Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:25:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming downtime  (Read 4337 times)
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 03:24:06 PM

I use chrome as well. I've tested it when I get the 502's and I'll open Firefox 19 and get the same error. Only lasts for a minute or two. When you first switched, it was longer, now, just momentarily.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sounds

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 06:53:14 PM

Just got a 502 for a few seconds
21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:23:24 AM

The last two days I've been getting major lag again. I just had a couple errors on Chrome saying that the server shut down the connection, or something like that. First time I had seen the error.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:23:59 AM

I improved some more settings and restarted the web server.

I will probably switch to a much more powerful server in a week or two. I've been making arrangements.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
21after2

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:26:14 AM

That would do it then, lol.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:12:18 AM

I improved some more settings and restarted the web server.

I will probably switch to a much more powerful server in a week or two. I've been making arrangements.
Can we know the details so that we can help?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 12:24:53 PM

Getting the 502 error every couple of hours or so.

Spawn more overlords fastcgi instances. PHP-FPM has this adaptive spawning feature to handle load spikes. If you are memory starved you can do a custom PHP build (--disable-all and enable only what SMF is using) which will make the processes a lot leaner.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 10:03:32 PM

The forum is neraly unsualble today.

I hope we are ddosed or something. If not this really needs to be fixed ASAP. It's not OK if the forum collapses everytime we get a huge amount of visitors.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 10:09:02 PM

The point is that we could help... Hell I manage 50M pageviews daily... But there is no collaboration at all from the admin.

It must be a plot to make bitcoin look less professional so that we have more time unitil it explodes.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
21after2

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 10:39:21 PM

I hope we are ddosed or something. If not this really needs to be fixed ASAP. It's not OK if the forum collapses everytime we get a huge amount of visitors.

I agree. I had multiple 500 errors today (500, 502, and 503), and it seems like the forum was completely down for quite a while.

theymos, was this because of new changes again? We need to be more pro-active about forum stability and software if we want to match forum growth, and the growth of Bitcoin as a whole.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 12:16:42 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2013, 12:43:55 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

I agree. I had multiple 500 errors today (500, 502, and 503), and it seems like the forum was completely down for quite a while.

theymos, was this because of new changes again? We need to be more pro-active about forum stability and software if we want to match forum growth, and the growth of Bitcoin as a whole.

Same here. This is the first time I've been able to stay on BT for an extended period of time, and have no guarantee that I'll be able to post this post. I've had the 500, 502, and 503 errors as well all day. Along with an SSL warning of some type via Chrome (using Vista on laptop) and another really weird warning I've never seen before, nor bother to remember. Taxing my memory, it read similar to an SSL type warning, yet completely different.

Any chance the meteor had anything to do with this?  Roll Eyes

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~

EDIT: Had a 504 (first time) Gateway Problem when I posted this and this is the first time I've been able to get back on BT. Compare timestamps with original and edit version of this post to see the difference.
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 12:51:46 AM

theymos, it is time to make a choice. This forum is running on the crappiest forum software out there. SMF 1 was released in 2003, that's 10 years ago. It is still using <tables> for formatting for crying out loud. This dinosaur cannot support a community like this. Even SMF 2 would be an improvement at this point. A faster server won't make the problem go away, it's just like patching a wound with duct tape.

Your other post about developing forum software makes absolutely no sense. Even if you paid 3 people to develop custom forum software it would take months for a working solution and at least a year for it to become stable enough. It's only a case with big companies that they develop their own forum software, the reason being that it's a huge undertaking to do something like that. There are many commercial options available right now which are already deployed on websites handling 50K+ concurrent visitors. They all support plugins so bitcoin specific parts can be developed by the community after the fact.
21after2

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 01:36:14 AM

EDIT: Had a 504 (first time) Gateway Problem when I posted this and this is the first time I've been able to get back on BT. Compare timestamps with original and edit version of this post to see the difference.

Just had one myself. It's taking upwards of two minutes to load a page, if it loads at all.
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 01:59:46 AM

Just became usable for me.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 02:14:52 AM

theymos please enable cloudflare caching and ddos protection, the forum is not usable lately.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 02:16:49 AM

No. Traffic is much higher, but I don't know exactly why it gets so slow. Memory usage seems fine now. Things improve after I restart mysql, php-fpm, etc., but then the site gradually slows down over time.

As I said, I'm making arrangements to move to a better server. This isn't as easy as it sounds because I don't (and won't) control any of the forum's critical assets other than the BTC. So I need to get someone trustworthy to buy the server (this part seems OK, but not done yet), and I need to get Sirius to update the DNS (I haven't heard from him yet).

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 02:19:51 AM

... and I need to get Sirius to update the DNS (I haven't heard from him yet).

Damn, didn't know that, so cloudflare is out of the question.

I would be more than happy to help out if needed, just ask.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
21after2

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 02:23:52 AM

No. Traffic is much higher, but I don't know exactly why it gets so slow. Memory usage seems fine now. Things improve after I restart mysql, php-fpm, etc., but then the site gradually slows down over time.

As I said, I'm making arrangements to move to a better server. This isn't as easy as it sounds because I don't (and won't) control any of the forum's critical assets other than the BTC. So I need to get someone trustworthy to buy the server (this part seems OK, but not done yet), and I need to get Sirius to update the DNS (I haven't heard from him yet).

Any estimated time frame on the server buy? I knew traffic was getting higher, but I'm surprised it's had this much of an affect on the site. I guess there's a silver lining in all the lag, at least. Smiley
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 02:34:34 AM

I don't think that it's a bandwidth/DDoS problem. I think that the server's hardware is just too weak to handle this much traffic.

Any estimated time frame on the server buy?

Less than a week, hopefully.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: