Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:14:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC vendors are they compliant?  (Read 891 times)
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 01:54:46 PM

Do they need to be and if yes are they complying with the laws of the countries they are selling to?

I am Canadian so I am curious if they are shipping units to Canada do they have to comply with CRTC regulations for "Wireless" devices?  Do they need to have a safety and standards approval to sell here like CSA or cUL?

What about tax laws, are they being adhered too?  Are they paying HST (or PST and GST etc) for units being shipped to Canada?  I am assuming most other countries would also like to collect tax revenue on goods being sold in their borders so this isn't unique to Canada.  I am also thinking that for such mickey mouse operations like the two current vendors the capital cost of determining all of the various tax and compliances issue would be huge.

So are they doing this?  I noticed on one of the vendors sites they specifically state no sales tax unless you buy from a certain state.  Unless I missed something (and that's quite possible) if you ship units into Canada and do not pay the sales tax your are operating illegally. I get that the canned response will be "sales tax is included in the sale price and we pay it" but if the tax man came knocking you have to back that up lol!

I am not sure how the whole international manufacture and sales thing works so I am hoping people here can enlighten me as I am genuinely curious. IANAL or accountant!

Lastly I noticed one vendor offering pre-orders with "NO REFUNDS" possible and I am quite certain that offering any goods or service to Canadians while not honouring a refund request is illegal here.  We have what we call a "cooling off period" which is supposed to protect consumers from snake oil salesmen and from making a bad rash purchase. Is it like this in other countries?

Maybe this is a stupid newb question and has been discussed to death in which case I apologize.
Maybe these companies are just such low level mickey mouse cowboy operations that it doesn't matter to Gov's and consumers and them?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lucif

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Clown prophet

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 02:15:34 PM

> ASIC vendors are they compliant?

No, they are slovens
Rothgar

Activity: 374

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 02:26:50 PM

I think that a more relevant question is:  Are the two ASCI vendors scams?  The answer to this question is yes.  Makes all your worry about laws irrelevant. Don't it? 

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
wasntme

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:47:43 PM

i definitely wouldn't put any money in preorders. If hardware eventually shows up then we csn have a look at wether they pay taxes or not.
Rothgar

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 04:57:05 PM

i definitely wouldn't put any money in preorders. If hardware eventually shows up then we csn have a look at wether they pay taxes or not.

Well said (except for the typo.)

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:57:17 PM

I think that a more relevant question is:  Are the two ASCI vendors scams?  The answer to this question is yes.  Makes all your worry about laws irrelevant. Don't it? 
Care to put money down on that statement?
QualitySeeds

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

Buy Ganjs Seeds with BTC @ www.qualityseeds.nl

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 05:17:26 PM

I bought at bfl...And i also have to pay customs if they track it

i think its like 30%

U can buy marijuana seeds with BTC here !!!...

www.qualityseeds.nl

Legit Service for over 4 years
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 05:34:38 PM

Good question OP.

I guess since the components are probably already individually UL listed and FCC compliant, the sum of the parts is too.

But I would get opinions from 5-6 lawyers specializing in the field before investing a lot of money.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Rothgar

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 07:22:46 PM

Think about every day they are late though.  That is a breach of contract.  So if they don't scam people out of equipment.  They are certainly scamming people out of the use of the promised product. 

It reeks of pirate.  Promise, lead people on, months later people are still asking the question, do you think he's going to pay?  My friend was scammed by BFL.  The product was supposed to be shipped before the reward halving.  Even if the product shows up, it was still a scam. 

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:30:49 PM

Think about every day they are late though.  That is a breach of contract.  So if they don't scam people out of equipment.  They are certainly scamming people out of the use of the promised product. 

It reeks of pirate.  Promise, lead people on, months later people are still asking the question, do you think he's going to pay?  My friend was scammed by BFL.  The product was supposed to be shipped before the reward halving.  Even if the product shows up, it was still a scam. 
Disagree.  They have offered a refund for anyone at any time.  Please tell me what definition of "scam" that fits.  If a customer doesn't like it, they can get a full refund.

If they weren't allowing refunds, I'd agree with you.  But anyone who wants out can get out at no cost to them (aside from opportunity cost).  This is exactly how every other business works.
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:50:46 PM

Listen to this guy! ^^ He paid the approximate equivalent of $8k for 2 single SCs($2600), so he knows a scam when he sees one. Cool

Rothgar

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 08:19:28 PM

They are dishonest, and poorly organized. 

If you think differently I'm sorry.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 09:42:38 PM

Listen to this guy! ^^ He paid the approximate equivalent of $8k for 2 single SCs($2600), so he knows a scam when he sees one. Cool
No, I paid $2600 for 2 Single SC's.  The unit of currency with which I paid would be worth $8k today, yes, but at the time, was worth $2600.

They are dishonest, and poorly organized. 

If you think differently I'm sorry.
Poorly organized?  I could agree to that one - at least they were in the past, but they are getting better in that regard.  Dishonest?  Nope.  They are (and always have been) providing best estimates based on the facts they have on hand.  They had some hiccups along the road that caused delays that they could not foresee.  They have withheld information in the past to not give their competitors an advantage over them, but they have never lied (that I am aware of).  Any misstatements that were made were due to lack of communication between employees of the company, again, bringing us back to point #1 of being poorly organized.
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:56:45 PM

Well a unit appears to have arrived today...
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 11:11:20 PM

I bought at bfl...And i also have to pay customs if they track it

i think its like 30%

Are all applicable taxes covered when this customs "fee" is paid?
Rothgar

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 01:58:35 PM

So avolons shipped.  Hooray someone came through. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: