Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:13:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Archive] BFL trolling museum  (Read 69313 times)
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 05:27:05 AM

But you can have a test wafer (with a couple hundred chips, depending on die size) that's processed with another batch (so 49 wafers of product A and 1 wafer with my test chips).

Almost.

It's more like 50 identical wafers, with a tiny area of each for your project, and the rest of the area of each for other projects.

I understand that BFL did not go this route, and went straight to full wafer production, first for the batch that had a "refraction issue", and then again with the "bullet run" that turned out to need "clock buffer adjustments".  I understand that the third batch, now in production, comes to 100k chips or more.

I imagine they've blown through at least a million bux at this point in masksets alone.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 06:21:50 AM

But you can have a test wafer (with a couple hundred chips, depending on die size) that's processed with another batch (so 49 wafers of product A and 1 wafer with my test chips).

Almost.

It's more like 50 identical wafers, with a tiny area of each for your project, and the rest of the area of each for other projects.

I understand that BFL did not go this route, and went straight to full wafer production, first for the batch that had a "refraction issue", and then again with the "bullet run" that turned out to need "clock buffer adjustments".  I understand that the third batch, now in production, comes to 100k chips or more.

I imagine they've blown through at least a million bux at this point in masksets alone.

I learned something today: http://anysilicon.com/understanding-maskset-type-mpw-mlm-mlr-and-single-maskset/

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 06:30:57 AM

2)  There are some hardcore Bitcoin enthusiasts who do take aesthetics and ease-of-use into account, even though it might not be true of the group as a whole.  Myself, for instance.  I wasn't about to buy an ASIC miner that wasn't enclosed in some case, and it is a bonus that the case looks good (I bought two Single SC's).  If I had the funds for a minirig, I absolutely would have preordered one, and I would have much rather had a tablet integrated as they have done than had an SSH requirement or other non-GUI solution for maintaining the mining.  TBH, I really dislike command-line anything.  It isn't the way I like to work with computers.  I also currently use BitMinter - again, because it is GUI-based, not command-line based like CGMiner and some of the other popular options.  Though I may not fit the profile of the typical Bitcoin miner, I am a Bitcoin miner, and I do spend money on equipment.  With the tablet integration, BFL is attempting to capture the market of people like me who do not want to deal with command-line anything, and want statistics and graphs to be automatically calculated and shown without any intervention on my part.

Saved by (unsurprisingly) being broke.  A practical advantage of being in such a condition.

Anyway, if I were running a pre-order scam, I'd be targetting people much like yourself...albeit with more disposable income.  Cook up some simple mock-up apps and watch the money pour in.

Saved?  From what?  Making more money?

Believe me, I'd be as skeptical as you are if BFL had not previously delivered good working products.  Absolutely NOTHING from them has shown me that they are operating any kind of con.  EVERYTHING points to them just having things go wrong in the design/production process.  I am not surprised that they delayed past their expected date - it was a "best case scenario" date.  Certainly, you are entitled to your opinion that they are a scam, but I have seen zero indicators of such that cannot also be representative of a small company experiencing a few setbacks.

Almost.

I understand that BFL did not go this route, and went straight to full wafer production, first for the batch that had a "refraction issue", and then again with the "bullet run" that turned out to need "clock buffer adjustments".  I understand that the third batch, now in production, comes to 100k chips or more.

Oooh, interesting.  This is the first time I have heard of TWO prior batches.  When/where did you hear about a refraction issue?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 06:37:38 AM

2)  There are some hardcore Bitcoin enthusiasts who do take aesthetics and ease-of-use into account, even though it might not be true of the group as a whole.  Myself, for instance.  I wasn't about to buy an ASIC miner that wasn't enclosed in some case, and it is a bonus that the case looks good (I bought two Single SC's).  If I had the funds for a minirig, I absolutely would have preordered one, and I would have much rather had a tablet integrated as they have done than had an SSH requirement or other non-GUI solution for maintaining the mining.  TBH, I really dislike command-line anything.  It isn't the way I like to work with computers.  I also currently use BitMinter - again, because it is GUI-based, not command-line based like CGMiner and some of the other popular options.  Though I may not fit the profile of the typical Bitcoin miner, I am a Bitcoin miner, and I do spend money on equipment.  With the tablet integration, BFL is attempting to capture the market of people like me who do not want to deal with command-line anything, and want statistics and graphs to be automatically calculated and shown without any intervention on my part.

Saved by (unsurprisingly) being broke.  A practical advantage of being in such a condition.

Anyway, if I were running a pre-order scam, I'd be targetting people much like yourself...albeit with more disposable income.  Cook up some simple mock-up apps and watch the money pour in.

Believe me, I'd be as skeptical as you are if BFL had not previously delivered good working products.  Absolutely NOTHING from them has shown me that they are operating any kind of con.  EVERYTHING points to them just having things go wrong in the design/production process.  I am not surprised that they delayed past their expected date - it was a "best case scenario" date.  Certainly, you are entitled to your opinion that they are a scam, but I have seen zero indicators of such that cannot also be representative of a small company experiencing a few setbacks.

Almost.

Oooh, interesting.  This is the first time I have heard of TWO prior batches.  When/where did you hear about a refraction issue?

Refraction issue is mention here, Spike: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=112700.msg1361779#msg1361779

(no alpaca in this race--just passing info)
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 06:39:34 AM

You don't read either forum, eh?

It's been posted before on both forums I believe. Use the search feature.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 06:42:52 AM

If they really did have chips produced, where are they? Someone should go dumpster-diving.

Buy & Hold
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 06:55:50 AM

...he case looks good (I bought two Single SC's).  If I had the funds for a minirig, I absolutely would have preordered one, and I would have much rather had a tablet integrated as they have done than had an SSH requirement or other non-GUI solution for maintaining the mining.  TBH, I really dislike command-line anything.  It isn't the way I like...

From getting scammed obviously.  (And yes, I acknowledge that BFL is not a proven scam at this point, but even if not, being delayed until long after others have their ASIC's humming away is probably not likely to result in the pay-day a lot of people might have hoped for.)

I don't pay a lot of attention to this stuff since I've not yet felt the calling to be a miner, but I guess I pay more attention than you.  From what I gather, BFL's FPGA stuff what a cache of out-of-production (although powerful) FPGA's.  They didn't even know how to compute the power which is why their estimates were so far off.

As for screwing things together, at least one of their customers said that things worked OK when he re-did a bunch of the work.  Highly technical stuff like flipping the fan around and that sort of thing.  I guess they put it in a pretty box or something though, and that's good enough for many of their customers.

But anyway, their business model comes to an end when the box full of surplus/reject FPGA's run dry.  Faced with needing to either close shop, compete with people who seem to know what they are doing, or try an ASIC pre-order scam, it does not take much imagination to envision someone with with a 'rich history' in scammery opting for the latter.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 07:10:14 AM

Almost.

Refraction issue is mention here, Spike: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=112700.msg1361779#msg1361779

(no alpaca in this race--just passing info)
Thanks PG, I missed that one..!

tvbcof, I'll just agree to disagree with you at this point.
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 08:22:46 AM

So they show up at CES without a single working device. Not even a Jalapeno -> not even one working ASIC chip.

Um, you never produce "one" ASIC chip. If they had one, they would have thousands, and they would have already shipped.

I never said ASICs are produced by the piece.

You said "not even one". This implies that there are situations where you would expect them to have only one working chip. You should have said "not even a prototype batch" if that is what you meant.

No, I said "So they show up at CES without a single working device. ...". How does this imply their fab has produced only one working chip?!?!

There might be tons of ASICS - but at CES they showed none. That's all I said.

Some people here are to dumb to read. Or simply retarded. You can imply this up your ass.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 10:08:02 AM

So they show up at CES without a single working device. Not even a Jalapeno -> not even one working ASIC chip.

Um, you never produce "one" ASIC chip. If they had one, they would have thousands, and they would have already shipped.

I never said ASICs are produced by the piece.

You said "not even one". This implies that there are situations where you would expect them to have only one working chip. You should have said "not even a prototype batch" if that is what you meant.

No, I said "So they show up at CES without a single working device. ...". How does this imply their fab has produced only one working chip?!?!

There might be tons of ASICS - but at CES they showed none. That's all I said.

No. Check the bold text.

Some people here are to dumb to read. Or simply retarded.

Some people here are very confused. How can one be "to dumb to" "simply retarded"?

You can imply this up your ass.

I'm beginning to think that you have some sort of ass-obsession.
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 10:10:03 AM

I'm beginning to think that you have some sort of ass-obsession.

You begin to think? That's one step forward ...  Grin

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 10:21:30 AM

Holy crap Frizz,your fadein fast bro,pick up the pace!!!!!!!!  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 11:57:19 AM

Some people here are very confused. How can one be "to dumb to" "simply retarded"?

"Some people here are to dumb to read. Or [some people here] are simply retarded."

The "or" refers to the subject of the previous sentence. For example:

"I misinterpreted this sentence. Or maybe this one".

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 12:12:34 PM

haha, kindergarten again!! no facts just war... nice!  Roll Eyes

lucif

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Clown prophet

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:50:23 PM

Interview with miners pre ordered BFL products

Turn subtitles on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ERE4uiufqE
wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 01:00:39 PM

Turn subtitles on!

HILARIOUS!!!

What is the original show?
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 01:19:49 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2013, 01:33:23 PM by Gyrsur

Turn subtitles on!

"So you took credit to make pre-order?" HAHA HIHI HOHO Grin

EDIT: clever business model. if I need a loan to start a business I promise a product and take pre-orders until the product is ready or not. the risk of the business is always at my customers and if it fails my ass is save.

Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 01:39:25 PM

Turn subtitles on!

HILARIOUS!!!

What is the original show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFWgKl-O-A

nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:23:45 PM

"Some people here are to dumb to read. Or [some people here] are simply retarded."

You're dramatically oversimplifying the situation! Recursion, recursion, recursion! "Too dumb to read" is a subject, but read is itself a subject of that fragment.

"Some people are too dumb to spot a troll. Or counter-troll."
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 02:37:17 PM

You're dramatically oversimplifying the situation! Recursion, recursion, recursion! "Too dumb to read" is a subject, but read is itself a subject of that fragment.

"Some people are too dumb to spot a troll. Or counter-troll."

You are of course correct. Many phrases can be interpreted to have different meanings. I did not mean to imply your interpretation was invalid, simply that it was not the appropriate interpretation of the phrase you quoted.

"Some people are too dumb to spot a troll. Or a counter-troll."

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 137 »
  Print  

Jump to: