Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:48:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Archive] BFL trolling museum  (Read 69305 times)
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:40:22 PM

also known as Nexus7 in a BoxTM
1) Cut a hole in a box.
2) Put  your junk in the box.
3) Make her open the box.
And that's the way we do it!

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 06:10:51 PM

1) Cut a hole in a box.

You know it's CES and my wallet is open wide
Gonna show you something so you know what's on my mind
A gift real special, so take off the top
Take a look inside -- it's Nexus in a box
Not gonna get you a mining rig
That sort of gift don't mean anything

aTg
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:01:33 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2013, 07:27:51 PM by aTg

1) Cut a hole in a box.

What is clear is that this company seeks above all the aesthetics of its products, and that alone does not give me much confidence.
If you wanted to add a host on minirig (which should be cast from the first day) was more practical to include something like a RaspberryPi or similar accessible via ssh but is easier to put a mobile phone embedded with nice graphics and touch screen, leave that pileup running 24/7 for months to see what happens ...

+

+

+

=

I forgot, some silicone too.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:07:04 PM

1) Cut a hole in a box.

What is clear is that this company seeks above all the aesthetics of its products, and that alone does not give me much confidence.
If you wanted to add a host on minirig (which should be cast from the first day) was more practical to include something like a RaspberryPi or similar accessible via ssh but is easier to put a mobile phone embedded with nice graphics and touch screen, leave that pileup running 24/7 for months to see what happens ...
It could be argued that they also care about features and ease-of-use.  Many people do not know SSH, do not want to learn it, and would much rather have a "self contained" device with built-in display that tells them if anything's gone wrong.

I do agree that I'd be worried about the longevity of such a setup, and whether it would run reliably for months on end without requiring human intervention.  However, BFL must believe that the tradeoff for that potentially questionable reliability is worth the feature set it offers.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:13:20 PM

1) Cut a hole in a box.

See I'm wise enough to know
When an ASIC needs shippin',
and I'll send just the one
Overnight to you, ya all those Jalapenos.
To all the Singles out there with upgrades to replace,
It's easy to mine follow these steps:

Christmas, Nexus in a box
Hanukkah, Nexus in a box
Kwanzaa, Nexus in a box
Every single holiday Nexus in a box.
Over at your parents' house, Nexus in a box
Mid-day at the grocery store, Nexus in a box
Backstage at the CMA's, Nexus in a box

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:26:02 PM

It could be argued that they also care about features and ease-of-use.  Many people do not know SSH, do not want to learn it, and would much rather have a "self contained" device with built-in display that tells them if anything's gone wrong.

I do agree that I'd be worried about the longevity of such a setup, and whether it would run reliably for months on end without requiring human intervention.  However, BFL must believe that the tradeoff for that potentially questionable reliability is worth the feature set it offers.

An alternate hypothesis is that BFL may recognize that this is a more effective strategy to rope in the simpletons who would be likely to send them 'pre-order' funds without any tangible evidence that BFL will ever be delivering anything.  People who don't want to 'learn ssh' are likely a super-set of the 'have money, will send to strangers' group.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:34:40 PM

An alternate hypothesis is that BFL may recognize that this is a more effective strategy to rope in the simpletons who would be likely to send them 'pre-order' funds without any tangible evidence that BFL will ever be delivering anything.  People who don't want to 'learn ssh' are likely a super-set of the 'have money, will send to strangers' group.
A valid hypothesis if you believe BFL hasn't given tangible evidence of future delivery.
aTg
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:37:51 PM

Exactly, if you want to make available to tablet users rather than computer users, it is because they seek to dupe suckers ... Mining is not as download an android app and give mining. As much as I want to sell well.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:56:36 PM

Mining is not as download an android app and give mining. As much as I want to sell well.
Did you miss writing a few words, or something?   Huh
aTg
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 08:07:24 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2013, 08:24:18 PM by aTg

Mining is not as download an android app and give mining. As much as I want to sell well.
Did you miss writing a few words, or something?   Huh

English is not my native language, I think the message is clear no?
Mining is not like download a app from PlayStore for people that leftover $30,000.

PD: I leave a link to the only products that have now BFL for sale: http://www.cafepress.es/butterflylabs
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 08:42:15 PM

Mining is not like download a app from PlayStore for people that leftover $30,000.

PD: I leave a link to the only products that have now BFL for sale: http://www.cafepress.es/butterflylabs
My apologies.

I gather what you are trying to say is that people who buy a $30,000 rig aren't generally the same people who need an "easy to use" mining device.  I can agree to that, but I have a couple of responses:

1)  BFL would like to expand the audience of miners from just including the absolute technogeekiest to more of an average user "hey, I want to check this Bitcoin thing out!"  I don't know how much that'll happen at the $30,000 level, but one could argue that if even only one or two more minirig customers were capture because of the tablet integration, BFL could call it a success.

2)  There are some hardcore Bitcoin enthusiasts who do take aesthetics and ease-of-use into account, even though it might not be true of the group as a whole.  Myself, for instance.  I wasn't about to buy an ASIC miner that wasn't enclosed in some case, and it is a bonus that the case looks good (I bought two Single SC's).  If I had the funds for a minirig, I absolutely would have preordered one, and I would have much rather had a tablet integrated as they have done than had an SSH requirement or other non-GUI solution for maintaining the mining.  TBH, I really dislike command-line anything.  It isn't the way I like to work with computers.  I also currently use BitMinter - again, because it is GUI-based, not command-line based like CGMiner and some of the other popular options.  Though I may not fit the profile of the typical Bitcoin miner, I am a Bitcoin miner, and I do spend money on equipment.  With the tablet integration, BFL is attempting to capture the market of people like me who do not want to deal with command-line anything, and want statistics and graphs to be automatically calculated and shown without any intervention on my part.
punin

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 09:19:07 PM

They should send these to all those with preorders. Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day Smiley

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
aTg
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:33:42 PM

My apologies.

I gather what you are trying to say is that people who buy a $30,000 rig aren't generally the same people who need an "easy to use" mining device.  I can agree to that, but I have a couple of responses:

1)  BFL would like to expand the audience of miners from just including the absolute technogeekiest to more of an average user "hey, I want to check this Bitcoin thing out!"  I don't know how much that'll happen at the $30,000 level, but one could argue that if even only one or two more minirig customers were capture because of the tablet integration, BFL could call it a success.

2)  There are some hardcore Bitcoin enthusiasts who do take aesthetics and ease-of-use into account, even though it might not be true of the group as a whole.  Myself, for instance.  I wasn't about to buy an ASIC miner that wasn't enclosed in some case, and it is a bonus that the case looks good (I bought two Single SC's).  If I had the funds for a minirig, I absolutely would have preordered one, and I would have much rather had a tablet integrated as they have done than had an SSH requirement or other non-GUI solution for maintaining the mining.  TBH, I really dislike command-line anything.  It isn't the way I like to work with computers.  I also currently use BitMinter - again, because it is GUI-based, not command-line based like CGMiner and some of the other popular options.  Though I may not fit the profile of the typical Bitcoin miner, I am a Bitcoin miner, and I do spend money on equipment.  With the tablet integration, BFL is attempting to capture the market of people like me who do not want to deal with command-line anything, and want statistics and graphs to be automatically calculated and shown without any intervention on my part.

Ok, I am 100% agree with you, but not with them. If the intention is to provide a friendlier interface for miners not so geeks like these should have worked a bit on hardware itself. Simply a micro PC and touch screen, a tablet with android will engage customers in a particular profile but expelled more than it has managed to capture, by the lack of options and the bad image created by poorly designed product.
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:38:04 PM

They should send these to all those with preorders. Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day Smiley

Can I have one of those instead?

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:52:22 PM

They don't have a prototype. The world would see it at CES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZUPniBo5UQ

I don't f*cking understand why all of a sudden everyone is talking about a Nexus7 tablet. And black boxes. And fans.

The whole interview is hot air: "Nexus7 ... bfgminer ... Android ... bla bla bla ... Nexus7 ... bfgminer ... bla bla bla ...".

Can someone in Vegas please visit BFLs booth and kick them in the nuts? One kick per shipment delay.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 11:05:45 PM

Ok, I am 100% agree with you, but not with them. If the intention is to provide a friendlier interface for miners not so geeks like these should have worked a bit on hardware itself. Simply a micro PC and touch screen, a tablet with android will engage customers in a particular profile but expelled more than it has managed to capture, by the lack of options and the bad image created by poorly designed product.
Well, and that is really what it boils down to.  Has the decision they made brought in more customers than have left because of it?  Has anyone who has a minirig on order decided to cancel the order because they integrated a Nexus 7 into it?

I haven't heard of anyone canceling because of this, but that doesn't mean no one has.  Likewise, I haven't heard of anyone ordering because of this, but that doesn't mean no one has.  It's all a big unknown right now.  Something that we'll probably never know the answer to, but can at least attempt to speculate upon, if for no other reason than to stimulate interesting discussion and thought about why customers of a particular demographic may choose one brand of product vs another.
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 01:31:11 AM

So they show up at CES without a single working device. Not even a Jalapeno -> not even one working ASIC chip.

Um, you never produce "one" ASIC chip. If they had one, they would have thousands, and they would have already shipped.

I never said ASICs are produced by the piece.

You said "not even one". This implies that there are situations where you would expect them to have only one working chip. You should have said "not even a prototype batch" if that is what you meant.

But you can have a test wafer (with a couple hundred chips, depending on die size) that's processed with another batch (so 49 wafers of product A and 1 wafer with my test chips).

...Then they would have a couple hundred chips, and they would have done demos of prototype units and sent some to mining software developers to ensure compatibility. This would all have happened weeks or months ago. It would be all over the forums.

It's quite likely that they did a test run, found a minor issue, and corrected it for the real production run.

You never do 50 wafers with a design where you actually don't know if it's working or not. If the chips are borked you'd lose some 100K USD!

You always "lose" a lot if an ASIC doesn't work. That is the reality of ASIC development; you burn through a lot of cash before you can actually start making working chips.

I feel like I'm repeating myself...

Possibly. That's why you are a troll.

Rofl. Calling someone a troll when your sig contains the word "Asshamster"... 0/10.
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 01:42:15 AM

They don't have a prototype. The world would see it at CES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZUPniBo5UQ

I don't f*cking understand why all of a sudden everyone is talking about a Nexus7 tablet. And black boxes. And fans.

The whole interview is hot air: "Nexus7 ... bfgminer ... Android ... bla bla bla ... Nexus7 ... bfgminer ... bla bla bla ...".

Can someone in Vegas please visit BFLs booth and kick them in the nuts? One kick per shipment delay.

Um, do you even know what most companies show off at CES these days? Did you hear about the WiFi rifle? It's all "lol android tablet" and vaporware. Every booth is the same.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 04:24:37 AM

2)  There are some hardcore Bitcoin enthusiasts who do take aesthetics and ease-of-use into account, even though it might not be true of the group as a whole.  Myself, for instance.  I wasn't about to buy an ASIC miner that wasn't enclosed in some case, and it is a bonus that the case looks good (I bought two Single SC's).  If I had the funds for a minirig, I absolutely would have preordered one, and I would have much rather had a tablet integrated as they have done than had an SSH requirement or other non-GUI solution for maintaining the mining.  TBH, I really dislike command-line anything.  It isn't the way I like to work with computers.  I also currently use BitMinter - again, because it is GUI-based, not command-line based like CGMiner and some of the other popular options.  Though I may not fit the profile of the typical Bitcoin miner, I am a Bitcoin miner, and I do spend money on equipment.  With the tablet integration, BFL is attempting to capture the market of people like me who do not want to deal with command-line anything, and want statistics and graphs to be automatically calculated and shown without any intervention on my part.

Saved by (unsurprisingly) being broke.  A practical advantage of being in such a condition.

Anyway, if I were running a pre-order scam, I'd be targetting people much like yourself...albeit with more disposable income.  Cook up some simple mock-up apps and watch the money pour in.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 04:52:29 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2013, 09:50:46 AM by Transisto

This is the only monitoring device I'd want to check if a minirig had stopped working.

Minirigs will most likely be held in a safe inside vault inside a secret room.  I'd prefer a 199$ refund than a Nexus 7 I wouldn't use.
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 137 »
  Print  

Jump to: