Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:27:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Segwit details? N + 2*numtxids + numvins > N, segwit uses more space than 2MB HF  (Read 21345 times)
ChronosCrypto

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 08:58:53 PM

(I am assuming 2mb is more easily coded than segwit
You're right about that. It's so much easier, that it's already been finished for some time now, on the second-most-popular bitcoin client. See http://bitcoinclassic.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kn_b_y

Activity: 26
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 09:13:29 PM

A strong malleability fix _requires_ segregation of signatures.

No, none of the alleged benefits of SegWit requires segregation of signatures:

* Malleability could be fixed by just skipping the signatures (the same data that SegWit would segregate) when computing the txid.  

* GREATER bandwidth savings could be obtained by providing API/RPC calls that simple clients can use to fetch the data that they need from full nodes, sans the signatures etc.  This enhancement would not even be a soft fork, and would let simple clients save bandwidth even when fetching legacy (non-SegWit) blocks and transactions.  

* Pruning signature data from old transactions can be done the same way.

* Increasing the network capacity can be achieved by increasing the block size limit, of course.

(Thanks for answering this one question about malleability fix I had. So it can simply be done by omitting sigs from the txid hash input, cool. If not, please let me know)

It seems to me many people have a problem with segwit because of the "hackish" softfork and/or because of the change of the economic model (2 classes of blockspace).

If we did the points listed by JorgeStolfi above as a hardfork, would that be an option for the proponents of segwit? Seems to me such a hardfork could gain wide consensus, maybe wide enough to be considered safe by everyone? It would certainly appeal to the people who just want a simple blocksize increase and it should (I don't know, though) also satisfy the people who want segwit now.

What would be missing compared to segwit? fraud proofs? change of economic model?

Maybe you should read gmaxwell's posts about doing a hard fork to change that calculation. They are a few posts above this in this thread.
Yes. Well said.

It's unsettling how often information that has already been provided is left ignored or unreferenced.

More excusable for the one-off contributors, I realise, but not for those whose apparent strong interest in the issues lead them to post again and again.

Sometimes it's been like wading through treacle, but I'm glad Gregory Maxwell contributed (don't know anything about bitcoin developers, and had never heard of him until today) and what he wrote about the different methods of fixing transaction malleabilty, and their implications, particularly made an impression.

I'd recommend reading his posts in full. Advisory notice - he does lose his patiance occassionally! And for balance, read those he references and those who reference him. And if that prevents just one unecessary post, I'll have done my…
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2016, 09:14:18 PM

jl777, this link: https://bitcoincore.org/en/segwit_wallet_dev/ might be useful to you for help with implementing segwit.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 09:58:56 PM

* Malleability could be fixed by just skipping the signatures (the same data that SegWit would segregate) when computing the txid.  

* GREATER bandwidth savings could be obtained by providing API/RPC calls that simple clients can use to fetch the data that they need from full nodes, sans the signatures etc.  This enhancement would not even be a soft fork, and would let simple clients save bandwidth even when fetching legacy (non-SegWit) blocks and transactions.  

* Increasing the network capacity can be achieved by increasing the block size limit, of course.

(Thanks for answering this one question about malleability fix I had. So it can simply be done by omitting sigs from the txid hash input, cool. If not, please let me know)

It seems to me many people have a problem with segwit because of the "hackish" softfork and/or because of the change of the economic model (2 classes of blockspace).

If we did the points listed by JorgeStolfi above as a hardfork, would that be an option for the proponents of segwit? Seems to me such a hardfork could gain wide consensus, maybe wide enough to be considered safe by everyone? It would certainly appeal to the people who just want a simple blocksize increase and it should (I don't know, though) also satisfy the people who want segwit now.

What would be missing compared to segwit? fraud proofs? change of economic model?

Yeah, both hackish (although possibly beautiful code) and the economic model, if I understand that correctly.

I don't think segwit could ever achieve HF consensus, my opinion. However if a winning hard fork was achieved, I would respect that.
A soft fork is not right here, and could well be considered an attack.

Why not 2mb first, which is on every partisan roadmap. Then segwit maybe. maybe not.
(I am assuming 2mb is more easily coded than segwit, and not as complicated as segwit as was stated earlier. Although the ease of coding is only a small part of the reason segwit should not be introduced yet. certainly not introduced by core. a SF attack on nodes.)

I didn't mean "do segwit as a hardfork", I meant do a hf that achieves the same things (more capacity, malleability fix, bandwidth savings, prune signatures from storage,...) just more -- let's say -- directly. A package with something for everybody but nothing too bad for anybody to swallow. A compromise.

That's why I was asking wether the "change of economic model" (which would be missing from that package) was something core devs couldn't live without. So far I haven't seen this desirability in itself argued, seemed to me this was understood by everyone as just a side-effect of soft-forking higher capacity.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2016, 09:21:30 AM

So far I haven't seen this desirability in itself argued,
Please read the fine thread here.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2016, 09:25:16 AM

That _is_ segregation of the signatures up to completely non-normative ordering of data transferred. Segwit could just as well order the data into the same place in the serialized transactions when sending them, but its cleaner to not do so.

This would be no greater and it would have _no_ security at all. The clients would be _utterly_ beholden to the third party randomly selected servers to tell them correct information and they would have no way to verify it.

I normally don't expect people advocating Bitcoin Classic to put security first, but completely tossing it out is a new turn. I guess it's consistent with the latest validation removal changes in classic.

Has been for years.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 10:32:23 AM

That _is_ segregation of the signatures up to completely non-normative ordering of data transferred. Segwit could just as well order the data into the same place in the serialized transactions when sending them, but its cleaner to not do so.

On the contrary, rearranging the data in transactions and blocks is an unnecessary and ugly hack to get that effect.  It means hundreds of lines of new code scattered all over the place, in the Core source and wallets, rather than a few lines in one library routine that everybody else can copy.

This would be no greater and it would have _no_ security at all. The clients would be _utterly_ beholden to the third party randomly selected servers to tell them correct information

If a client fetches a block without signatures, with SegWit or not, he cannot check whether the transactions contained in it were properly signed.  With SegWit, he can check the hash of the non-signature data; but if he is an old client, he will not even be aware that he is not checking the signatures.  

With the special call solution, if the client wants to validate a particular block, he asks for it in full, and then he can validate everything (except the parent link), as now.  The extra call can be implemented with no fork, so clients who do not upgrade, or do not wish to use that special call, will still be able to verify everything as they do now.

In other words, soft-forked SegWit *forces* old clients to fetch only part of the data, and limits them to verify only that part, *without them being aware of it*.  The special call solution lets clients decide case by case whether they want to verify a block or trust the node (that they are already trusting to some extent); and it does not change the behavior or security of existing client software.

The savings would be greater because clients who choose to use this call for old blocks would get fewer data, whereas with soft-forked SegWit everybody would have to fetch old blocks in full, signatures included.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
kn_b_y

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 11:24:56 AM

On the contrary, rearranging the data in transactions and blocks is an unnecessary and ugly hack to get that effect.  It means hundreds of lines of new code scattered all over the place, in the Core source and wallets, rather than a few lines in one library routine that everybody else can copy.

I think I can see what you are arguing against, but not what for.

Are you suggesting fixing malleability by storing transactions as they are now and omitting signatures from the txid calculation? In effect, a hard fork.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 11:36:24 AM

Are you suggesting fixing malleability by storing transactions as they are now and omitting signatures from the txid calculation? In effect, a hard fork.

Yes.  That fix should be done by a hard fork: because the code will be much cleaner, and because hard forks are safer than soft forks. (More precisely: ensuring that old versions are inoperable after 3-4 releases is safer than deploying changes to the protcol without alerting users, and letting them discover later that they must upgrade to understand why their transactions are not confirming anymore.)

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
kn_b_y

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 12:28:11 PM

Yes.  That fix should be done by a hard fork: because the code will be much cleaner, and because hard forks are safer than soft forks. (More precisely: ensuring that old versions are inoperable after 3-4 releases is safer than deploying changes to the protcol without alerting users, and letting them discover later that they must upgrade to understand why their transactions are not confirming anymore.)

I've seen enough in this thread to convince me that that approach would make deployment a disaster for bitcoin. People would lose funds.

One example gmaxwell gives: all presigned nlocktime transactions would be broken. For users keeping these in storage they may well represent a lot of security. Gone... the moment a new version of the software no longer sees the transaction as being valid.

As far as I see it, if malleability can be fixed in such a way that older versions of the software still see immalleable transactions as valid transactions then, well…  do it.
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1077

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 01:16:54 PM

One example gmaxwell gives: all presigned nlocktime transactions would be broken. For users keeping these in storage they may well represent a lot of security. Gone... the moment a new version of the software no longer sees the transaction as being valid.

You could have a rule that you can refer to inputs using either txid or normalized-txid.  That maintains backwards compatibility.  The problem is that you need twice the lookup table size.  You need to store both the txid to transaction lookup and the n-txid to transaction lookup.

The rule could be changed so that transactions starting at version 2 using n-txid and version 1 transactions use txid.  This means that each transaction only needs 1 lookup entry depending on its version number.  If transaction 1 transactions cannot spend outputs from transaction 2 transactions, then the network will eventually update over time.  It is still a hard-fork though.

Segregated witness has additional benefits with regards to data organization.  The non-signed transactions are committed separately from the signatures.  Script versioning means that it is easier to change the script language. 

It looks like they have added improvements to how transaction signing works.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 03:29:36 PM

As far as I see it, if malleability can be fixed in such a way that older versions of the software still see immalleable transactions as valid transactions then, well…  do it.

In a soft fork, by definition, the new version of the software can reject transactions that the revious version considered OK.

For example, IIUC the soft-forked SegWit proposal implies redefining an op code that previously meant "no-op" to mean "check the signatures in the extension record" or something like that.  Thus, a transaction that used that opcode (for some bizarre reason of its own, possibly fraudulent) could be valid before SegWit was enabled, but become invalid after it.

That may be a good argument to phase out nLocktime in favor of CLTV.  Once a transaction is in the blockchain, its position in it defines the rules by which it should be validated, which allows proper handling of old time locks.

JorgeStolfi

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 03:33:00 PM

The non-signed transactions are committed separately from the signatures. 

What do you mean? They are committed in the same block, at the same time, right?

Script versioning means that it is easier to change the script language. 

The position of a transaction in the blockchain should define which version of the rules is applicable to it (in particular,
which version of the scripting language it uses).

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2016, 03:49:24 PM

That may be a good argument to phase out nLocktime in favor of CLTV.

Huh?

You do realise that CLTV actually checks the nLocktime (hence its name) so if you got rid of nLocktime then it wouldn't do anything at all?

Also scripts can exist "outside the blockchain" (signed but not broadcast which was the very point being made about nLocktime) so you can't rely upon at what block they appear to determine the rules at all.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1077

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 05:17:54 PM

What do you mean? They are committed in the same block, at the same time, right?

Yes, but with a separate merkle tree with the root in the coinbase.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 05:45:30 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2016, 06:04:31 PM by rizzlarolla

Yeah, both hackish (although possibly beautiful code) and the economic model, if I understand that correctly.

I don't think segwit could ever achieve HF consensus, my opinion. However if a winning hard fork was achieved, I would respect that.
A soft fork is not right here, and could well be considered an attack.

Why not 2mb first, which is on every partisan roadmap. Then segwit maybe. maybe not.
(I am assuming 2mb is more easily coded than segwit, and not as complicated as segwit as was stated earlier. Although the ease of coding is only a small part of the reason segwit should not be introduced yet. certainly not introduced by core. a SF attack on nodes.)

I didn't mean "do segwit as a hardfork", I meant do a hf that achieves the same things (more capacity, malleability fix, bandwidth savings, prune signatures from storage,...) just more -- let's say -- directly. A package with something for everybody but nothing too bad for anybody to swallow. A compromise.

That's why I was asking wether the "change of economic model" (which would be missing from that package) was something core devs couldn't live without. So far I haven't seen this desirability in itself argued, seemed to me this was understood by everyone as just a side-effect of soft-forking higher capacity.

Ok a compromise,

(but would that mean effectively start coding from scratch? timewise, could that happen now, sensible as it may sound, as expectations of some sort of block size increase soon have been stoked.)

Either way, why should segwit SF be abandoned?
Indeed, because of the "change of economic model". But particularly through a SF.
segwit SF is an attack on bitcoin. More so than a segwit HF.

knightdk says "It was originally proposed as a hard fork, but someone (luke-jr I think) pointed out that it could be done as a soft fork."

luke jr found a technical fix to enable the possibility of a segwit SF.

Also "Soft forks are preferred because they are backwards compatible. In this case, the backwards compatibility is that if you run non-upgraded software, you can continue as you were and have no ill effect. You just won't be able to take advantage of the new functionality provided by segwit."

(functionality, i knew i'd seen a desire argued somewhere)
If he didn't upgrade he wont be able to verify segwit tx's.
Trust is now introduced to his blockchain.
That is an ill effect, and would "normally" require HF.
90% could be against segwit, yet they are the ones excluded from a fully verified blockchain.
And segwit will always be on the blockchain.
That goes against all the principles of bitcoin I thought I knew.

And "if this were done as a hard fork, then everyone would be required to upgrade in order to deploy segwit and then that would essentially force everyone to use segwit."

He cannot force everyone to use segwit through HF
(any more than XT could force anyone to upgrade and adopt)
Everyone would be required to upgrade, or not if they didn't want to.
If segwit was not wanted, he would loose the fork and segwit would be gone.
He cannot force the majority to do anything.

If/(when) segwit SF is abandoned/(postponed), a 2mb increase, in its simplest safe form, should be implemented. (no partisan additions)
Is that compromise?

That will buy time for a proper re-assessment for all in the Bitcoin space.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 07:41:15 PM

If/(when) segwit SF is abandoned/(postponed), a 2mb increase, in its simplest safe form, should be implemented. (no partisan additions)
Is that compromise?

Abandon/postpone segwit sf? (How) do you think that could happen?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 09:06:09 PM

Is that compromise?

Abandon/postpone segwit sf? (How) do you think that could happen?

It could happen. (i particually speak of a soft fork. segwit HF has different connotations)

How? oh, erm..

Core could pro-actively declare segwit a work in progress undergoing rigorous testing.
Due to this extended development time, Core could propose a 2mb hard limit be implemented first, as 2mb is also on their to do list? (nothing else. no other general tweeks)

Or maybe the test net will crash the night before launch, forcing segwit release to be abandoned last miniute.

Or possibly users will become more aware of the implications of segwit SF, or fear segwit it is not fully tested yet or needed, and rise up.

Could even be that segwit coding naturally runs into bugs, leading to delays, and again. Users loose patience and fork to classic.

So, I think it could happen in many ways.
How will possibly depend on core, balls in their court atm. Or users if they get restless, or the interaction between the two, or a tech failure.

However it should be abandoned as a SF.
"90% could be against segwit, yet THEY are the ones excluded from a fully verified blockchain." That is an attack.
(if 90% want segwit, then prove it. HF)
Why is core attacking bitcoin?

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2016, 09:36:42 PM

Core could propose a 2mb hard limit be implemented first, as 2mb is also on their to do list? (nothing else. no other general tweeks)

Absent the Schnorr sigs enabled by segwit, 2mb blocks would require "other general tweeks" in the form of restricting old style quadratic scaling sigs to some magic number maximum.

Even Gavin concluded that was a Bad Idea, because otherwise we get obnoxiously construed troll blocks that take a minute or longer to process.  And that means more empty blocks, because miners aren't going to stop mining while the troll blocks complete validation sigops.

Please stop suggesting and advocating nonsense and misinformation about "The One Simple Trick To Scale Bitcoin That Core Doesn't Want You To Know."

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 11:20:54 PM

Also "Soft forks are preferred because they are backwards compatible. In this case, the backwards compatibility is that if you run non-upgraded software, you can continue as you were and have no ill effect. You just won't be able to take advantage of the new functionality provided by segwit."

That is not quite true.  After a soft fork, old clients may issue transactions that are invalid by the new rules, and not understand why they are never confirmed.  A soft fork can also introduce new ways of storing transactions in the blockchain, implicitly or explicitly, that are invisible to old clients, as in this example.   In this case, the old clients will not see coins that new clients send them. 

90% could be against segwit, yet they are the ones excluded from a fully verified blockchain.

Yes. 

More precisely, if 51% of the miners decide to do a soft fork, the soft fork happens -- even if no one was told about it in advance -- and all other miners and clients have to accept it. 

"if this were done as a hard fork, then everyone would be required to upgrade in order to deploy segwit and then that would essentially force everyone to use segwit."

Not exactly.

With a hard fork, all users would have to be warned in advance, with explanation of what the change is and why it is a good idea. 

I there is not enough support from the miners, the hard fork does not happen and nothing changes.

If there is enough support from the miners to execute the hard fork, the users would have to be warned again to upgrade to a version that is at most K releases old by date D.  Hopefully, most everybody will convert in time, and then the few lagards will be unable to use their coins until they upgrade too. 

However, if a substantial minority *of the miners* remains absolutely opposed to the changes, the coin will split into new-rule and old-rule coins.  Each user will see his own coins replicated in both branches, and will be able to use both  independently.  Is freedom of choice such a bad thing?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: