Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:14:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the advantage of other cryptocurrencies?  (Read 2227 times)
Bitconian (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 12:36:34 AM

Hi,

I've still kind of new in this digital currency world. I just discovered Bitcoin and now I found many other cryptocurrencies.

My questions are....

*. Is it worth it to mine in other currencies besides bitcoins?
      *. Wouldn't be better if we only use only 1 instead of 8?
      *. Does it (having other currencies) weaken bitcoins?

I do respect other currencies and their followers, it's just I don't understand this "new world" yet.  

May anybody tell me the advantage?

Thanks!!  Smiley

You can make me smile Smiley
1GEUEBTm6XfRuqAswrR6LbofnMq6VN5A5P

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 12:43:20 AM

There really isn't any advantage.  They all are of dubious value.

They don't really "hurt" Bitcoin anymore than someone making dirt coins reduces the value of gold.  You can't prevent others from producing alternatives so live and let live.
Bitconian (OP)

Activity: 101

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 12:46:08 AM

You can't prevent others from producing alternatives so live and let live.

Of course! I was just curious about how other currencies may or not affect bitcoins.

You can make me smile Smiley
1GEUEBTm6XfRuqAswrR6LbofnMq6VN5A5P
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 12:46:50 AM

They don't really "hurt" Bitcoin anymore than someone making dirt coins reduces the value of gold.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 01:18:19 AM

Except that the cryptocurrency microcosm at the moment is a finite relatively small number of people and generally when people choose an altchain they are doing it at the expense of supporting the bitcoin ecosystem (on whatever level you consider them "supporting" it).

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 09:19:51 AM

Except that the cryptocurrency microcosm at the moment is a finite relatively small number of people and generally when people choose an altchain they are doing it at the expense of supporting the bitcoin ecosystem (on whatever level you consider them "supporting" it).

Oh, I disagree with that. I don't think supporters of alt-coins are brain-sinks for bitcoin. Bitcoin at this point is largely becoming professionalized. You see this with the number of large players in the market and growing outside-of-the-community investment it is receiving. This argument might have still been accurate a year ago, but I don't think it's true now. Bitcoin is reaching critical mass  and it's largely now self propelling. What the alt-coin crowd is doing doesn't serve to hurt/hinder bitcoin in anyway.

The alt-coin community is more of a sandbox for newer cryptocommunity members. I would wager there is a large number of novice's here and that's quite fine.

The advantage of the alt-coins is that the rules are still not yet set in stone- nor is the pecking order of seniority. New ideas can flourish regardless of how crazy they may seem.

Do alt coins weaken Bitcoin? I would rephrase that and ask- does Iceland having it's own currency weaken the US Dollar? Wouldn't it be better if we just all used the Euro?

If your new here, welcome! By all means pick yourself up some bitcoin, but if you'd like to experiment and have fun and maybe build another currency from scratch, please enjoy yourself here in Alt-coins as well. I personally recommend checking out TRC- Its like "Baby Bitcoin". :-)

more or less retired.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 09:34:47 AM

D&T is entitled to his "dirt coin" outlook on things. Just don't know why he makes an effort to post here if he truly believes what he says.

That aside, the alt chains have given good insight into different ideas of block times and tested some interesting ideas.

Those religious bitcoin evangelists that think bitcoin should be the only cryptocurrency can think again.Tthat would be the equivalent of a 1 world currency.

One huge advantage that the alt-chains have over bitcoin is the amount of drama that isn't surrounding it as well as learning from the mistakes of hard-core bitcoin enthusiasts.

In my opinion, I see many of the same mistakes that were made over 1.5 years ago...still being made in the bitcoin community.

But hey we all make mistakes so who am I to judge.

Ultimately it's not what D&T or any other "elitist" bitcoiner says that matters. What does matter is what the FREE MARKET chooses as a medium of exchange. That is what is important.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 08:15:08 PM

One great advantage of altcoins is that they put to rest a common newbie gripe about bitcoins: namely, that the supply of bitcoins is limited.  Most of us think this is a feature, not a flaw, but for those who can't be convinced, we can always point to the unlimited supply of altcoins.  Anybody who wants to go to an alternative currency that generates 50 coins per block forever is welcome to.  Or whatever arrangement they please.  If some day there's only handful of ultra-valuable satoshis left to circulate in the bitcoin chain and people can't work out a way to subdivide them, they can make change with altcoins.  Somebody could even start an altcoin with rules identical to bitcoin specifically for this purpose.  There's no real 21 million limit this way. Smiley

Another great advantage of altcoins is that it takes a lot of work to become technically proficient enough to create an altcoin.  Everybody who does this acquires a valuable skill as a bitcoin developer, even if their altcoin fails, and this increases the skillset available to the entire community.

Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 08:42:32 PM

I like peanut butter but I also like jam.

Bitrated user: Mick.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 08:43:59 PM

One great advantage of altcoins is that they put to rest a common newbie gripe about bitcoins: namely, that the supply of bitcoins is limited.  Most of us think this is a feature, not a flaw, but for those who can't be convinced, we can always point to the unlimited supply of altcoins.  Anybody who wants to go to an alternative currency that generates 50 coins per block forever is welcome to.  Or whatever arrangement they please.  If some day there's only handful of ultra-valuable satoshis left to circulate in the bitcoin chain and people can't work out a way to subdivide them, they can make change with altcoins.  Somebody could even start an altcoin with rules identical to bitcoin specifically for this purpose.  There's no real 21 million limit this way. Smiley

Another great advantage of altcoins is that it takes a lot of work to become technically proficient enough to create an altcoin.  Everybody who does this acquires a valuable skill as a bitcoin developer, even if their altcoin fails, and this increases the skillset available to the entire community.

Well people who do think bitcoin should survive alone and no other alternatives should be allowed are fucked up in the mind.

That is equivalent of trying to saying there can only be one world religion. People will believe what they want to believe. Free markets dont ever choose just one thing. Good example, silver and gold. The free markets chose those TWO things to be Money. That means more than 1 crypto can be accepted as payment.

If people want to transact in soiledcoins I wont tell them otherwise. But I wouldn't given its design. Just to address an example.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

DryPowder

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 04:35:14 AM

Well, you need to analyze the markets and study the fundaments of all Alt. Coins; the most important question that you will ask yourself is WHY ALT. COINS EXIST?  Huh 
I don’t want to make a statement in this topic because I will catch some fire in the process, but the idea here is to diversify and succeed as an Alt. Coin.

Keep Your Powder Dry
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:39:54 AM

Experimentation is a good reason. Bitcoin after all is still an experiment in the idea of Crypto currency. Alt-Coins are experiments in Bitcoin.

more or less retired.
Vitalicus

Activity: 467
Merit: 100

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:49:57 PM

Only 2 altcoin will survive.
LTC - it have a diferent algoritm of hashing: "scrypt"
PPC - algoritm "sha256" (BTC is "double sha256") + proof of stake,

The others alcoin cryptocurrencies are copy of bitcoin Sad

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 02:12:10 PM

They might continue, but I'm not sure what they have ought to be considered a life.

The altcoin that can thrive is probably going to be namecoin, simply because it has fucking uses.

Litecoin was started fairly, but is only asic resistant for people who care about that. PPCoin has had security flaws in its proof of stake before and if it ever becomes worth anything will probably have crippling exploits found.

Meanwhile boring old grandpa namecoin can act as a torrent tracker. Grandpa can translate .onion links.  Namecoin will let you store whatever shit you need in its blockchain like fucking time stamps. Other than the fact that Litecoin is ASIC proof no altchain presents a convincing reason to mime it unless it is merged mineable.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 02:53:41 PM

They might continue, but I'm not sure what they have ought to be considered a life.

The altcoin that can thrive is probably going to be namecoin, simply because it has fucking uses.

Litecoin was started fairly, but is only asic resistant for people who care about that. PPCoin has had security flaws in its proof of stake before and if it ever becomes worth anything will probably have crippling exploits found.

Meanwhile boring old grandpa namecoin can act as a torrent tracker. Grandpa can translate .onion links.  Namecoin will let you store whatever shit you need in its blockchain like fucking time stamps. Other than the fact that Litecoin is ASIC proof no altchain presents a convincing reason to mime it unless it is merged mineable.

Litecoin isn't ASIC proof by any means. It's just is too worthless to bother developing an ASIC for it. Not to mention ASIC's are GOOD for a coin. It means the network is even more secure. You should WANT an ASIC for litecoin, it would make it stronger and more secure.

Alt-coins will always exist. They are people experimenting with Bitcoin. If you want to get rich, you should go do something useful with BTC.

more or less retired.
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 03:45:26 PM

Litecoin isn't ASIC proof by any means. It's just is too worthless to bother developing an ASIC for it. Not to mention ASIC's are GOOD for a coin. It means the network is even more secure. You should WANT an ASIC for litecoin, it would make it stronger and more secure.

Alt-coins will always exist. They are people experimenting with Bitcoin. If you want to get rich, you should go do something useful with BTC.

Alt-coins will always exist.

The way litecoin handles the memory versus processing power trade-off means any litecoin ASIC would be a weird mix of logic circuits and RAM, and even if you try to optomize it for a substantial number of nonces processing power will necessarily beat memory and very slow cycles will happen. This shit is a nightmare if you are an employed engineer and a wet dream if you are a contracting engineer.

I like altcoins, and I think some have very good ideas behind them. I'm pretty sure we both agree that FRC is crap. The big difference between us I  see reading your posts is that you see something magic with TRC that I don't while I'm turning BTC into NMC because NMC are useful.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 04:14:27 PM

Alt-coins will always exist.

The way litecoin handles the memory versus processing power trade-off means any litecoin ASIC would be a weird mix of logic circuits and RAM, and even if you try to optomize it for a substantial number of nonces processing power will necessarily beat memory and very slow cycles will happen. This shit is a nightmare if you are an employed engineer and a wet dream if you are a contracting engineer.

I like altcoins, and I think some have very good ideas behind them. I'm pretty sure we both agree that FRC is crap. The big difference between us I  see reading your posts is that you see something magic with TRC that I don't while I'm turning BTC into NMC because NMC are useful.

+1

(NMC probably really should be the alt-coin that people focus on)

more or less retired.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 05:00:53 PM

Thought question: I played with testnet last night.  Did that come at the expense of supporting the bitcoin ecosystem?

Latines

Activity: 980
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 08, 2019, 03:07:55 PM

It’s better to mine the ethereum classic. Bitcoin is now very unreliable. And if you want to understand all the coins, understand the whole crypto world, then you need to read a lot, no one will be able to describe in the chat everything you need to know.
Suharti12

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 08, 2019, 03:17:26 PM

Of course there are many advantages of Cryptocurrency other than Bitcoin that we can get, for example in Cryptocurrency trading. With so many Cryptocurrency coins besides Bitcoin, there will be many choices and opportunities for us to get profit from trading coins. If you want to mine other coins besides Bitcoin, of course we can also get profits.  But fortunately mining requires large capital.

●          ◯        M O N O P O L Y   M I L L I O N A I R E        ◯          ●
████ ███ ██ █        Diversified Gaming Platform Covering Staking, NFT and Metaverse Games        █ ██ ███ ████
Facebook     |     Twitter     |     Telegram     |     LinkedIn     |     Github     |     Discord     |     Medium     |     Reddit
barnes13

Activity: 1274
Merit: 521

7enius - Your Cryptocurrency Marketing Consultant

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2019, 05:06:17 PM

It depends on the utility of the coin. At present many cryptocurrency is emerging, but most of them are just imitators of existing coins. The utility they offer to users is not attractive either. So, to make sure it's appropriate or not, you need to learn more about the coin first and find out how it works in making solutions in a case. In my opinion, the number of coins that already exist today has no negative impact on Bitcoin. Because Bitcoin has become the main symbol as a pioneer of cryptocurrency. It will still have value, even if I see the current level of bitcoin demand increasing. And there is a possibility that prices will continue to rise along with a limited total supply.
bonyaserg

Activity: 1876
Merit: 5

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 06:22:17 PM

Personally, I think that the most promising coins are Bitcoin and Ethereum. So if you have good investments, you can invest in the future of these coins and you can get excellent profit on the way out. Well, what about mining, I want to say that now it has become very unprofitable and it is better to earn cryptocurrency on ordinary projects.
candy27

Activity: 104
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 06:28:27 PM

Hi,

I've still kind of new in this digital currency world. I just discovered Bitcoin and now I found many other cryptocurrencies.

My questions are....

I do respect other currencies and their followers, it's just I don't understand this "new world" yet.  

Thanks!!  Smiley

Back in December 2017, when the bitcoin mempool was so large you had to wait three weeks or more for your transaction to be processed, the other altcoins showed their merit. Because if you had money in an alt exchange and wanted to move it, you were better off converting it to litecoin and sending it to an exchange where you could sell it directly for fiat, than sending bitcoin.

Simply put, the other alts exist because bitcoin still hasn't fixed the issue of scaling. So scaling is being done with alts.
Pinkris128

Activity: 812
Merit: 262

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 07:06:30 PM

Hi,

My questions are....

Thanks!!  Smiley

Using different cryptocurrencies can and will make the market more alive than dull. There are cryptocurrencies that are created specifically for a task. The nature that I observed for btc is for transactions that are quick and anonymous. While other cryptocurrencies are for bigger or even daily transactions like buying specific stuff. This variety of coins is making the industry dynamic. If we're going to be stuck in one coin, I don't think there won't be much new things we would talk about.
calandra78
Copper Member

Activity: 840
Merit: 114

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 07:14:14 PM

Using different cryptocurrencies can and will make the market more alive than dull. There are cryptocurrencies that are created specifically for a task. The nature that I observed for btc is for transactions that are quick and anonymous. While other cryptocurrencies are for bigger or even daily transactions like buying specific stuff. This variety of coins is making the industry dynamic. If we're going to be stuck in one coin, I don't think there won't be much new things we would talk about.
for a trader, of course, they have the main coins like bitcoin or USDT they have for trading capital. especially for day traders, of course, they choose many assets to switch from one coin to another coin. and this is normal for traders to get better profits. because in trading we will not always profit in one asset or all assets that we trade. therefore trading with many assets will help us reduce losses.
#Darren

Activity: 784

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 07:16:21 PM

The answer to the first question is yes, there is enough quality mining equipment that can provide you enough profit from most famous altcoins like Ethereum, Zcash or Monero. Search for some mining profitability calculators and you would be amazed Smiley

████████████████
   ████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████   ███████████████████
█████████████████        ███████████████
█████████████████          █████████████
█████████████████            ████████████
█████████████████             ███████████
█████████████████              ██████████
█████████████████              ██████████
█████████████████            ███████████
█████████████████          █████████████
█████████████████      ███████████████
█████████████████ ████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
     █████████████████
          ████
DIA | OPEN ACCESS FINANCIAL DATA
stephanirain

Activity: 756
Merit: 257

Freshdice.com

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 07:31:22 PM

Hi,

My questions are....

Thanks!!  Smiley

The demand for cryptocurrency is high that the supply of bitcoin sometimes cannot meet it. One reson for this is people hold them for investment. This is why there is a need of other cryptocurrency and by doing so, creating an industry of various and dynamic markets. This variety of cryptos opened many opportunities for a lot of people and became a passion and a new career. There is no real advantage of being an alt coin and they do not necessarily weaken btc.

░▓███▓▓▓▓▒▒          
                        ▒██▒      ▓██▓▒▒█▓▓▒      
                ░▓███▓▓▒▓▓██▓      ▒██████    
          ░▓███░      ▒█▓▒░  ▒███████████  
      ▒██▓▒░  ▒▓███▓      ▒▓▓▓█████████░  
  ░██▓        ▒▓▒░    ░▓▓▓▓▓███████▓███▓  
▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ░▒▒▓▓▓███████▓      ███  
███████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████      ░███▒
▒██▒▓██████▓▓▓▓▓▓██████████  ▒█████
  ▓█    ▒██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████████▓███████
    █▓    ▒██▓▓▓█▓▓▓████████▒    ░██████▒
    ▓██▒▓█▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓████████      ▒██████▓