Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:55:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Price will shoot up much higher if....  (Read 2186 times)
Oldsport (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 10:38:36 PM

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/videos/bitcoin-the-new-way-to-pay/

This continues to happen  Cheesy

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 10:50:06 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2013, 12:18:51 AM by Akka

Nice one, short and informative enough to get you curious for more.

And I noticed only two mistakes in it:

1. I don't think there are a million bitcoin users. From the Data available I would put it between 50.000 - 100.000

2. Bitcoin has never been hacked.

Edit: Just realized I could only watch half of the video, it was the better half  Sad

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 10:50:48 PM

Or not.  

I think the scammy, greasy used car salesman that is Bruce Wagner is probably the worst possible publicity for Bitcoin.  For example Bruce's claim that there are a million users simply can't be proven and all the stats indicate he is off by a least one order of magnitude.

And also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can reporters earn their paychecks and stop making blatantly obvious claims like "Bitcoin has been hacked".  It would be like saying because a 7-11 got robbed the US dollar has been "hacked".
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 10:56:36 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2013, 11:41:25 PM by Akka

And also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can reporters earn their paychecks and stop making blatantly obvious claims like "Bitcoin has been hacked".  It would be like saying because a 7-11 got robbed the US dollar has been "hacked".

Well that's a general misunderstanding of all people with only a very briefly understanding of computers:

Oldsport (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 11:03:15 PM

Or not.  

I think the scammy, greasy used car salesman that is Bruce Wagner is probably the worst possible publicity for Bitcoin.  For example Bruce's claim that there are a million users simply can't be proven and all the stats indicate he is off by a least one order of magnitude.

I'm not familiar with the character in the video however I am familiar with national geographic, this video was on T.V... yes maybe Bruce Wagner may not be the best representative but I don't feel that's that large of an issue. It's triggering interest and even if it's a skeptical interest it's an interest isn't it? If anything I can say it's better to be a skeptic as that appeals to a wider audience of people. "Bitcoin? Please, what a laughable idea.  I better do some research, though and figure out why 1 million people are interested in something so silly. For entertainment reasons of course..." Then BOOM we get the torch, and use that interest and mold it into something respectable.

Oldsport (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 11:07:41 PM

When did this come out? Just now?

October 25th, 2012, I think it aired recently though.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2013, 11:19:51 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2013, 12:12:56 AM by paraipan

I don't get to see the whole video  Undecided  Loading issues half way through (1:02)

Edit: Seeing bitcoin is reported in so many places is quite nice.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 11:20:11 PM

When did this come out? Just now?

October 25th, 2012, I think it aired recently though.
It's been aired in the UK apparently too.  I had a great experience the other day of talking to someone at a party about Bitcoin and two others within earshot came to join in the conversation because they'd heard about it too.  One of them mentioned this programme and his impression was that someone had bought a house with it!  Not only should Wagner have not made up a vastly exaggerated figure for user numbers he should also have not let the 'houses' thing go.  Something like 'yes, in principle but it's early days yet for transactions that big to be commonplace' would have done.  

It's all very well that big impressive figures and impressions bring in interest but people who consequently do a little research and find its use and distribution is not what they'd been led to believe will from day 2 at some level get the impression that people to do with Bitcoin are not entirely honest.
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3649
Merit: 1412

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 11:33:47 PM

... not entirely honest.
Grin
Do a little research here (on this forum) about Bruce Wagner, he's the worst person on this planet to speak to about Bitcoin.
That's like talking to pirate, or the Intersango-Gang, but worse.

Akka
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 11:41:06 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2013, 12:01:47 AM by Akka

Can someone give or point me to a summary about this Bruce Wagner.

Forum search actually give to many results, would take days to read all this.

15 Pages Results for "Bruce Wagner".

Edit: Thanks, adamstgBit. My curiosity is satisfied.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2013, 11:52:58 PM

Bruce Wagner has a criminal record for some scam he was a part of. ( not bitcoin related, this is years ago )
Bruce Wagner was host of the bitcoin show
he told everyone to put their bitcoins in mybitcoin.com
mybitcoin.com leaves with everyone's funds including Bruce Wagner's
I post a bounty for mybitcoin's owner to be found and put to justice, people commit bitcoins left and right to this bounty.
mybitcoin comes back and refunds everyone half their bitcoins.
Bruce Wagner appears to be really high on cocaine when making his bitcoin videos (must of hit the silk road...)

there's not much more to tell.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 11:54:11 PM

Can someone give or point me to a summary about this Bruce Wagner.

Forum search actually give to many results, would take days to read all this.

15 Pages Results for "Bruce Wagner".

Oh god, where do we begin...

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 11:57:05 PM

Bitcointalk is a fickle forum full of scammers. Some they will throw money at, others will be drawn and quartered. Bruce Wagner was someone that had a history before Bitcoin and because he did not disclose it, he was ostracized by bitcoiners. What he did to promote Bitcoin was arguably more than anyone else since.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 12:02:38 AM

National geographic talking about it is a big thing. I don't really care about most of the mistakes (it is not that revelant to most people whether there are 100k or 1M users and whether or not a transaction for a house has actually taken place).

The fact that so many sources keep on claiming that Bitcoin has been hacked shows that they all lack basic understanding of the system itself. I made a comment trying to explain this.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 12:11:49 AM

I don't get to see the whole video  Undecided  Loading issues half way through it (1:02)

Same thing here. You can see it here though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9V7V5c-UGY
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 04:40:50 AM

I had a facepalm moment when I saw this ~5 months ago.

I though you were trolling, Welcome to bitcointalk.com
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 06:20:38 AM

I don't get to see the whole video  Undecided  Loading issues half way through it (1:02)

Same thing here. You can see it here though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9V7V5c-UGY

thanks for the link. I had issues watching it on the original website too.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 06:57:12 AM

Nice of them to interview the guy who lost his wallet.dat with ~BTC15k in it.  Roll Eyes

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 10:07:16 AM

Bruce Wagner represents a symbol of the kind of attitude present in this community. A modern shit preacher.
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

Your Minion

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 10:33:26 AM

Nice of them to interview the guy who lost his wallet.dat with ~BTC15k in it.  Roll Eyes

Isn't there a bounty? Send your minions!

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: