Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:08:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 345 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XEL] Elastic Project - The Decentralized Supercomputer  (Read 450418 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Lannister (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 500

I'm blocking all private messages. Use Bitmessage!

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 10:30:36 PM
Last edit: October 11, 2016, 09:09:51 AM by Lannister

Elastic Project

http://www.elastic-project.com is a non-profit community driven website, created by and for the developers, other community members and those interested in this project, to surge information and helpful advice on everything related to Elastic.

The overall goals of the website are:
  • To be the public face of the Elastic Project
  • To be a useful resource to current Elastic Project users, testers and developers
  • To be a place that those current users can point others to for info and updates

This thread is too long to read, and extracting every information is just too much to handle, so please explore the website to obtain supplemental information.

No, I will not disclose my real name on the Internet. The very simple reason I’m anonymous is so that I can talk freely about a free web. One mistake people often make is having the faulty assumption that knowing my real name or my association with a respected person, group or organization might get them to trust me more. In fact, I have no authority here. Elastic Project is a loosely associated group of developers which constantly changes over time. If you prefer projects with a more centralized structure, then please move on. Specifically, I kindly ask you to refrain from any messages that try to convince me of the contrary. My time is too valuable to be wasted with the same discussion again and again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
m3rt1x

Activity: 484
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 10:36:34 PM

Watching closely!
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:06:16 PM

What is the reason for starting a new thread? I've lost track... I think this is the 3rd of 4th thread for the coin now? I see this new thread is moderated, but there wasn't much need to moderate it really.
Lannister (OP)

Activity: 140

I'm blocking all private messages. Use Bitmessage!

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:19:21 PM

What is the reason for starting a new thread? I've lost track... I think this is the 3rd of 4th thread for the coin now? I see this new thread is moderated, but there wasn't much need to moderate it really.

I forgot to mark the last topic as self-moderated when I created it. Unfortunately, topics cannot be converted to self-moderated topics after creation.
We have had an excessive amount of "trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt constructive conversations. A self-moderated topic is neccessary so such posts can be deleted from now on.

No, I will not disclose my real name on the Internet. The very simple reason I’m anonymous is so that I can talk freely about a free web. One mistake people often make is having the faulty assumption that knowing my real name or my association with a respected person, group or organization might get them to trust me more. In fact, I have no authority here. Elastic Project is a loosely associated group of developers which constantly changes over time. If you prefer projects with a more centralized structure, then please move on. Specifically, I kindly ask you to refrain from any messages that try to convince me of the contrary. My time is too valuable to be wasted with the same discussion again and again.
PrizZzrak

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Marijuanacoin.org

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2016, 11:21:59 PM

Good luck with the project  Smiley I like the name lol.

Are there any bounties?

notsofast
Legendary

Activity: 1517
Merit: 1042

@notsofast

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2016, 11:30:44 PM

I think I was the first one to donate to this crowd fund-- still looks like a solid project.

twitter.com/notsofast
poornamelessme

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:31:08 PM

I forgot to mark the last topic as self-moderated when I created it. Unfortunately, topics cannot be converted to self-moderated topics after creation.
We have had an excessive amount of "trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt constructive conversations. A self-moderated topic is neccessary so such posts can be deleted from now on.

Hmm... if you say so. I don't recall much in the way of trolling over there, just a lot of questions (which I asked too). Although nice to see you responding to a post.

I'll ask you the same questions I asked in the old thread:

Who are you exactly? What is your background, what skills do you possess?
And who has access to the funds?
cyberhacker
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:46:03 PM

Hi Lannister,

I just sent you a PM.  good luck.
lopalcar

Activity: 312
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:57:48 PM

First of all, the idea is very interesting and I will look closely Smiley "planing to throw a portion of BTC with a friend"

For what I see in the withepaper, the arbitrary works won't be for secure the blockchain, but for reward the workers "aka miners". If this is the only purpose of this coin, won't be maybe better include this feature in a coin which already has some value? Will this feature can be added to any other coin with same codebase?

In the other hand, I don't have almost any clue on how the checking of the processed pieces of work will be done, how will you know if the result is correct if no one before computed it?  Huh
The target of this "coin" will be mainly build the toolkit for allow scientists or other in need of computing power recruit the necessary resources? I mean, the problem I mentioned above will need to be solved by the coders using the toolkit you provide or this toolkit will already have an easy to implement mechanism for check the validity of the processed tasks?

And... I understand that the reward to the miners comes from the one in need of computing power, "he need X flops and will pay Y coins for each flop" so he subbmit the required ammount of coins and the network distribute it among participants, right? Ant the transactions fees goes to "POS" miners or to the "workers computing the workunits"?

Anyways, I still don't know how you will manage to split in little portions any kind of work "nice if you found a way Cheesy" but for what I read, even boinc, folding@home or any other project work with redundant workunits which are computed several times from different members and then results are checked, right? so... did you found the way to achieve this?

PD: Didn't followed the history of this coin, so maybe this things has already been addressed
LordCoder

Activity: 712

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 12:00:10 AM

It looks like an interesting project, I will watch carefully maybe something unexpected appears.
super55

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 01:10:57 AM

Hi Lannister, i send you a PM Smiley

xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 04:11:57 AM

reserved!

In summary, the Intel Management Engine and its applications are a backdoor with total access to and control over the rest of the PC. The ME is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy, and the libreboot project strongly recommends avoiding it entirely. Since recent versions of it can’t be removed, this means avoiding all recent generations of Intel hardware. details https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme --- https://tehnoetic.com/laptops --- https://store.vikings.net/x200-ryf-certfied
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2016, 05:25:22 AM

reserved! looking forward to seeing how this project develops Smiley
pyrofade

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 05:28:07 AM

The old topic should not be hidden in any case: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1390623.0
Davids123

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 05:31:59 AM

Look really interesting !
cryptoheadd

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 07:48:38 AM

What are the total number of coins?
And how much will 1 BTC buy?

Thanks
Dazza

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 08:27:25 AM

As for no relevance, I'd disagree there. If this wasn't an ICO, okay, I agree with you. Anytime money is collected however, whomever is running a coin is of prime relevance. I do fully understand why someone wouldn't wish to post their personal information here, however -- just to me, either a coin is fully open, the devs' real names given, or strong escrow is used. Sort of pick one or the other, but this coin picked neither.

One thing I have noticed is that nobody here is using their real names.  That is the nature of the bitcointalk culture and it's unreasonable to ask the developers to do so.  As for escrow, the intention is not to develop a program, deliver it, then collect the funds as our reward.  The intention is to spend the money developing the project.  We can't do that if its escrowed.  Also, there's a list I've seen somewhere on bitcointalk giving a list of trusted escrows, and none of them that I recall were using their real names.

But it's your BTC to fund or not to fund, and if one of your criteria for doing so is "real names or escrow" then you cannot invest in this coin.

I also see no reason not to post or list in a ledger somewhere how the funds are being used.

I entirely agree, and I hope Lannister will change his mind on this one.

Anyway, no need for a refund for me, as I never contributed. I'm just someone who was considering investing early on in the coin, and it's taken me weeks just to get some basic answers -- like who is running this thing, or who has access to the funds (which I still don't know exactly). I'll assume it's you and EK, but I thought I read somewhere another 3rd party would be involved.

Well, I am one of the devs, at least according to Lannister's rather loose definition of the term, and so far quite a significant one.  I can confirm that I have no access to or control of the funds, and I don't want any involvement in them.  Beyond that, I'm as clueless as you are, and as frustrated as you are at the difficulty in getting straight answers to simple questions.
poornamelessme

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 09:02:01 AM

One thing I have noticed is that nobody here is using their real names.  That is the nature of the bitcointalk culture and it's unreasonable to ask the developers to do so.  As for escrow, the intention is not to develop a program, deliver it, then collect the funds as our reward.  The intention is to spend the money developing the project.  We can't do that if its escrowed.  Also, there's a list I've seen somewhere on bitcointalk giving a list of trusted escrows, and none of them that I recall were using their real names.

But it's your BTC to fund or not to fund, and if one of your criteria for doing so is "real names or escrow" then you cannot invest in this coin.

I get that entirely. If I was running a coin here, I wouldn't want to give my real name either. Too many crazies involved with crypto. But I also hold the opinion once you start asking folks for money, you should give them something... be it your real name, escrow, or at the least, one of those coin dev verification services (if they even still do that).

And even those aren't definite criteria for me investing in a coin. I've taken part in smaller ICOs where the devs didn't provide a whole lot of info. But it wasn't like here. Here it's like pulling teeth to even get the lead (or 3rd lead dev) to even respond with any info. And then we get vague answers back. Hence why it'd be nice if they were a little more forthcoming about themselves.

Ex: Okay, Lannister said he's a doctoral student in electrical and computer engineering. That's fine. Maybe a brief resume of projects he's worked on would have been nice. Or coding languages he knows. And why hasn't he taken part here in the discussion about the technical aspects of the coin?

Dazza

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 11:53:41 AM

First of all, the idea is very interesting and I will look closely Smiley "planing to throw a portion of BTC with a friend"

You have asked some excellent questions and I am partway through draughting a reply.  Please bear with me.
cyberhacker
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 12:38:41 PM

You guys deserve my respect.

I won't say why, but now I do respect your honesty.

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 345 »
  Print  

Jump to: