Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:23:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt inital start problems  (Read 1242 times)
rahl (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 02:12:05 AM

I have been trying to get the blockchain in various ways for about 2 weeks or something now.

There are various problems. After 6 hours or so bitcoin-qt.exe is up to using over 2 gb of ram and then it crashes.

The db.log file becomes huge, at one point it was over 3GB.

The blockchain files are basically not growing at all, just the first few minutes after lauching the client it will take of then pretty much nothing happens for a very long while. I have plenty of connections and such and not done anything special with the installation on Windows 7.

I tried decrypting my SSD and running bitcoin it without any modifications on a unencrypted SSD with 1Gbit internet connection for a few days and it was just as slow and stalling just as much. It is the latest version of the client.

On my laptop running Ubuntu I managed to get the whole thing downloaded in 3-4 days. I tried moving those files and do -loadbock with them. I ended up with a blk0001 of about 200meg, it didnt import the rest from those working blockchain files.

Any ideas? Any more info that might be helpfull?

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 03:11:54 AM

Hio Smiley

Is your cpu and/or ram overclocked ?

Are the motherboard's and SSD's drivers and/or bios up to date ?

If all is good, check the sata cable(s) to make sure they are sitting flush. Something might be pulling on them.

pEACe

rahl (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 10:20:22 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2013, 10:35:24 AM by rahl

Nothing overclocked and cables seems ok.
I am not having any bluescreens or any other problems with the computer now and it is stable for months without reboot ... so the hardware should be ok.

The db.log is like this

PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
wallet.dat: unable to flush page: 91
txn_checkpoint: failed to flush the buffer cache: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
then now 300mb of that last line...

the only errors i can find in debug looks something like this and it is full of them:
ERROR: FetchInputs() : 0cd82b8737 mempool Tx prev not found 848af2646b
stored orphan tx 0cd82b8737 (mapsz 10001)
mapOrphan overflow, removed 1 tx

also when I clean the datadir I can no longer use the wallet.dat because it says it is corrupted and have to restore the backup from before I replaced the SSD.

Bitcoin-qt.exe is also crashing with unexpected runtime error when I do stuff like try to add or rename addresses or change the wallet password.

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 03:25:12 PM

How are the system's temperatures ?

Some other things I would try ...

- run everything possible as Admin or enable the hidden Admin acct and use that for all updates and installs.
- install and update service pack 1, .NET 4.0 and Microsoft visual C++ 2008/2010 x86/x64
- disable the firewall and antivirus
- fresh install windows

BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 03:30:38 PM

troubleshooting here, would you:
1. Shut down Bitcoin-QT.
2. Open task-manager and make sure bitcoin isn't running.
3. Then try moving everything in the C:/Users/"You Username"/AppData/Roaming/Bitcoin directory to a temporary location.
4. Start Bitcoin-QT back up.

If it runs successfully like this then it means you have a corrupt file.

rahl (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 03:55:20 PM

Temperatures are fine there is almost no load on the cpu from bitcoin and very little disk and network usage also.
Windows was just installed, that is why the bitcoin is gone. C++ and .NET are up to date

With a clean wallet file I don't get bitcoin crashing when chainging addresses and the likes. But I think I already tried it and the download was no different. I will try it again....

But I still need to use my old wallet file because blockchain.info will not import all of the bitcoins from that wallet file...

BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 10:48:38 PM

You can import the blockchain from your other bitcoin client by selecting the option detach database on shutdown on BOTH the clients.  Then you can simply copy the blk00x.dat and blkindex.dat files to the bitcoin directory on windows computer.

Note: Bitcoin-QT takes longer to shut down when this option is checked so make sure bitcoin isn't running before copying the files.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2949

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 10:31:38 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2014, 01:06:31 AM by Cyrus

Before reinstalling Windows did you happen to have 0.7.2 Beta?
I'm not entirely sure but it may be the cause of your wallet transfer.
Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: