Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:20:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bears, it's over.  (Read 3424 times)
The Fool (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 04:29:27 PM

I'm sorry. May god have mercy on your soul.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-28/bitcoin-s-gains-may-fuel-central-bank-concerns-chart-of-the-day.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 05:06:03 PM

Wow, great find!

Yes, the CB's are doomed and Bitcoin will rise like a Phoenix.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 05:18:09 PM

Let's not be hasty. I think Bitcoin is on the way up, but no matter the usefulness of bitcoins, government-issued currency can do certain useful things bitcoins can't. Legally unambiguous settlement of debt or tax obligations, for example.

Also, doesn't "rising like a phoenix" imply that Bitcoin will have to die first?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
The Fool (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 05:20:02 PM

Also, doesn't "rising like a phoenix" imply that Bitcoin will have to die first?

See the 2011 bubble and crash.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 05:20:05 PM

Let's not be hasty. I think Bitcoin is on the way up, but no matter the usefulness of bitcoins, government-issued currency can do certain useful things bitcoins can't. Legally unambiguous settlement of debt or tax obligations, for example.

$32-->$1.98 was it's death, albeit premature.
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 05:55:51 PM

Pyramid game, payment system for illicit goods, swindles, massive valuation gyrations, hackable code, difficult to use, and anonymous "managers" that we are supposed to trust

Someone with no idea how Bitcoin works has a lot to say.

Pyramid game

Reward for work is not a pyramid. Neither is the ability to send money.

payment system for illicit goods

As are most currencies.

swindles

Again, not unique/a fault of Bitcoins.

massive valuation gyrations

This is true. But it's still around and going strong, unlike other wildly fluctuating currencies.

hackable code

One does not simply "hack", SHA256

difficult to use

Kinda true, it's less convenient than traditional payments methods.

anonymous "managers" that we are supposed to trust

NO! There are no "managers" of bitcoin. The only person who manages your BTCs is YOU. If you leave them lying around unprotected, or give them to someone who rips you off, it's your own fault.
The Fool (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 06:08:46 PM

Pyramid game, payment system for illicit goods, swindles, massive valuation gyrations, hackable code, difficult to use, and anonymous "managers" that we are supposed to trust

Someone with no idea how Bitcoin works has a lot to say.

https://twitter.com/Corbenic

Just some CEO of a failing venture capital company.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 06:15:05 PM

$32-->$1.98 was it's death, albeit premature.

Hard to call it a death, really, when it was still over 100% higher at that lowest point than it had been at the start of the year Wink
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 06:27:27 PM

Bitcoin is not more difficult to use than banks or credit cards. Converting between bitcoin and fiat is another matter entirely.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
twolifeinexile

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 06:39:27 PM

That is why I called it correction earlier.Smiley
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 01:38:35 AM

Bitcoin is not more difficult to use than banks or credit cards. Converting between bitcoin and fiat is another matter entirely.

This is just your single opinion. Tell that to the average joe who only knows how to check his email and nothing more.

Bitcoin needs to reach Mr. Average Joe in order to go mainstream and completely viral.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 01:40:52 AM

This is just your single opinion. Tell that to the average joe who only knows how to check his email and nothing more.

Bitcoin needs to reach Mr. Average Joe in order to go mainstream and completely viral.

In other words facebook needs to integrate it for some reason :-)
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 01:44:32 AM

Of course it's only my opinion, but I've seen how banks and CC issuers operate, and their requirements and procedures are, partly as a result of government regulation, far more involved than installing a BTC wallet.

The 'average joe' seems to know, even if only a little, how to bank online and how to log into social media on mobile devices. Or am I missing something obvious? I agree that Bitcoin isn't dummy-level stuff, though, but nor does it require Einsteinian intelligence or a PhD.

BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 02:01:20 AM

Of course it's only my opinion, but I've seen how banks and CC issuers operate, and their requirements and procedures are, partly as a result of government regulation, far more involved than installing a BTC wallet.

The 'average joe' seems to know, even if only a little, how to bank online and how to log into social media on mobile devices. Or am I missing something obvious? I agree that Bitcoin isn't dummy-level stuff, though, but nor does it require Einsteinian intelligence or a PhD.

In case you missed my point:

The average joe knows how to use a credit card and how to go to the bank to get money (i.e atm). Bitcoin isn't that simple...yet. So yes it is more difficult to use than the current way people are used to banking.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 02:06:13 AM

The average joe knows how to use a credit card and how to go to the bank to get money (i.e atm). Bitcoin isn't that simple...yet. So yes it is more difficult to use than the current way people are used to banking.

If we include the conversion of fiat to BTC as part of the Bitcoin process, then yes, I agree with you.

cheat_2_win

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 02:08:06 AM

That is why price is still hovering around $18. When Bitcoin becomes so simple that average joe is able use just like credit card, we will be seeing price a lot higher than this.
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 02:11:31 AM

That is why price is still hovering around $18. When Bitcoin becomes so simple that average joe is able use just like credit card, we will be seeing price a lot higher than this.

Easily $10k per BTC. Grin

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 03:03:17 AM

Bulls, I would just like to remind you that the Cnet article "A guide to the future of currency" coincided with the 2011 bubble peak. Wink
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 03:11:11 AM

Bulls, I would just like to remind you that the Cnet article "A guide to the future of currency" coincided with the 2011 bubble peak. Wink

Cnet and Bloomberg have very different demographics

Yes, but where is your argument?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 06:20:35 AM

Easily $10k per BTC. Grin

Actually very likely but the road to 10000 USD per 1 BTC will wind through bear country with many healthy and hungry bears along the way. If one believes even for a single moment that all the bears are dead, then it becomes almost certain that one gets eaten by a bear along the way.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: