Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:20:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet transaction.  (Read 475 times)
Andynerd (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 12:51:08 AM

Thanks to the wonderful idea from DeathandTaxes I was interested in an how transactions are placed in the blockchain. From my understanding :

1. The wallet generates an address.
2. The person who wishes to send you money send the transaction to your address, then saves that to the global blockchain
3. The wallet holder's wallet compares the blockchain every once and a while and if the transaction is on it (and verified by 6 other systems) it accepts the transaction and modifies the wallet accordingly.
4. The blockchain is modified to show that the transaction was completed.

This is what I've come to understand from lurking around Bitcoin wiki. I just kind of wanted to have it clarified. I have the feeling I'm off on something, maybe the whole thing, this is just kind of my guess at it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 01:06:20 AM

Correct.

2. The person who wishes to send you money send the transaction to your address, then saves that to the global blockchain

No quite right - they create a tx that assigns the ownership of "unspent output scripts" (i.e. their BTC holdings) to your address (which will require your "private key" in order to themselves be assigned should you wish to "spend" your BTC holdings at a later stage).

The tx is then "broadcast" to the P2P network (not *saved* in the blockchain). Eventually this tx (along with generally many others) will be included in a "newly mined block" which is effectively appended to the blockchain (so you could think of this part as *saving it to the blockchain* if you like).

3. The wallet holder's wallet compares the blockchain every once and a while and if the transaction is on it (and verified by 6 other systems) it accepts the transaction and modifies the wallet accordingly.

The "confirmations" is simply the length of the chain of blocks that include your tx starting with the initial one it appeared in (so if your tx was in block #218212) then it would currently have 1 confirmation and assuming the block doesn't get "orphaned" (there's a whole lot more to know about that) then when the current block # is 218218 your tx will now have 6 confirmations (nothing to do with "other systems" just "more blocks").

No - the blockchain is never modified at all.

HTH

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Andynerd (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 01:07:45 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2013, 01:25:36 AM by Andynerd

Perfect thank you this is exactly what I wanted to know. That was great help Cheesy!  You've actually just answered a whole bunch of things for me as well.

I just found the address creation algorithm wiki page. O_O super freaken secure but it must be a nightmare to program.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_Bitcoin_addresses
maunderingcabal

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Don't dwell in the past, don't dream of the future

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 01:25:36 AM

Correct.

No quite right - they create a tx that assigns the ownership of "unspent output scripts" (i.e. their BTC holdings) to your address (which will require your "private key" in order to themselves be assigned should you wish to "spend" your BTC holdings at a later stage).

The tx is then "broadcast" to the P2P network (not *saved* in the blockchain). Eventually this tx (along with generally many others) will be included in a "newly mined block" which is effectively appended to the blockchain (so you could think of this part as *saving it to the blockchain* if you like).

The "confirmations" is simply the length of the chain of blocks that include your tx starting with the initial one it appeared in (so if your tx was in block #218212) then it would currently have 1 confirmation and assuming the block doesn't get "orphaned" (there's a whole lot more to know about that) then when the current block # is 218218 your tx will now have 6 confirmations (nothing to do with "other systems" just "more blocks").

No - the blockchain is never modified at all.

HTH

Thanks, this cleared up some things for me as well.

You like my post? Buy me a beer for ฿0.01
13KKQYQLmDFaTtcoPDtnt3My1PPUdcc8AL
My website/blog/bitcoin store
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: