Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:14:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Women in Bitcoin - linuxchix? bitcoinchix?  (Read 2043 times)
tjohej (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:02:38 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2013, 12:16:53 PM by tjohej

Edit: My first post in this thread led to misunderstandings, so for others to understand I made this edit. If you can't find my original post you can at least find it in the other people quoting me.

Right. I opened this thread to just highlight some discrimination regarding gender I've found or think/wonder is discrimination, but also to highlight good stuff or role models. The thread can include discrimination met from one sex to the other and vice versa. The aim being the Bitcoin community being less about sexism and more about acceptance and using the resources of people, not what gender they are.

Leaving this almost 'as is':
The linux community you may not be part of but there are women role models like Kristen Carlson Accardi or Valerie Aurora both involved to some extent(or to a greater extent) in linux kernel development. Generally a minority of women are both gamers and/or programmers, although they are not that much "advertised", so we usually learn little unless we hunt for code commits.
For a man role model I give the example of Gavin Andresen, one of my own role models, though that doesn't mean I agree with my role model's views or anything, I have my own views and can think for myself.

Now on BTC the only woman(1 person) I know of that knows about BTC is Ladybytes. I wanna focus now on women who are in it for the love of technology, learning etc so if you know about anyone woman who's got a blog or shows interest in btc just on a neutral basis, give a shout. For anything else section has been deleted, because I'm unsure. You got any questions you are free to ask.

Why I think this is not like a separation at cost of acceptance of everyone like TradeFortress notes: I find this more like a safe haven or highlighting of discrimination. Discrimination is done worldwide and not talking about it, is what makes the problem worse. Thus this thread encourages dialogue, among what has already been posted.

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:44:43 AM

1. "Linuxchix"? Are you serious ..

We are talking about women just like men who are interested in the technology
Awesome! And gender matters how?

Being female doesn't change anything about writing code or being involved in bitcoin. If you want a more diverse group of people, you don't separate them, you let everyone join in and be a big community instead of "Women in Bitcoin", "African Americans in Bitcoin", "Buddhists in Bitcoin", etc.

Assume you're a man. You can hop into irc, get involved in the community, contribute a pull request, or start a bitcoin business.

Assume you're a woman. "Are you really a girl? You're probably a scammer" (no, seriously, look in the MPOE-PR scammer accusations thread). "Go back to the kitchen". Stalkers looking for your address.

So please explain to me how segregating gender apart even more will help. You shouldn't give a single shit what someone's gender is, what race they are, what religion they follow, or if they like ponies or frogs.
ahdinosaur

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 01:24:11 AM

Being female doesn't change anything about writing code or being involved in bitcoin. If you want a more diverse group of people, you don't separate them, you let everyone join in and be a big community instead of "Women in Bitcoin", "African Americans in Bitcoin", "Buddhists in Bitcoin", etc.

Assume you're a man. You can hop into irc, get involved in the community, contribute a pull request, or start a bitcoin business.

Assume you're a woman. "Are you really a girl? You're probably a scammer" (no, seriously, look in the MPOE-PR scammer accusations thread). "Go back to the kitchen". Stalkers looking for your address.

So please explain to me how segregating gender apart even more will help. You shouldn't give a single shit what someone's gender is, what race they are, what religion they follow, or if they like ponies or frogs.
+1
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 09:21:14 AM

Right. We are talking about women just like men who are interested in the technology or just trust the idea of BTC. I'll keep this short.

The linux community you may not be part of but there are women role models like Kristen Carlson Accardi or Valerie Aurora both involved to some extent(or to a greater extent) in linux kernel development. Generally a minority of women are both gamers and/or programmers, although they are not that much "advertised", so we usually learn little unless we hunt for code commits.

Now on BTC the only woman(1 person) I know of that knows about BTC is Ladybytes. I wanna focus now on women who are in it for the love of technology, learning etc so if you know about anyone woman who's got a blog or shows interest in btc just on a neutral basis, give a shout. For anything else(like taking off your clothes and showing your body, this is not the thread to post in, you get the drift). Women role models in Bitcoin...I know I give you a hard time. Let's gather this info on this thread.(or a thread of your choice)

Women just like men...what's that, transvestites? I don't have a weewee just like men.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 10:00:38 AM

so we usually learn little unless we hunt for code commits.
Undecided

You're doing it wrong. This should not be about role models or having a weewee or not. Our goal as a community is to make Bitcoin mainstream. If it becomes more popular then more women will use it. Simple as that.
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 10:22:44 AM

How about cats?

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 10:54:35 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2013, 02:45:54 PM by tjohej

Edit: I edited this post because I have some research to do, which I probably should have done before, but better late than never as the saying goes. I'm saving my original post locally, until I can analyze the situation. Too bad that requires time investment and too bad that "time is money", which means I may simply not have it.

I've updated my thread to be more clear. Sorry about confusion, no not transvestites. Also no segregation, just highlighting some women. Hey do you know how many men I know that are into Bitcoin? Gavin, Amir Taaki, need I say more? Jeff Garzik.

That will give impression to outside people that it's a men's technology just as women may shy away from linux.

Segregation? No. Promotion? Yes. Scrat Acorns, I covered your comment as well. Yes, we are going mainstream  Cool

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
Vernon715

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 03:51:50 AM

+1
+1234567890

Please donate: 1FfJzfpGCXD6saKqmMs8W1qt9wouhA98Mj

http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/1642

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 09:35:10 AM

like gender does matter, for ppl who care about that il have just to say one thing: ur a primitive animal!

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:20:22 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2013, 11:59:38 AM by tjohej

Edit: Post heavily edited to highlight what I want to highlight. Note to self: with so many edits maybe Bitcointalk should keep a history, like Wikipedia does. Though the downside is the huge amounts of storage required.

like gender does matter, for ppl who care about that il have just to say one thing: ur a primitive animal!
Well you're not telling that to one(1) person only, exactly...but speaking generally these may or may not be covered:

Sexual remarks and just plain general stereotyping and discrimination is very very common on Bitcoin forums. You don't see the problem, but look here. Sterotypes are so implanted in many people's brains, no?:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: