app allows you to better choose who you hire, do business with, date, become your neighbours, roommates, landlords/tenants, and watch, teach, and care for your children."

However, the idea of people posting "reviews" of their neighbors, coworkers, dates and others prompted outrage from critics who saw its potential for abuse as an outlet for bullying or cyber revenge. It became a hot topic on social media, where the prolific tweeter Chrissy Teigen wrote, "In an age where both truth and gossip on the Internet can literally ruin lives, this #peeple app is horrible AND scary."

Perhaps in response to that round of criticism last fall, the Peeple app going public today will not allow users to rate others without their permission. Reviews will only be published with the consent of the person being reviewed. A user can also hide his or her negative reviews. In addition, users must post under their real names, to help encourage civility and accountability.

That being said, a planned future paid subscription option -- the "truth license," co-creator Julia Cordray told the Calgary Herald -- will allow users to access every review, even those that are hidden.

Obviously, this future feature will generate plenty of controversy on its own, but for now, the Peeple that is out now is much tamer than what was originally planned. The "truth license" is being planned for an April release, Cordray said.

"If a mom wants to look up a coach for her kids, she can see all the amazing things on that person's profile, but maybe there's some areas of improvement for that person," Cordray told the newspaper. "So, when the mom upgrades to the truth license, she'll be able to see all the recommendations on the back-end that the coach never published in their profile."

On its website, Peeple stresses that it does not want to be used as a platform for attacking others. "We do not tolerate profanity, bullying ... name calling, degrading comments, abuse, derogatory comments, sexual references, racism, legal references, hateful content, sexism, and other parameters" the company says.

Even with adjustments to the current version of the app, social media users have been showing some skepticism.

On the official Peeple Facebook page, one commenter wrote: "When character becomes currency, humanity suffers. We are not metrics, and you cannot ethically justify ranking humans against normative social ideals. We are #PeopleNotPeeple."

For its part, Peeple responded: "You can share the recommendations you receive to build your online reputation in social media. That's what we mean by Character becomes currency for you. We are not ranking people you write recommendations about them. Try the app to see what it really is about."

Peeple is available through iTunes today, while an Android version is on its way.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/peeple-the-yelp-for-people-app-launches/

----------------------------------
Let's destroy some lives...

Sad

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: