Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:20:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Archive] BFL trolling museum  (Read 69313 times)
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 04:02:58 PM

Posted in another thread.
Timeline will be available as soon as we start taking preorders. And I must say that it will come out at least 3 months earlier
than what most people have estimated. Hope that helps.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Which thread?  A quote with no real attribution means nothing.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:03:34 PM

Timeline will be available as soon as we start taking preorders. And I must say that it will come out at least 3 months earlier

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

They started trolling the Enterpoint thread. Roll Eyes Angry

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 04:05:11 PM

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

They started trolling the Enterpoint thread. Roll Eyes Angry
Link or it didn't happen.

EIEIO:

ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:05:45 PM

Makes you wonder why they even bother watching Enterpoint thread ? feel a strong competitor ?
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:06:12 PM

Link or it didn't happen.
I'm not your personal slave.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:08:10 PM

Stick this up to your lazy ass

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78239.msg971874#msg971874
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:10:22 PM

As I posted else where, the trade in program has not been announced. What if it is a case of send back your singles, and you are now in the queue, along with anyone one else who has purchased. This means that you are back in the position of Wang x months for the new hardware without any old / current hardware mining.

This means that people who have singles already could spend months more waiting. I very much doubt that bfl would put previous purchasers In front of new money into the company.

Phil
And they could send these singles coming back to people still waiting for them today, total win for BFL. The question is : did they plan this from the beginning ?
Is this a joke? ASICs exists for what, 30? 40? years. Of course if everyone is using only GPU and FPGA, someone WILL make an ASIC. It doesn't take a genius to guess that. "Planning that"? Welcome in the computing world, it's 50+ years old, making a specific hardware wich is faster than generic things like fpga or gpu is nothing new lol
Cool down. You didn't understand me : what I'm wondering if they based their business model on their ability to sell the same unit to several customers.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 04:13:40 PM

You took the time to quote, but stripped the url.  Don't be calling me lazy when you don't know how to properly cite your sources.

EIEIO:

MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:17:05 PM

You took the time to quote, but stripped the url.  Don't be calling me lazy when you don't know how to properly cite your sources.

You were told it's from Enterpoint thread and still you were asking for a link --> LAZY!!!! I stripped all the trollfaces and other extra stuff and just posted the important part.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:23:14 PM

Suck his dick if you want him to do something for you.

Spoiled little bitch
copumpkin
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:28:59 PM

You took the time to quote, but stripped the url.  Don't be calling me lazy when you don't know how to properly cite your sources.

Suck his dick if you want him to do something for you.

Spoiled little bitch

Man, everyone is so pleasant on these forums. This place is bustling with professionalism, and I can see great business ventures emerging out of all the tight relationships forged on these very pages.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:31:38 PM

BACK ON TOPIC...

So 3 months less than what "most people have estimated"... I've seen estimates for 12 months from now, or that we won't see them till 2013 (6 months from now). Even going with the later one, that puts their product to be released in Sept, 3 months from now.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
punningclan

Activity: 283

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 05:22:25 PM

More and faster BFL, please:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228180/U.S._regains_supercomputing_crown_bests_China_Japan
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303822204577470532859210296.html

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 05:23:04 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88363

For those wondering where the posts on the Enterpoint thread went.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 08:03:55 PM

Oh boy, I'm just beginning to truly realize what a mess an algorithm change will be...

Even assuming a best case scenario - people don't have TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in ASICs to pay off yet - bitstreams and miners need to be changed and it will take MONTHS, it's going to be slow, the new fork (with the better algorithm) will generate mostly worthless coins for the moment (since very few are involved in it) so people will insist on staying on the old fork, with the vulnerability, arguments will arise not to mention the severe confidence hit Bitcoin will take. A lot of people will dump their coins when they hear Bitcoin is vulnerable to the very core and their money's security depends on using a fork that very few miners support. Not to mention that every merchant and service provider using Bitcoin will have to change their entire infrastructure... Holy shit, it's a nightmare. And that's the BEST case scenario...

The WORST case scenario is that ASICs have a good chunk of the hashing power. In that case that entire chunk is there to stay. Since ASICs can't be updated and the miners have lots of money invested in them, they would lose all of their investments if they would support the new fork. So they won't support it. Therefore the new fork will be reserved to a few percent of the hashing power and the old fork will carry on with the vulnerability. So the change would come at a dead slow pace and it could be enough to make Bitcoin dead in the water.

Either way, a hashing algorithm change is extremely likely to be disastrous for Bitcoin. The entire infrastructure would need updating, specialized hardware would need to be thrown out rendering tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars lost. The dead slow updating and people insisting on keeping a vulnerable fork could be the final nail in the coffin.

Now that I managed to scare myself shitless regarding the future, can somebody tell me I'm wrong and how can all this be easily mitigated?

Maybe starting the updating procedure a year or so in advance, before any vulnerability is discovered, giving time to everyone to update slowly and be prepared. The new fork could start as a test net of sorts and be reset when it's decided to start the fork proper.
Perhaps start with the obvious:  We don't need an algorithm change.
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 08:05:04 PM

Oh boy, I'm just beginning to truly realize what a mess an algorithm change will be...

Even assuming a best case scenario - people don't have TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in ASICs to pay off yet - bitstreams and miners need to be changed and it will take MONTHS, it's going to be slow, the new fork (with the better algorithm) will generate mostly worthless coins for the moment (since very few are involved in it) so people will insist on staying on the old fork, with the vulnerability, arguments will arise not to mention the severe confidence hit Bitcoin will take. A lot of people will dump their coins when they hear Bitcoin is vulnerable to the very core and their money's security depends on using a fork that very few miners support. Not to mention that every merchant and service provider using Bitcoin will have to change their entire infrastructure... Holy shit, it's a nightmare. And that's the BEST case scenario...

The WORST case scenario is that ASICs have a good chunk of the hashing power. In that case that entire chunk is there to stay. Since ASICs can't be updated and the miners have lots of money invested in them, they would lose all of their investments if they would support the new fork. So they won't support it. Therefore the new fork will be reserved to a few percent of the hashing power and the old fork will carry on with the vulnerability. So the change would come at a dead slow pace and it could be enough to make Bitcoin dead in the water.

Either way, a hashing algorithm change is extremely likely to be disastrous for Bitcoin. The entire infrastructure would need updating, specialized hardware would need to be thrown out rendering tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars lost. The dead slow updating and people insisting on keeping a vulnerable fork could be the final nail in the coffin.

Now that I managed to scare myself shitless regarding the future, can somebody tell me I'm wrong and how can all this be easily mitigated?

Maybe starting the updating procedure a year or so in advance, before any vulnerability is discovered, giving time to everyone to update slowly and be prepared. The new fork could start as a test net of sorts and be reset when it's decided to start the fork proper.

We don't need one YET. But such an eventuality is being planned for.

ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 08:08:00 PM

From what I understand, the difficulty adjusts based on network speed, and the whole point of difficulty is to stop a single node from having too much power over the network ?

Question: Will the ASIC still work once all coins have been generated ?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 08:08:50 PM

We don't need one YET. But such an eventuality is being planned for.
Well, ok, I can agree with that.  We'll eventually have to move from SHA256 to something else, maybe in 25, 50, 100 years.  And in that case, it should be a change that will be known well in advance (the bruteforcibility of SHA256 should always be easy to calculate).  If it is well known in advance, then manufacturers will have time to create new ASICs that pertain to the new algorithm, and, in all likelihood, difficulty wouldn't actually drop too catastrophically.

The only thing that would be truly catastrophic is if a flaw in SHA256 is suddenly revealed.
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 08:24:19 PM

Yes.

EIEIO:

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 08:34:37 PM

Yes.
And you won't be alive to see the day anyway, so why does it matter?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 137 »
  Print  

Jump to: