Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:49:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins in mainland China  (Read 2312 times)
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 09:26:25 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2011, 09:36:58 AM by MemoryDealers

I have been telling many people in mainland China about Bitcoins,  some of them seem very interested.
Can someone explain for me how easy/difficult it will be for the great firewall of China to be able to stop the spread of bitcoins?

Is it possible that a non technical person inside of China will have trouble sending and receiving bitcoins with someone outside of China?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tukotih

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:31:23 AM

I'd like to know this as well.

Donations always appreciated: 1GkRu9rZxk5iMRzsrcZxZ3BUHV1SWNZ9RB
IMPORTANT! Switch from deepbit: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8653.0
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:39:07 AM

The firewall is not the only problem. http://english.mofcom.gov.cn/aarticle/newsrelease/commonnews/200906/20090606364208.html

To circumvent it is very easy. All you need to do is
1. Download Tor browser bundle
2. Download Bitcoin
3. Start Tor and in Bitcoin client Settings->Options check "Connect through socks4 proxy"
Use IP 127.0.0.1 Port 9050 which are default
Rocketfella

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:13:57 AM

The peer to peer nature of Bitcoin solves this problem. As long as a few nodes manage to break through the Golden Shield, they can distribute the outside world's new blocks to the regular chinese people who don't know how to circumvent the firewall and they are the ones moving chinese blocks/transactions out to the world.

The cool thing about Bitcoin is, that you don't need a direct connection to the person you want transfer money to. If I'm in China and want to transfer to some guy in the USA, all I need is his Bitcoin address: I create the transaction, which gets broadcasted to the chinese part of the Bitcoin network. Now, either it reaches a node that broke the Golden Shield and from there it reaches the global Bitcoin network, or it just goes into the next block that is created in China and that block somehow finds its way out of China.

Though I'm not so sure about competing block chains. Maybe, when dealing with China, wait for 8 confirmations or something?

The communist party could however modify the Golden Shield in such a way that every Bitcoin address gets replaced by a government owned one. Then chinese people would accidentally transfer all their Bitcoins to the government. The only way to prevent that would be a secure way to tell somebody your bitcoin address.  What I mean is, if I say that my Bitcoin address is 13FsW67CtKn97TfjVqG8bDqTRA3b7Xjgxg , can you be sure that you see what I actually wrote? Maybe an evil forum admin changed the address to his own, so instead of giving me money, you give it to the forum authorities...
foo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:18:39 AM

What I mean is, if I say that my Bitcoin address is 13FsW67CtKn97TfjVqG8bDqTRA3b7Xjgxg , can you be sure that you see what I actually wrote? Maybe an evil forum admin changed the address to his own, so instead of giving me money, you give it to the forum authorities...
This is what PGP signing was invented for.

I know this because Tyler knows this.
ElectricMonk

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 11:11:19 AM

What I mean is, if I say that my Bitcoin address is 13FsW67CtKn97TfjVqG8bDqTRA3b7Xjgxg , can you be sure that you see what I actually wrote? Maybe an evil forum admin changed the address to his own, so instead of giving me money, you give it to the forum authorities...
This is what PGP signing was invented for.

+1
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 11:43:35 AM

TTo circumvent it is very easy. All you need to do is
2. Download Bitcoin
3. Start Tor and in Bitcoin client Settings->Options check "Connect through socks4 proxy"

The great firewall of China blocks Tor.
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 11:49:41 AM

Can someone explain for me how easy/difficult it will be for the great firewall of China to be able to stop the spread of bitcoins?

They can make it painful. For ex., they could block all bootstrap methods (IRC and known nodes). They could filter packets, screwing those who do not encrypt their connections.
Tor is already blocked, so it wouldn't help much either.

Is it possible that a non technical person inside of China will have trouble sending and receiving bitcoins with someone outside of China?

I guess it would be as much as hard as it is for these non technical people to access forbidden web content... they would have to find a proxy which hasn't yet been taken down.
Tiigon

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 11:50:20 AM

2. Download Bitcoin

I thought Tor is used to get through the firewall?

SCAVO  Technologies
SELF-SUSTAINING CRYPTO MINING FARM  BY USING RENEWABLE ENERGY RESOURCES - LIFETIME CONTRACT
────────  Whitepaper ⬝  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Ann Thread     ───────  Join our ICO:  July. 15- Oct. 31
Rocketfella

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 11:55:55 AM

Well, no. What I heard is that they mostly use encrypted VPN connections to connect to proxies outside of China. And the communist party can't ban VPN at the moment, since it is a tool that is used by nearly all corporations in the world to secure their communications. Banning it would be disastrous for both chinese corporations and international corporations that also operate in China.
Jimmy2011

Activity: 589
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:15:26 PM

I have been telling many people in mainland China about Bitcoins,  some of them seem very interested.

As far as I know and my experience, now bitcoin client runs very well in China. At present, bitcoin is not widely spread in China, and I think just about several hundreds have the experience of running the client. On the other hand, as it gets more popular, it may be a problem. Of course, bitcoin is not just a barrier and problem for China, it is a great challenge to all governments in the world. How will the White house response to bitcoin? Let's go ahead.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 04:43:21 PM

Reading that article I kept thinking: But... Bitcion is not a virtual currency; it is a real currency you can use to buy real goods. Of course, something may have gotten lost in the translation/summarizing. The definition of a virtual currency appears to be tautological.

A virtual currency is a currency that can only be bought at a fixed exchange rate, and can only exchanged for virtual goods. As such, it is illegal to use such a "Virtual currency" to buy real goods. I can't read the original Chinese, but those rules may not apply to bitcoin because the exchange rate floats, and there is no single issuer that only accepts it in exchange for virtual goods.

Obviously if you are living in china, you will want to look at the regulations more carefully than I just did.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:08:49 PM

2. Download Bitcoin

Inaccurate, the GFW block searchs for Tor and the Tor website itself. But they can not block Tor traffic, it's impossible, unless they maintain a whitelist and block all other traffic coming in and out of China (which isn't unimaginable for Chinese government)

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:06:56 PM

It almost doesn't matter from the technical perspective if they can stop it or not if they can do this: http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/ebusiness/218101859

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:29:32 PM

It almost doesn't matter from the technical perspective if they can stop it or not if they can do this: http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/ebusiness/218101859

So it comes down to black markets and citizens willingness to flaunt authority eh? Yeah, I'm pretty sure we can do that.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:52:41 PM

Don't neglect the Hong Kong market. If even a few people of influence in Hong Kong support bitcoin, it could make a difference down the road, at least in terms of enforcement in the mainland. There is a lot of hot money in Hong Kong, and more people are educated about currencies there than just about anywhere else in the world. I've spent enough time in the bourses and forex bucketshops of Kowloon and Central HK to know that if bitcoin were properly presented (or even improperly presented), it would definitely take off in China.
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:32:49 AM

Inaccurate, the GFW block searchs for Tor and the Tor website itself. But they can not block Tor traffic, it's impossible, unless they maintain a whitelist and block all other traffic coming in and out of China (which isn't unimaginable for Chinese government)

No, the GFW blocks Tor itself. It doesn't need a whitelist. It just need to
  • Blacklist all public tor relays
  • Pay some low-wage Chinese to go on creating Google accounts and tracking each tor bridge as soon as it's up, to block them as well.

They are already doing this. Unless there has been some new progress on tor capability of hiding from the GFW that I'm not aware of.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: