Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:06:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Able to mine with this system?  (Read 5386 times)
Dagget (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:40:45 PM

Trying to get an older system to work properly with OpenCL.  Several potential obstacles and looking for configuration solution or cheapest upgrade path:

Tyan Tiger S2466N  motherboard
AMD Athlon MP 2400 x 2
2 GB ECC memory
HIS 4670 (AMD/ATi) AGP video card w/1gb ram
Windows XP Pro

The closest I have gotten is using the original HIS drivers in conjunction with a somewhat older AMD APP SDK that includes the OpenCL runtime.
It says I can use the CPU's for OpenCL work, but that the driver doesn't support OpenCL.

AMD has dropped OpenCL support from current XP drivers for this range of video cards, though some older ones that might still support it can be dug up.
Also am concerned if my using Athlon MP's is a roadblock, as they lack SSE2 support

Perhaps someone can point to a particular combination of Drivers/OpenCL SDK that gets along together and can let bitcoin apps use the video card?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:57:49 PM

Motherboard, irrelevant.
CPU, irrelevant.
RAM, mostly irrelevant, but only matters. 2GB for XP is ok.

The only thing that matters in a mining rig, really, is the GPU.

You might get 50Mhash/s out of that card.   At current difficulty, mining 24x7, you might make...maybe...between 1 and 2 bitcents a day. so, between 50-100 days to mine one BTC.

Good luck.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 06:01:09 PM

Simple answer is ... no.

4670 is not OpenCL capable.  Even if it was the computing power of that GPU is so low you would be lucky to get a couple pennies worth of Bitcoins a week, in exchange for a couple dollars in electricity.  Given the motherboard uses AGP you don't have an upgrade path to a modern GPU and with ASICs arriving soon it is probably not a good idea to invest in new system unless you just like spending money with no hope of a profit.

BTW nothing matters but the video card.  The other specs are meaningless for mining.
Dagget (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 06:51:21 PM

Processing rate is not a concern.

Exactly what generations of Radeon cards *do* support the work?

I have multiple 7000-series cards working fine on other PC's.  I'm trying to get this older PC into the mix.

Will a 5450 on the regular PCI slot do the trick?
Aahzman

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 07:50:12 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Do a little research.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 07:59:03 PM

People expecting to become rich with their computer do not want to make research or do something, they expect everyone to do the homework for them.

Aahzman

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:00:07 PM

I can dream, Gabi. 

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:06:42 PM

Well after all, we bitcoiners are all optimistic, since we are here  Cheesy

Dagget (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:12:26 PM

I had looked over that chart before, hence the aim for using the 4670, since it does do the work, above comments notwithstanding; it was the best available AGP card I could readily find.

KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:29:34 PM

I had looked over that chart before, hence the aim for using the 4670, since it does do the work, above comments notwithstanding; it was the best available AGP card I could readily find.

Simple fact is:

Torturing antiquated hardware for a few bitcents a week is a really bad idea and you would be MUCH better off buying BTC.
We see these types of posts nearly everyday so either you:

A. Didn't read
B. Are too lazy to read/search
C. Didn't formulate a plan worth beans
D. Somehow expect a Unicorn Fairy to appear, sprinkle magic dust of your hardware for Godlike Uber Hash.
E. All the above.

Buy BTC and stop torturing your hardware, Jackwagon!

Your parents, neighbors, friends, whatever will appreciate the lower power bills.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
AndrewJ

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:32:16 PM

Agree with KWH..
Buy an Asic or buy some BTC!
darkip

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:33:23 PM

Before you jump in, I'd recommend against purchasing ASICs until at least one of the vendors has actually shown any proof of a working product. Consult the rest of the forum and you'll see the controversy surrounding ASICs at the moment.
AndrewJ

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:41:10 PM

Before you jump in, I'd recommend against purchasing ASICs until at least one of the vendors has actually shown any proof of a working product. Consult the rest of the forum and you'll see the controversy surrounding ASICs at the moment.
Agree with you, hypothetically, ASIC will produce results, practically I don't know?
We'll find out in the future.
Dagget (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:45:23 PM

The process I run generates btc, but not for *me* - I do get in-game currency for an online game I play (Wurm Online) for crunching at night, and I have another PC running a 7770 and what it does (about 200 Mh/s) generates an amount of in-game currency that is worth my time directing the PC to that task.  I also run my main PC and it's 7970 at night or when I am at work.  I was simply looking for a way to get the 3rd , much older, PC into the pool using the AGP 4670 card.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: