Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:09:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stats about who reads what ?  (Read 1065 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:16:06 PM

It would be very interesting to see who reads what. If we had the ip-ranges of different authorities, we could see what they were interested in at this forum.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:20:25 PM

+1
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:35:24 PM

Yes, let's get rid of this superfluous privacy and anonymity. It hinders the hand of the free market.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:38:46 PM

Yes, let's get rid of this superfluous privacy and anonymity. It hinders the hand of the free market.

the forum is already colleting ip-adresses. What I am thinking about is to get the ip-ranges of various 3-letter agencies and other relevant authorities, and then show stats as to what they're looking at. Smiley

I didn't mean to show what everyone at the forum is looking at.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:42:36 PM

the forum is already colleting ip-adresses. What I am thinking about is to get the ip-ranges of various 3-letter agencies and other relevant authorities, and then show stats as to what they're looking at. Smiley

If you want privacy you must give privacy to everyone, even "the enemy". Otherwise you just become "the enemy" yourself.
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:42:37 PM

i wouldnt have a problem that anybody would knew what i read - just because theymos could already do this.
if i really want to stay anonymous i would not use my login data to read a thread
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:46:20 PM

If you want privacy you must give privacy to everyone, even "the enemy". Otherwise you just become "the enemy" yourself.

I wasn't particulariy looking at enemies per se, but what about investment banks and financial institutions. It would be telling if a financial institution had hundreds of pageviews here everyday, yet declined to do business with any bitcoin related company.

Well, if one wanted to anonymize the data somewhat, it would still be interesting to see what countries watch the forum the most. That would not give away too much ?

I would think there's some stats plugins to smf that could easily be added and put in here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=stats
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 02:48:17 PM

While I don't really care what people see me view on this forum I don't really see the purpose of it, it's a bit like trying to get people to pay to enter the site, yeah, it might seem a good idea, but it doesn't add very much to the forum and may just in fact drive people away unnecessarily.

I don't really see what there is to gain from it, aside from people who might want to data farm like facebook of course, who gives a crap if companies like banks are looking in on us?
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 02:56:26 PM

While I don't really care what people see me view on this forum I don't really see the purpose of it, it's a bit like trying to get people to pay to enter the site, yeah, it might seem a good idea, but it doesn't add very much to the forum and may just in fact drive people away unnecessarily.

I don't really see what there is to gain from it, aside from people who might want to data farm like facebook of course, who gives a crap if companies like banks are looking in on us?

So having a pie chart of who comes from where in the world is uninteresting. Would it not be interesting to know how many are from the US vs. Russia and so on ?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 12:20:25 AM

I'm not a nosy bugger so no, not really Tongue if I want to know where someone is from I'll just ask them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: