Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:52:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Drama from BitcoinASIC  (Read 21843 times)
polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 02:56:15 PM

From what's been posted, he's user 111 on BTCGuild. He's mining there at 60GH/s right now.
https://www.btcguild.com/halloffame.php
So he's trying to earn those BTC to repay by mining day by day?

Maybe he should have paid down for an Avalon or 10 to speed up the process

Don't doubt it - anyone holding loads of BTC are in good position to order a MiniRig at $30K and hash their pants off.

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 03:21:57 PM

From what's been posted, he's user 111 on BTCGuild. He's mining there at 60GH/s right now.
So he's trying to earn those BTC to repay by mining day by day?

Don't doubt it - anyone holding loads of BTC are in good position to order a MiniRig at $30K and hash their pants off.

Interesting! Very interesting! Very, very interesting! What are the chances that he currently has a mining rig(s) on order at either BFL or Avalon? He would have had to supply a mailing address at time of ordering. I'm not advocating that either entity relay said info publicly, but I'm sure there's something they could do when the time comes to aid in an investigation if such were the case.
polrpaul

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 03:50:59 PM

Interesting! Very interesting! Very, very interesting! What are the chances that he currently has a mining rig(s) on order at either BFL or Avalon? He would have had to supply a mailing address at time of ordering. I'm not advocating that either entity relay said info publicly, but I'm sure there's something they could do when the time comes to aid in an investigation if such were the case.

Absolutely! I would guess he would pre-order from both of those vendors, especially BFL being domestic, and BFL is likely the most responsible (in bes place) to aid in an investigation.

What else would you expect from a: "Bitcoin Entrapenuer and early adopter"
http://www.gplusdata.com/profile/7082417778531020969/thomas-van-riper

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
polrpaul

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 04:30:42 PM

Also, and somebody else would have to look into this aspect, Tom Van Riper not only collect money for mining units, but also extra to handle S/H. Is there anyway to get the Postal General involve?

Oh absolutely! If his customers pursue to the fullest extent, it's definitely going to land in mail fraud territory too.

What about Tax evasion? We don't know, can't prove it, but it seems plausible - was BTCFPGA web cart adding the appropriate State sales tax?

Anyone running a retail business and not charging sales tax is likely not filing their income tax return accurately either...

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 04:37:09 PM

Also, and somebody else would have to look into this aspect, Tom Van Riper not only collect money for mining units, but also extra to handle S/H. Is there anyway to get the Postal General involve?

Oh absolutely! If his customers pursue to the fullest extent, it's definitely going to land in mail fraud territory too.

What about Tax evasion? We don't know, can't prove it, but it seems plausible - was BTCFPGA web cart adding the appropriate State sales tax?

Anyone running a retail business and not charging sales tax is likely not filing their income tax return accurately either...

I think sales tax only applies to people who live in NY, since that is where the business is located.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 06:07:55 PM

By the way if he is one of the people that ordered more than 30 Avalon of batch #1, then I'm willing to settle my outstanding BTC refund with Tom by accepting the equivalent in Avalon units...
puck2

Activity: 234
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 06:25:06 PM

Two more thoughts.

What are the chances that Tom's still mining, and if he is, is he doing such via a pool. And if that's the case, can his IP be traced?

I can't phantom a hungry family of six on the lamb with a Bitcoin mining rig in tow.

So that's about 9 BTC per day? Honestly, at this point I don't really care WHEN I get my refund... If Tom would (re)express intent to refund and show schedule to refund via mining proceeds - and subsequently begin executing upon said schedule, that will work for me. I think a LOT of vitriol here will dissipate if even a FEW Bitcoins start flowing back to BTCFPGA/bitcoinASIC customers.
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 06:35:37 PM

So that's about 9 BTC per day? Honestly, at this point I don't really care WHEN I get my refund... If Tom would (re)express intent to refund and show schedule to refund via mining proceeds - and subsequently begin executing upon said schedule, that will work for me. I think a LOT of vitriol here will dissipate if even a FEW Bitcoins start flowing back to BTCFPGA/bitcoinASIC customers.

Yes a published reimbursement plan for BTC users would go a long way.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 07:21:50 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2013, 12:07:25 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

I think sales tax only applies to people who live in NY, since that is where the business is located.

In this case, then we only need one person who resides in the state of New York who ordered from Tom and paid with Bitcoin. If sales tax wasn't included, he's in trouble. If sales tax was included, and he didn't pay the state of New York what he collected, he's in trouble.

Come to think of it, for the type and size of business he was operating, the business should be registered with the state of New York to give him a tax number. Without a tax number, how and why did the CC companies collect, then deposited, funds into his bank account? Would they not have done due diligence prior to setting up an account? I'm not sure what the proper terminology would be, but I can't envision a CC company processing a single payment from a resident of NY for a product sold in NY that doesn't have sales tax applied.
100%digital

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 07:25:45 PM

this entire mess is a cluster fuck. I dont see Tom doing anything on his own merit (regarding refund), he's gonna sit tight and patiently wait for this mess to go away. Untill  he's served legal papers or a fist sandwich -i just dont see him doing anything... again, we need to take action against him to force his hand. i'm telling you, he just gonna wait this one out... perhaps a CL ad's for someone that is local to his area???
MichaelBliss

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 07:34:31 PM

this entire mess is a cluster fuck. I dont see Tom doing anything on his own merit (regarding refund), he's gonna sit tight and patiently wait for this mess to go away. Untill  he's served legal papers or a fist sandwich -i just dont see him doing anything... again, we need to take action against him to force his hand. i'm telling you, he just gonna wait this one out... perhaps a CL ad's for someone that is local to his area???

Or he'll just wait while the price of BTC rises, refund at USD equivilent (no, Tom never said the conversion is when the refund was requested, that's a pipe dream),   then if the rally holds up for another month or two, he can "refund" all the BTC, and still profit make 200% off your money.  Since most people accept this USD / conversion nonsense (even though Tom never actually converted the BTC!), I really don't see why he wouldn't do that, then maybe apologize for taking so long due to some familly issues or something..\

He could buy himself a nice house with the profits, and still avoid being seen as a scammer by the community.  Can't really blame him, since he's effectively been given permission to do just that. 
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 07:35:55 PM

How much does he own you the community?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
neotrix

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 08:27:46 PM

I didnt followed all story anyway if as I read Tom is still owning all btc not converted, he can now convert getting double usd price and alo making 100% profit without scam anybody... Really BTC world is a paradise for scammer...

Crypto-trade.com : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149458.0
https://koddos.com and http://kovpslayer.com.  "Bitcointalkdiscount" to get 10% discount recurring.
Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 08:44:31 PM

I didnt followed all story anyway if as I read Tom is still owning all btc not converted, he can now convert getting double usd price and alo making 100% profit without scam anybody... Really BTC world is a paradise for scammer...

yet some idiot still believe this whole mess is just a business going bad.

There is no proof whatsoever that Tom spend on chips developing, wafers contract...etc. Basically for such dumb argument to make sense, there must be a proof of a business operating. LOL not even LLC registered under the name BTCFPGA or BASIC.

Suckers born every minute, yet somehow they all end in this community.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 09:10:19 PM

Some people lost some serious dough, stop adding salt to their wounds.

Did you honestly ever think Tom was pulling a scam up until things started to unravel? Hindsight is 20/20, however I don't think anyone but maybe a select few people in the community saw this coming.
polrpaul

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 09:15:10 PM

Some people lost some serious dough, stop adding salt to their wounds.

Did you honestly ever think Tom was pulling a scam up until things started to unravel? Hindsight is 20/20, however I don't think anyone but maybe a select few people in the community saw this coming.

... including Tom himself? lol

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 09:26:29 PM

Yeah, Tom, at this point is a lowlife scammer fuck(which Ive beens screaming scam since the start of january, but Ive been banned nearly everywhere...fuck his sheepish followers...you are all fools!). He deserves the tag and all his belongings / wealth to burn to the ground. Its a damn shame. Just goes to show you cant trust any mother fuckin ASIC company till they actually deliver product... and then, its still questionable bout what happens when units start failing and the company is long gone. Fuck this whole mess, it pisses me off.
I went w/ tom because of his decent track record w/ MMQ.
Just sad he would do this to us =(

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
polrpaul

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 09:59:13 PM

Yeah, Tom, at this point is a lowlife scammer fuck(which Ive beens screaming scam since the start of january, but Ive been banned nearly everywhere...fuck his sheepish followers...you are all fools!). He deserves the tag and all his belongings / wealth to burn to the ground. Its a damn shame. Just goes to show you cant trust any mother fuckin ASIC company till they actually deliver product... and then, its still questionable bout what happens when units start failing and the company is long gone. Fuck this whole mess, it pisses me off.
I went w/ tom because of his decent track record w/ MMQ.
Just sad he would do this to us =(

GenTarkin, can you elaborate on "decent track record w/ MMQ" - did he deliver any (how many)?

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 10:08:36 PM

Yeah, Im sure he did, theres one for sale in the forums as we speak. He was very honest back then. If he wasnt, there would have been tons of drama in the forums over him and he would have had the scammer tag long ago. Also, the units people wont as a result of advertising bASIC for him in forums...they confirmed receiving them too.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 10:37:37 PM

What was the last time tom was seen/met at N.Y. state?
No one met him in January. Is it possible he was performing all the game remotely already in December or even in November?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: