Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:45:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Businesses or Services that Bitcoin could use  (Read 897 times)
solareclipse64236 (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:19:24 PM

-ebay like business
-bitcoin bank
-stock brokerage that uses bitcoins
-poker network that takes bitcoin
-electronics store that takes bitcoin
-IF every business right now were to accept bitcoin as currency
-buy travel tickets with bitcoins
-money exchange places that will take bitcoin

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
capsqrl

Activity: 444

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:27:06 PM

Bitmit.net is pretty "ebay-like", and it works well.

And there are lots of poker sites. :-)

I like your ideas.

Norsk Bitcoin-bruker? Kom til /r/BitcoinNO på reddit!
solareclipse64236 (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:34:35 PM

I suggest for all of you to e-mail, lettermail, phone or talk to proprietors in regards to accepting bitcoin as a form of currency with their businesses.

If I am still interested in the future, I'm planning on starting a non-profit organization or corporation that will persuade or lobby businesses into taking bitcoin as currency.

I hope I will get more support by stating this now than in the future.

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:38:41 PM

-ebay like business
-bitcoin bank
-stock brokerage that uses bitcoins
-poker network that takes bitcoin
-electronics store that takes bitcoin
-IF every business right now were to accept bitcoin as currency
-money exchange places that will take bitcoin

Got most of those covered already, sort of:

Bitmit - ebay like business
IBB - bitcoin bank
GLBSE (Well, you can't really buy AAPL or GOOG) - stock brokerage that uses bitcoins
Seals with Clubs - poker network that takes bitcoin
Memorydealers - electronics store that takes bitcoin
MTGOX and many others - money exchange places that will take bitcoin

This leaves:

I get your point though, these are Bitcoin centered businesses which cater to Bitcoin specifically, and would likely fail outside the Bitcoin sphere. They are not a bunch of regular old businesses who have simply chosen to accept BTC as just another means of payment.

Getting some of those would be nice.

(Memorydealers could be an exception, but they seem to get a significant portion of their business from the Bitcoin community, so maybe not.)

solareclipse64236 (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:45:08 PM

Can I get some of you guys to email Pokerstars at ideas@pokerstars.com into getting them involved in bitcoins?

I've been emailing them but apparently there isn't enough demand. Just to note guys, Pokerstars is #1 and if it accepts bitcoins then the rest will fall in.

solareclipse64236 (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:57:11 PM

Please note that IBB is not what you can legally define as a bank. It's just a lending service.

A bank will let you own a chequing or savings account, give you a debit or credit card and or provide you with a short or long term loan.

solareclipse64236 (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 11:10:40 PM

Bitmit.net is great, just need to work on making it bitmi[Suspicious link removed]m

bignumbheart

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 11:29:18 PM

if you could load bitcoins on a cellphone and the cellphone had an encrypted wallet with a special scanner to pay for an item at a cash register. that would solve any problem
solareclipse64236 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 12:39:21 AM

it would still have to travel through the network, time consuming

bitster

Activity: 53

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 02:30:45 AM

if you could load bitcoins on a cellphone and the cellphone had an encrypted wallet with a special scanner to pay for an item at a cash register. that would solve any problem

That would be great, no tax!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 02:34:43 AM

I get your point though, these are Bitcoin centered businesses which cater to Bitcoin specifically, and would likely fail outside the Bitcoin sphere. They are not a bunch of regular old businesses who have simply chosen to accept BTC as just another means of payment.

Getting some of those would be nice.

(Memorydealers could be an exception, but they seem to get a significant portion of their business from the Bitcoin community, so maybe not.)

MemoryDealers is most certainly an exception, for it was a successful business before bitcoin.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 02:36:13 AM

We've already got that, but it still requires that the vendor accept bitcoin as a form of payment.  Few do as of yet.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

solareclipse64236 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 02:41:52 AM

that will never happen, governments will be against it, that means they lose tax dollars

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 02:51:34 AM

that will never happen, governments will be against it, that means they lose tax dollars
You still need to pay your taxes if you want to be a legitimate business. It doesn't matter if you use Bitcoin, gold or anything else as the currency.
solareclipse64236 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:37:07 AM

no not as a business

bignumbheart

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:10:23 PM

If the vendor doesn't accept bitcoin you should have the choice to pay with USD or bitcoin on your cellphone. It would make it easier, if the Bitcoins loaded on your cellphone could be converted into usd on it. If stores don't accept bitcoin, for example; lets say your on your cellphone getting ready to pay at the register, you have the choice to convert your bitcoin to usd and then scan your cellphone for whatever they accept.
solareclipse64236 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 04:00:49 PM

usd yes, btc no

there always has been waiting time for btc to convert usd

think about HOW the btc gets into the store's account? just because it's wireless transmission that does not mean its magical and instant, it still needs to make its way across the network from your wallet to the store's wallet, it certainly won't be that quick

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 05:19:58 PM

If the vendor doesn't accept bitcoin you should have the choice to pay with USD or bitcoin on your cellphone. It would make it easier, if the Bitcoins loaded on your cellphone could be converted into usd on it. If stores don't accept bitcoin, for example; lets say your on your cellphone getting ready to pay at the register, you have the choice to convert your bitcoin to usd and then scan your cellphone for whatever they accept.

If it were possible to do with US $ what you describe in any secure fashion for any reasonable cost, Bitcoin could never have come to be to begin with.

dustdust

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 03:11:07 AM

i'm looking for a list of online merchants who accept btc. anybody....?
Duckphobia

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:15:23 AM

If Ebay or Amazon starts starts accepting bitcoin I think the market is go nuts, and price shoot up fast!! I think Amazon has an incentive to go because they already do not like Paypal because it is affiliated with Ebay, thus if Amazon adopts bitcoin then the Paypal business is go bad! Also I can go spend my bitcoins there to buy things for me and my friends!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: