Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:46:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 345 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XEL] Elastic Project - The Decentralized Supercomputer  (Read 450428 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 08:52:10 PM

goto: http://www.elastic.pro/donations

and their goto "donate now"

edit: only send from private wallet, not exchange

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MrWhiteBites

Activity: 770
Merit: 511

Im the One who Knocks.

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 04:31:03 AM

Using the Private keys to Bitcoin seems like the most unsafe thing a person can do.

What am i missing here, why has it been made this way, it is a little confusing. Or just seems that way.

Why is it unsafe? Seriously, I don't see the problem.

As to why they did it, I suppose its for convenience and transparency. We can already see what addresses get what amount of coin in the genesis block. We can all recognize our own address yet the info is still private because only we know which transactions refer to us.

No need to sign up on a web site, declare XEL addresses when wallets are available, etc etc. Tbh, the system seems excellent.

Great. Now, can someone explain this process to me, like a total noob.  Never bought coins this way before.

1- Where do i send the bitcoin from?  Does it have to be a desktop wallet? Or can i use a mobile wallet, like Mycelium.
2- When i send the Bitcoin payment  (this is the part i do not understand)
- Where do the coins go to?
3- How do i access the coins in the future, to send to an exchange for trading.

Many thanks.

If you don't know who I am, then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly
Selsonblue

Activity: 661
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 04:47:48 AM

Awesome update video. Thanks for your hard work EK!
Lannister (OP)

Activity: 140

I'm blocking all private messages. Use Bitmessage!

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 09:39:32 AM

Great. Now, can someone explain this process to me, like a total noob.  Never bought coins this way before.

1- Where do i send the bitcoin from?  Does it have to be a desktop wallet? Or can i use a mobile wallet, like Mycelium.
2- When i send the Bitcoin payment  (this is the part i do not understand)

Many thanks.

A small correction to your posting: you do not buy coins here, you donate. And as a result of your donation you will have no legal obligation to us and I will have no legal obligations to you. What you basically do is to altruistically support the development of a cleverly inventive, ingenious system with uncertain outcome. Furthermore, because you asked about exchanges and trading: when you donate you MUST signify that you DO NOT see your donation as a speculative investment in any form. Please keep that in mind.

No, I will not disclose my real name on the Internet. The very simple reason I’m anonymous is so that I can talk freely about a free web. One mistake people often make is having the faulty assumption that knowing my real name or my association with a respected person, group or organization might get them to trust me more. In fact, I have no authority here. Elastic Project is a loosely associated group of developers which constantly changes over time. If you prefer projects with a more centralized structure, then please move on. Specifically, I kindly ask you to refrain from any messages that try to convince me of the contrary. My time is too valuable to be wasted with the same discussion again and again.
twistelaar
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 10:02:30 AM

@devs. Are there also some bounties?
Lannister (OP)

Activity: 140

I'm blocking all private messages. Use Bitmessage!

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 10:16:23 AM

@devs. Are there also some bounties?

There is no official list of bounties, but you can suggest one or two things that you think may be helpful. I believe the biggest to-do is finishing the website at http://www.elastic-project.org. Maybe some of you like to take care of the website and enrich it with some high quality content? In the past I tried to bless the community with numerous lucrative bounties and gifts for writing articles for the knowledge base. Many writers volunteered but for some reason they did not deliver.

No, I will not disclose my real name on the Internet. The very simple reason I’m anonymous is so that I can talk freely about a free web. One mistake people often make is having the faulty assumption that knowing my real name or my association with a respected person, group or organization might get them to trust me more. In fact, I have no authority here. Elastic Project is a loosely associated group of developers which constantly changes over time. If you prefer projects with a more centralized structure, then please move on. Specifically, I kindly ask you to refrain from any messages that try to convince me of the contrary. My time is too valuable to be wasted with the same discussion again and again.
MrWhiteBites

Im the One who Knocks.

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 12:38:34 PM

Great. Now, can someone explain this process to me, like a total noob.  Never bought coins this way before.

1- Where do i send the bitcoin from?  Does it have to be a desktop wallet? Or can i use a mobile wallet, like Mycelium.
2- When i send the Bitcoin payment  (this is the part i do not understand)

Many thanks.

A small correction to your posting: you do not buy coins here, you donate. And as a result of your donation you will have no legal obligation to us and I will have no legal obligations to you. What you basically do is to altruistically support the development of a cleverly inventive, ingenious system with uncertain outcome. Furthermore, because you asked about exchanges and trading: when you donate you MUST signify that you DO NOT see your donation as a speculative investment in any form. Please keep that in mind.

Ok so it wont be traded on exchanges?

And all this stressing over how its a donation, is really that, people are just giving the team money to build The Decentralized Supercomputer.

So its not an ICO really is more of a crowd funding, where the participants get nothing in return,  other than tokens that can only be used as "fuel" in the supercomputer and not traded for bitcoin?

If so, then fine, but i like to invest to see a return on my investment, not
 a donation.

If you don't know who I am, then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly
xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:16:43 PM

And all this stressing over how its a donation, is really that, people are just giving the team money to build The Decentralized Supercomputer.

So its not an ICO really is more of a crowd funding, where the participants get nothing in return,  other than tokens that can only be used as "fuel" in the supercomputer and not traded for bitcoin?

a donation.

XEL will be purchasable on exchange(s), people who want to rent some computational power need to buy XEL.

In summary, the Intel Management Engine and its applications are a backdoor with total access to and control over the rest of the PC. The ME is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy, and the libreboot project strongly recommends avoiding it entirely. Since recent versions of it can’t be removed, this means avoiding all recent generations of Intel hardware. details https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme --- https://tehnoetic.com/laptops --- https://store.vikings.net/x200-ryf-certfied
MrWhiteBites

Im the One who Knocks.

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:34:52 PM

a donation.

XEL will be purchasable on exchange(s), people who want to rent some computational power need to buy XEL.

Great Answer, that makes up my mind... i'm out... no way can XEL compeat with Ethereum.

Good luck XEL Team!

ImI
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:37:08 PM

a donation.

Great Answer, that makes up my mind... i'm out... no way can XEL compeat with Ethereum.

Good luck XEL Team!

bye bye
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:39:12 PM

no way can XEL compeat with Ethereum
... Just like apples cannot compete with oranges  Wink
xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:44:11 PM

Will the BTC halving affect the time between blocks?

In summary, the Intel Management Engine and its applications are a backdoor with total access to and control over the rest of the PC. The ME is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy, and the libreboot project strongly recommends avoiding it entirely. Since recent versions of it can’t be removed, this means avoiding all recent generations of Intel hardware. details https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme --- https://tehnoetic.com/laptops --- https://store.vikings.net/x200-ryf-certfied
ImI
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:49:40 PM

... Just like apples cannot compete with oranges  Wink

yes, but there is indeed one project that builds upon ethereum that tries to achieve the same

a competitor if you want  Wink
catcoinminer

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:52:01 PM

Still there are enough time to issue tokens to the crowdfunders to back the project. And a purpose to fuel the token will add value to the tokens and live well in the future.
Sam123

Activity: 980
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 05:41:59 PM

... Just like apples cannot compete with oranges  Wink

yes, but there is indeed one project that builds upon ethereum that tries to achieve the same

a competitor if you want  Wink

What does the project called please?
Thanks
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 07:24:09 PM

Do we know why Canadians are prohibited from donating? The USA I can understand, but why Canada?
Bgjjj2016

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Ben2016

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 07:32:05 PM

Sorry for the delays,

There is a lot to do at the moment, the conference that I am attending currently consumes a lot of time and all appointments seem to take place at once ... this week-

Anyway, I think I have done a lot of progress here - even though we are slightly behind the originally planned schedule (whoever planned it, i didn't). I am giving my best to keep up with it, but it would be nice to get some help by one or two more coders who are willing to put some serious time into it.
I am doing it for free (I will never actively ask Lannister for any continuous reward or a salary for my work), in my spare time but yet with full enthusiasm ... so please don't blame me Wink I donated myself and this is my "driver". I want to be able to one day use my XEL to get my research done quicker.

At the current stage we have a coin that has all the basic functions working and it has the protocol extentions working. That means, beyond all the basic stuff like sending coins and messaging other users, the elastic coin users can create new work, cancel it, refund, and so on. All is nicely integrated into the UI. What is still missing is that the actual "work" is done and verified for correctness. This will be the next step and this is developed in a separate github repository. I (or we, I still hope to get some more people working with me) will merge it into the core client once it works rock solid.

What we have now can be executed by anyone locally. If we had a bootstrap node, which we will soon have, we could also test it on the public test net. But before rolling out a demo that runs on a public server (in form of a hosted wallet, so the average joe can try it out without compiling anything) we will need a faucet. Maybe someone wants to do one? After we launch, this faucet might be cool to have anyways.

I have worked 14 hours now today, straight without any break, so I decided not to write much and do screenshots, but to record a small VLOG for those who are interested.

Please, excuse the video quality (and my cursing in between). I have bought an iPad pro and thought it would be a serious performer ... the video looks as if it was recorded with a potato though. I will make something better once I have more time, but the conference has higher priority atm.

I made the code (without the verifiable computation branch) public here. Forgive me, that I did not have the time yet to explain everything and make a detailed tutorial/howto:

https://github.com/OrdinaryDude/elastic-reference-client

Click to watch the ~1/2hour VLOG: (Attention: Recorded with a Potato!!)

Very informative video.  Thanks for putting this together, it really clarified a lot of my questions.
thank you, great progress.

My " I want that Old Toyota Camry very bad" BTC Fund :1DQU4oqmZRcKSzg7MjPLMuHrMwnbDdjQRM
Join the Elastic revolution! Elastic Network: The Decentralized Supercomputer 
ELASTIC WEBSITE|ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD|JOIN THE SLACK
xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 08:58:16 PM

sorry to repeat myself but will the BTC halving affect the time between the blocks? I really have no clue.

Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 09:08:05 PM

sorry to repeat myself but will the BTC halving affect the time between the blocks? I really have no clue.

You mean the time between the Bitcoin blocks? Hard to tell, in my opinion it might have an effect for a short time. If mining is not that lucrative anymore, many miners will stop mining. This will at first cause that the time between blocks increases, because a lesser amount of total hash power has to work on the same high target value. Luckily, the target value is adjusted every xxx blocks, so I think that if such effect kicks in, it will be leveled out pretty quickly.
xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 09:15:19 PM

You mean the time between the Bitcoin blocks? Hard to tell, in my opinion it might have an effect for a short time. If mining is not that lucrative anymore, many miners will stop mining. This will at first cause that the time between blocks increases, because a lesser amount of total hash power has to work on the same high target value. Luckily, the target value is adjusted every xxx blocks, so I think that if such effect kicks in, it will be leveled out pretty quickly.

Oh I see, thank you for the answer. Well then we will reach BTC 11258th block in around 76-80 days from today.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 345 »
  Print  

Jump to: